Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had or got an issue with wind noise from around 70mph & above
it sounds a little like a window is not quite shut
yet the tech guys (whatever happend to proper mechanics )
cant find any issues
they can hear the noise but think it may be “thats how it is” as they do not have another svr fpace to check it against
i would pull my hair out if i had any as i know damn well this is not as it should be

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 2020 doesnt seem to make any real speed related noise. The only time I have ever thought the noise level was higher than normal was a LOT faster, a real LOT faster, but that may have been the road surface. I do have a buick enclave that is quiet at 60 but when you get to 70 it like the noise just turns on. I blame the tires on that car. My SVR has the Pirelli all season scorpions that came on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2020 doesnt seem to make any real speed related noise. The only time I have ever thought the noise level was higher than normal was a LOT faster, a real LOT faster, but that may have been the road surface. I do have a buick enclave that is quiet at 60 but when you get to 70 it like the noise just turns on. I blame the tires on that car. My SVR has the Pirelli all season scorpions that came on it.
Mine defo has issues its a 22 yr road noise is also harsh on pireli summer 22” after my 19 plate range sport this is far worse. I expected more engine & road noise etc but not as much as it has (

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
To be honest my 2021 SVR is much quieter than my 2019 SVR and the 2019 was quite a bit quieter than the 2017 S I had. I can't complain about the 2021 is't much more refined than the earlier versions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest my 2021 SVR is much quieter than my 2019 SVR and the 2019 was quite a bit quieter than the 2017 S I had. I can't complain about the 2021 is't much more refined than the earlier versions.
Wow you must love these. Personally its the worst car i have owned. Engine is so unrefined compared to several Bmw M cars as well as other german manufactures no wonder jlr is ditching this engine in favour of bmw V8. This thing cost me 85k with every option ticked i wish i had chosen something , anything else but hey ho i guess as they cant find the issues to fix them as not only wind noise i find the car runs like a dog until warm & a few miles then its ok altho hates being driven at town speeds ie anything under 40. But i find if i stop for a couple hrs and then restart car it revs high as if on first cold start & again will run rough until warm etc. dealer says its the engine character and cant find fault yawn same old story. I just think they know shit all about anything unless the car shows a fault code. But like all jlr products they rarely show a code but still have lots of faults. The car is not suited to uk roads unless long smooth and uninterupted But here in essex no chance of that

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
You are right, I'm happy with the car. At least the versions I've had and I can't get past BMW styling on their SUVs. We were happy with our two BMW 4 series convertibles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right, I'm happy with the car. At least the versions I've had and I can't get past BMW styling on their SUVs. We were happy with our two BMW 4 series convertibles.
I agree which is why i swapped out of bmw since 2017 for range rover as i did not like the bmw styling route. Which is shame as everything else was great. This is first jaguar since the old classics xj from 70s 80s & early 90s. All were superb to drive but this is very different much more
hardcore i guess. Tell me do any of yours have any of the issues when starting car or even agIn when starting a few hrs later. Do yours run rough for a while. I need to find an owner in my area so i can compare as even the dealership has none to compare with

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I have no issues with starting either of the SVRs and the engine sounds and runs fantastic from my experience. I find more issues with the BMW 440i than I so the SVR and that BMW engine has been rock solid for years. I find the same with the V8 in the F-Pace.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no issues with starting either of the SVRs and the engine sounds and runs fantastic from my experience. I find more issues with the BMW 440i than I so the SVR and that BMW engine has been rock solid for years. I find the same with the V8 in the F-Pace.
Thank you for that , at least i can show this to the dealership from one svr owner to another
im quite sure if mine was not a “friday afternoon” car it would be great. Its unfortunate that its not the car it should be. Thank you for the replies

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The high revs at cold start is standard operation. My 2017 SC V6 revs to 1600 rpms for 20 seconds or so and then settles down under 1k. I wait for this to settle before putting into gear. This is usually a behavior to heat up cats for emissions reasons. However, it runs great without needing to warm up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My F pace is pretty quiet at highway speed, 65-85 mph, but is very dependent on road surface.

