Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I step out of my FP S and lift my butt from the driver's seat, I hear somewhat of a thud from the front of the car. Sounds like it's coming from under the hood. I weigh about 175, so it's not like the car moves/shifts an abnormal amount when I stop out of the car, but apparently the movement is enough to cause this sound. Anyone else experience this or know what it is? I don't have any other unusual symptoms.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I hear this as well, I think there is some type of louver closing as well. It's not so much a thud to me, but more like a plastic part with a seal closing. Does anyone know what specifically this would be? I haven't looked and I'm traveling so my F-Pace is 1000 miles away.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow auto correct really butchered my first reply...LOL !!!

PA-Fpace-F: It's the louvers. I've gotten out fast enough and looked back to watch them close. If you aren't expecting it you wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How quick ate you exiting the car. I've noticed I can here the louvers closing while exiting sometimes.
Pretty quickly I guess. I'm going to wait a bit before I get out of the car later to see if that makes a difference. I'll report back.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
It's not a thud sound, but we continue to have problems with the plastic mirror housing making creaking noises when opening and closing the door.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just a thought, could it be the electronic parking brake engaging?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
When I hear that engage, it is more of an electronic whirring sound than any thud or clunk.
Guys, I'm sorry what louvers? I guess I'm not very observant, 5800 miles on my F-pace and I have no idea what louvers your talking about. Again I'd go out and look at it more closely rather than asking, but I'm sitting in Iowa right now, catching a plane to Denver tomorrow, and my F-Pace is still at the Jag Dealership in PA.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys, I'm sorry what louvers? I guess I'm not very observant, 5800 miles on my F-pace and I have no idea what louvers your talking about. Again I'd go out and look at it more closely rather than asking, but I'm sitting in Iowa right now, catching a plane to Denver tomorrow, and my F-Pace is still at the Jag Dealership in PA.

When you get back to your F-Pace, look through the the grill opening and you will see the louvers...

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Why do the louvers close? I assume they are open when driving, so what's the harm if they stay open when you park?
I don't believe they're always open while driving. I think it depends on the temp and environmental factors in whether they're open or closed.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
When you get back to your F-Pace, look through the the grill opening and you will see the louvers...
Thanks for the reply, that is exactly where the sound comes from when I get out of my F-Pace, so are these louvers for something specific? Do they close off the air intake to the engine or brake vents?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to the guys on here, I re-evaluated this situation and figured out that the noise is not triggered by my getting out of the car. I would still describe it as a thud or bang though, and it occurs about 2 or 3 seconds after the car is shut down. Maybe I'll ask my SA next time I'm there (which hopefully won't be for a long time).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks to the guys on here, I re-evaluated this situation and figured out that the noise is not triggered by my getting out of the car. I would still describe it as a thud or bang though, and it occurs about 2 or 3 seconds after the car is shut down. Maybe I'll ask my SA next time I'm there (which hopefully won't be for a long time).
Pleas report back after determining the culprit, I've just noticed the same sound/location as you have mentioned.

·
Registered
617 Posts
When I step out of my FP S and lift my butt from the driver's seat, I hear somewhat of a thud from the front of the car. Sounds like it's coming from under the hood. I weigh about 175, so it's not like the car moves/shifts an abnormal amount when I stop out of the car, but apparently the movement is enough to cause this sound. Anyone else experience this or know what it is? I don't have any other unusual symptoms.
EagleJag is there a dealership resolution to your "thud sound" (louvers closing), I'm having that same issue.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EagleJag is there a dealership resolution to your "thud sound" (louvers closing), I'm having that same issue.
No resolution, but to be honest, I forgot to mention it when I went in for the telematics unit replacement. At this point, I'm not too concerned about it being a problem, although I am still am curious as to what it could be.

I will say that I did have to go to the dealer twice for the telematics unit issue, so the dealer certainly had the opportunity to hear the sound since it occurs each time the car is shut off. I'm assuming that if were something problematic, they would have let me know. My biggest concern was that something was wrong with the suspension, since it seemed to occur each time I stepped out of the car. But after some more careful attention, even if I remain in my seat I still hear the sound.

If I find out anything further, I will report back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts