Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that the Tire and Loading label (drivers side door) on my 20D states maximum weight (cargo and passenger) not to exceed 965lbs whereas the GVW would allow a max load of 1510lbs. Anyone also noticed the discrepancy?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I noticed the other day that the Tire and Loading label (drivers side door) on my 20D states maximum weight (cargo and passenger) not to exceed 965lbs whereas the GVW would allow a max load of 1510lbs. Anyone also noticed the discrepancy?
Maybe the total also has an allowance for tongue weight from a trailer? Would seem to match up...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shoudnt make any difference how you 'load' up your car I would think. the weight of people, cargo, and trailer should not exceed 1510lbs as per GVW definition, or in the case of the Tire label not exceed 965lbs. Something is amiss here.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Something is amiss here.
Will rummage through cars at the dealer next time I visit to see if different tire combos have different values for limits on the sticker. But it looks like the tires aren't rated to go all the way to the GVWR? Did you look at the values on the tires themselves? Do they add up to the limit you see on the sticker (after doing more math to account for vehicle weight)?
The article linked below also mentions that light trucks and SUVs have tire ratings scaled back to 91% of the limits allowed for passenger cars. But I'm not sure how that would affect labeling on the vehicle.
Tire Tech Information - Tire Specs Explained: Maximum Load

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max weight for each tire (Continental 255/55R19) is 2043lbs so there is quite a safety margin between tire max and max GVWR (5423lbs). The net weight of my 20d is 3913lbs. I am at a loss why the tire load sticker says 965lbs max.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two different load settings for the car. First is Normal Load. This calls for the cars tire pressure to be set at 43 PSI. Normal Load will carry the maximum occupant and cargo weight plus any trailer hitch (tongue) weight up to the maximum GVW. The second setting is called Light Load and is meant to carry up to three passengers (could be more depending on their weight):eek: plus cargo/tongue weight not to exceed 965 Lbs.

You can change the settings from Normal to Light in the Settings menu on the dash. Of course the tire pressure should be set accordingly.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MKenM - I couldnt find in the manual or anywhere else that 'Light Load' is not to exceed 965lbs which may very well be. Can you point me to the relevant information? The label in my car (I wish I knew how to upload a picture) says 965lbs at 40psi which I thought refers to the 'Normal Load'. Interestingly enough my SA could not get a satisfactory answer from Jaguar other than their merely restating information on the various labels without remarking on the obvious discrepancy. My SA agrees that something is amiss but also said he exhausted all Jaguar resources, hence my turning to the forum.
One of the reasons I bought the car is for its increased payload (1510lbs) versus my previous VW Sportwagen's (the polluter!) 1020lbs. I will be really disappointed if the F-Pace has a lower payload than the smaller Sportwagen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MKenM - thanks for pointing out the reference in the manual. Again, the manual states that at Normal Load (at 38psi), the maximum load is up to max GVW. The question still remains what the maximum GVW is for this car as per the various labels attached. The manual also describes under "Steps for Determining Correct Load Limits" the procedure which says: Locate the statement "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs" on your vehicle's placard. Now, that statement mirrors exactly what is written on my tire label with a max payload of 965lbs. Still not clear to me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
From the online catalog:

WEIGHT
Weight from lb 3,913
Gross vehicle weight lb 5,423
Towing Capacity lb 5,290

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MKenM - what do online weight numbers mean to you as opposed to the label i posted?

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
From JLR's web site today.

Towing System - Towing Receiver, NAS
Towing System - Towing Receiver, NAS
The F-PACE bespoke towing system is optimised to work alongside the Trailer Stability Assist traction control system. This system detects when a dangerous trailer sway situation is developing and helps to regain control by gradually reducing speed through cutting engine power and applying the brakes. The towing receiver for NAS market has an approved towing capacity up to 5,291lb, 386lb nose load. Trailer hitch kit available separately. Rear undertray and towing module are required for fitment.
Price: $720.00
Price excludes installation costs and taxes. Please see your Retailer for details.
Reference #: T4A6273

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
ALRIGHTY NOW !!! Hey jkot5779 , *GR* is about to "Break It Down For Ya" !!!

5423-lbs. GVWR
- 3913-lbs. Empty Vehicle Weight (without Fuel)
= 1510-lbs. Carrying Capacity
- 960-lbs. Occupants + Cargo weight
- 386-lbs. Tongue Weight of Trailer
- 116-lbs. Diesel Fuel (15.9 gals X 7.3-lbs. per gallon)
- ??-lbs. DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)

And that pretty much gets you down to ZERO lbs. left !!!
Now keep in mind , if you are not pulling a Trailer , you can ADD that "Tongue Weight (386-lbs.)" back into your "Occupants and Cargo" weight !!! Which would take it to 1346-lbs. !!!
I hope this helps !!! Sincerely , *GR* :)

Reactions: ndabunka and MKenM

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Spoken just like an expert!
Thank You , Kind Sir !!!
I did notice that you did not say that I "WAS" an "EXPERT" , but that I merely "Spoke" like one !!! >:)
Oh' well , a step in the right direction , I guess !!! ;)

Reactions: MKenM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GRVR - thank you for breaking it down for me but it does not appear to be quite right, even when spoken by the Expert ;). The fuel tank (full) and DEF is part of the Vehicle's Curb Weight (in my case 3913lbs). The tongue weight is part of the 'Cargo' as per owners manual. See extract hereunder. I did sent Jaguar USA an e-mail to ask for clarification. Hopefully they will respond in the next several days.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final verdict from Jaguar Technical Team on Max Load -

After more than a month of back and forth with Jaguar USA Customer Relations. and several incorrect answers initially by Customer Relations, they finally provided the answer: the max load, passengers, driver, cargo, trailer hitch weight etc is as per the Tire and Load Label. In my case, the label states 960lbs (see picture earlier in this thread). That is paltry for an SUV the size of the F-Pace and less than my VW Passat (1115lbs). This is obviously disappointing as I was going under the assumption that the max load would be closer to 1510lbs as per calculated Gross Vehicle Weight minus Curb Weight. With that, the F-Pace is not quite SUV-like after all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts