Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, anyone else invest in Tata Motors? My small portfolio has some shares... I am no financial wiz, just invest in companies I believe in. Considering dropping some more $$$ with the recent news of them expanding the electric and self driving divisions (hiring some 5,000 engineers).

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts
I have a 1,000 shares, kind of even with where I bought it last year. The market is pretty down on car companies (other than Ferrari) with valuations very low, lots of headwinds; massive industry overcapacity, huge winds of change blowing, protectionism rising, BREXIT impact on JLR unknown, late in US car cycle, too much consumer car debt, etc. Bought it on low valuation and potential for JLR to grow faster than industry.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I dabble in the markets a little..but if I could find a good POT STOCK to build into..I'd concentrate on that...I'm surprised you Colorado boys don't have a handle on that.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Unless you are willing to research and spend lots of time and hand wringing over market buys, it is much better to find an advisor you are comfortable with and have them manage it for you.
It isn't how much money they make, its how much money they make you, while you go on with your life and fugettabout it... Don't have time to stress over things I know nothing about....

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts
....or just buy a Vanguard target date fund, slowly, over a couple of years.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Tata dropped in morning trading to an all time low of $31.20, (6.95%) - 52 week range is 31.20 - 32.15. Does anyone have any additional information as to why?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nope, when i took my finiance class for my MBa, our instructor told us the stock market is not for small investors. People buy stock hoping to sell it later to someone for more than they paid. People in general don't make money off the market. And if you consider the future value of money, you are almost sinking your money.

Now if you can get into a large buying fund, that is different.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good think I didn't take your MBA course, or I wouldn't have an F-Pace purchased with stock profits. As they say, those that can't, teach.

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts
Tata dropped in morning trading to an all time low of $31.20, (6.95%) - 52 week range is 31.20 - 32.15. Does anyone have any additional information as to why?

- slump in domestic demand for Tata trucks and cars in India
- lower net operating income for JLR, attributed to costs of new product launches, however substantially more gross revenue for JRL YOY
- net income was up but primarily due to a one time accounting change in JLR pension accounting

CEO: "results have not met our expectations" "expect major cost reductions in India""

https://www.ft.com/content/58d243a3-ed0d-3c13-9ee5-5f1c1b9b09ab

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good think I didn't take your MBA course, or I wouldn't have an F-Pace purchased with stock profits. As they say, those that can't, teach.
are your profits from buying off the market and selling on the market? or did you have stock options that you exercised?

My teacher suggested we all purchase houses and rent them out. Which sounded like a PITA. We told him that as an owner you would be responsible for upkeep. I didn't believe everything he said. But I then read that people who sell stock trend info make more money then the people who purchase it.

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts
from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/theresa-may-just-warned-of-a-no-deal-brexit-here-are-some-of-the-doomsday-scenarios/2018/09/17/3507ab2c-943b-11e8-818b-e9b7348cd87d_story.html

“Ralf Speth, the top executive of Britain’s largest car manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, warned last week that his factories might stop running and “tens of thousands” of jobs could be lost if the country fails to reach a deal with Brussels, according to the Telegraph newspaper.

“Brexit is due to happen on March 29 next year,” Speth told an automotive conference. “Currently, I do not even know if any of our manufacturing facilities in the UK will be able to function on March 30.

“Bluntly,” he warned, “we will not be able to build cars if the motorway to and from Dover becomes a car park, where the vehicle carrying parts is stationary.””

Let’s see threats of US tariff of 25%, concern rising about Britain “falling” out of E.U.- no wonder TTM cut by 50% this past few months, at least Vlad ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
JLR cuts production at U.K. plant amid slow demand
Nick Gibbs

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180917/COPY01/309179953/jlr-cuts-production-at-u-k-plant-amid-slow-demand?cciid=email-autonews-daily

LONDON -- Jaguar Land Rover is cutting production to three days at one of its key U.K. plants, as it deals with the fallout with the Brexit vote and a big drop in diesel demand.

The automaker's Castle Bromwich plant in Birmingham, central England, will operate a three-day week from October until the beginning of December in a move which will affect around 1,000 staff but avoid job cuts, a JLR spokeswoman said.

The plant builds the Jaguar XE midsize sedan, XF large sedan and wagon, the XJ sedan and F-Type sports car.

"In light of the continuing headwinds impacting the car industry, we are making some temporary adjustments to our production schedules at Castle Bromwich," the company said in a statement.

Jaguar Land Rover's U.K. sales have fallen 8 percent through August according to the automaker's figures, while European sales excluding the U.K. have fallen 11 percent.

Automakers in the U.K. have seen sales shift to cheaper cars after the Brexit vote pushed the value of the pound down. That has impacted sales of premium manufacturers such as JLR.

JLR also has blamed the industrywide fall in demand for diesel cars across Europe for the declining sales that have impacted more diesel-dependent premium brands. About 90 percent of Jaguar Land Rover's sales in Britain are diesel models, which compares with around 45 percent globally, the company said earlier this year.