My F Type is pretty loud at highway speed, 65-___ mph, but I couldn’t care less. I’m grinning like a lunatic the whole time.

Your SVR is the SUV version of my F Type R. It should not be refined like a BMW. It will, however, be a classic and admired far after the BMW is in the scrap heap. Take a look at the price of a 15 YO 650 or 6M. Absolute junk.

Dealerships usually aren’t going to go drive your car at speed. You’ll have to do a little detective work yourself. To find the wind noise, have someone else drive at the offending speed while you move yours ears around the car. Could be a sunroof miss aligned, which Jag is infamous for. Listen at all the roof pillars, listen at all the doors. Listen at the tail gate.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OP, aren't you the one who had sunroof adjustment work done? I wonder if they didn't replace an adjacent (one of the gloss black) panels properly, or if the glass angle isn't quite flush or something. Have you pinpointed where the noise is coming from? (Front windshield, behind you, side mirrors, etc.?)

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2020 SVR driver window rattles a bit when going over uneven roads. I have sent it back for adjustment of the seals before but the rattle came back shortly after. I just have to slightly wind down the window a teeeny bit and the rattle goes away. There is a sweet spot that doesn't have rattle and wind noise from the slight opening.

Perhaps you can ask them to align the window pane in your next servicing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The high revs at cold start is standard operation. My 2017 SC V6 revs to 1600 rpms for 20 seconds or so and then settles down under 1k. I wait for this to settle before putting into gear. This is usually a behavior to heat up cats for emissions reasons. However, it runs great without needing to warm up.
Many thanks for the reply. I have shown all to my service dpt. As they cant replicate the starting issues or find where wind noise is coming from they feel wind noise is normal. I do disagree but will one day find someone who has answer. With the engine your 2017 & my 22 are very different in many ways i am told. Even the emisions are much different now. But today the car is driving lovely so fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My F pace is pretty quiet at highway speed, 65-85 mph, but is very dependent on road surface.

My F Type is pretty loud at highway speed, 65-___ mph, but I couldn’t care less. I’m grinning like a lunatic the whole time.

Your SVR is the SUV version of my F Type R. It should not be refined like a BMW. It will, however, be a classic and admired far after the BMW is in the scrap heap. Take a look at the price of a 15 YO 650 or 6M. Absolute junk.

Dealerships usually aren’t going to go drive your car at speed. You’ll have to do a little detective work yourself. To find the wind noise, have someone else drive at the offending speed while you move yours ears around the car. Could be a sunroof miss aligned, which Jag is infamous for. Listen at all the roof pillars, listen at all the doors. Listen at the tail gate.
They did change A pillar trims and tape up everywhere but said it sounded same. They had an 19 reg in which they said sounded noisier so maybe its a trait. I dont honestly think it is but yes i agree i will have to sort or find myself. The issue was there when i first picked up from new before they did sunroof work so its not changed since thanks tho

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2020 SVR driver window rattles a bit when going over uneven roads. I have sent it back for adjustment of the seals before but the rattle came back shortly after. I just have to slightly wind down the window a teeeny bit and the rattle goes away. There is a sweet spot that doesn't have rattle and wind noise from the slight opening.

Perhaps you can ask them to align the window pane in your next servicing.
I did look at that but mine do seem ok so think its something else. But thank you

·
Registered
174 Posts
If all else fails, try to locate where the sound is coming from and go to an aftermarket car audio install shop that does sound deadening and ask them to deaden your interior with MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and you'll be able to hear a pin drop in your interior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it was that easy to find the source of wind noise both myself & the dealership would have found it by now. Unfortunatly its extreamly difficult to locate as you have to be driving a min of 65-70 mph. We will solve it one day im sure

1 - 18 of 18 Posts