Content from IHS Markit

EV Charging Infrastructure Forecast and Report

Vehicle electrification is one of the most impactful and long-term trends in the automotive industry. For OEMs to comply with impending carbon dioxide legislation and regional emissions targets, alternative propulsion vehicles are entering OEM product portfolios.
Read more >

Jaguar models built in Castle Bromwich have been hit particularly hard, with sales of the XE down 25 percent globally, XF sales down 17 percent, XJ down 45 percent and F-Type down 24 percent. Over half Jaguar sales are now the F-Pace and E-Pace crossovers, suggesting buyers are shunning Jaguar’s traditional sedans.

In April JLR said it had cut 1,000 agency jobs at Solihull and had shifted over workers from Castle Bromwich to make up the shortfall. JLR says it has 2,700 workers at the plant, its smallest in the UK, with a production capacity of 53,000 units a year.

Earlier this month JLR CEO Ralf Speth warned that tens of thousands of jobs were at risk across its U.K. operations if the country failed to negotiate a good deal with Europe after it leaves the EU next March. He also said that the government had demonized diesel cars, contributing to job losses at the company.

Diesel sales have fallen this year nearly 30 percent in Britain, Europe's second-biggest car market, mirroring similar drops in other major markets, as governments crack down on the segment in the wake of Volkswagen emissions scandal

Castle Bromwich was saved from closure when Tata Group bought JLR from Ford Motor in 2008.

Reuters contributed to this report.

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
More great news for TMM, not. If you designed a company to take the brunt of all the BS going on in the world these days TTM would be it.

Jaguar Land Rover to shut its Solihull plant for two weeks as Chinese sales slump

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/09/jaguar-land-rover-to-shut-solihull-plant-for-two-weeks-as-chinese-sales-slump.html
Related to this, is this, as one who has been looking at the 2019 Mustang Bullitt, this BS is hitting other makers as well:

Ford Plans Layoffs After $1 Billion Trump Tariff Hit
Some 12 percent of Ford workers worldwide could be out of a job.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ford-poised-for-layoffs-after-1-billion-trade-war-hit_us_5bbbce51e4b01470d05445e5

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sell your shares as the pundits here are forcasting that Tata owned JLR will not survive too far into 2019.
Sales have slumped particularly on Saloons / Sedans and Diesel vehicles in all markets and 2 of the UK plants are on short time until Christmas to stem continued overproduction. Unsold Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles are being stored in various locations around the Midlands area of the UK. No chance of the UK government bailing out JLR so the Chinese could have a bargain if they wait long enough. A sad situation for the UK vehicle manufacturing sector.

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts
Sell your shares as the pundits here are forcasting that Tata owned JLR will not survive too far into 2019.
Sales have slumped particularly on Saloons / Sedans and Diesel vehicles in all markets and 2 of the UK plants are on short time until Christmas to stem continued overproduction. Unsold Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles are being stored in various locations around the Midlands area of the UK. No chance of the UK government bailing out JLR so the Chinese could have a bargain if they wait long enough. A sad situation for the UK vehicle manufacturing sector.
Ahhh...the unhappy Jag basher is back. We have a politician here who uses similar phraseology “people tell me all the time”, sounds similar to “pundits here are forecasting.”

I agree JLR has some serious issues including UK’s self inflicted gunshot to the head of BREXIT but think 2019 is too early for demise. Not, BTW, that I would recommend TTM to anyone though it has to be one of the lowest valued of vehicle manufacturers in the world.

Have they fixed those driveline problems you purported a while back everyone knows about?

·
Registered
77 Posts
First of all I am not an unhappy Jag basher as you have described having bought 8 new Jags since 2004 and still have older models which are cherished. I will be very unhappy if the JLR TATA relationship ends in tears as a great deal of investment had been made here in the UK but the quality issues and the slump in diesel sales has affected the company very badly.
JLR have not solved the driveline vibration mainly on the F pace 2.0 litre models and some Range Rover models but the get out now is that after the motoring press in Europe highlighted the issues JLR have now put out a statement claiming that it is a "characteristic of the vehicle". This followed the rejection from dissatisfied customers who rightly considered that a Jaguar F Pace should not have an irritating problem in the transmisson. However they accepted the rejection of my F Pace with the problem and exchanged it for an AWD 250 Diesel XF Sportbrake which I am delighted with and has restored my confidence in the brand.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ahhh...the unhappy Jag basher is back. We have a politician here who uses similar phraseology “people tell me all the time”, sounds similar to “pundits here are forecasting.”

I agree JLR has some serious issues including UK’s self inflicted gunshot to the head of BREXIT but think 2019 is too early for demise. Not, BTW, that I would recommend TTM to anyone though it has to be one of the lowest valued of vehicle manufacturers in the world.

Have they fixed those driveline problems you purported a while back everyone knows about?
Yeah. Looks like about half of all analysts still have Tata rated as a buy. I don't think the sky is falling just yet.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts