Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pick up my SVR last week.
Eiger Grey with Pimento Red interior optioned out at $92,000+.
Didn't even do a 360 walkaround when I noticed a 12" crease in the upper front fender just in front of the hood.
Standing in front of the vehicle was a clean straight indentation running from the center of the car right to the driver side headlight.
Without even looking at other possible defects, I said something to my salesman. I got the classic Jaguar reply, "I don't see it."
I took the test drive, but had a horrible feeling in my stomach. I went through countless issues with my first edition, and gave them the benefit of the doubt.
I was not willing to have them fix it at the local dealership group and who knows how many months it would have taken to get an entire new front end.
I had to trust my gut and walk away. A week later the salesperson did acknowledge the defect and said he was disappointed with the situation.
Long story short, look over the entire vehicle with a fine tooth comb or you will be another disappointed JLR customer. How this was overlooked at the factory or during the PDI is incomprehensible!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I doubt it left the factory like that. Probably occurred during shipping or at the dealership.
Trust me. They noticed it during PDI, but were hoping you wouldn't.
But if you did, they'd give you the old "Don't worry. It'll buff out. We'll take care of it later. Just go enjoy the car now and bring it in at your convenience".
I like how the salesman did the old Sgt. Schultz: I see nothing, as he watched his commission disappearing.
Amazing how he changed his tune after rejection. Really looking out for you. AKA another chance for a commission.
This is why I hate buying cars!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
That is a shame, I'm sorry this happened to you. MY SVR so far has only had a few issues and no fit and finish ones that I've noticed yet. I love driving it every day, it is so much fun. It's a shame you are heading in a different direction. However, I am interested in seeing where that takes you. Keep us informed on what your new ride will be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely have not ruled out Jaguar in the future.
Maybe things will change after Brexit or another manufacturer steps in to change the culture.
I definitely appreciate my First Edition now more (only 33,000 miles), was really looking forward to the supercharged V8. Will probably just get an aftermarket crank pulley + ECU tune once the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Nothing wrong with the First Edition! Enjoy!

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,416 Posts
Went to pick up my SVR last week.
Eiger Grey with Pimento Red interior optioned out at $92,000+.
Didn't even do a 360 walkaround when I noticed a 12" crease in the upper front fender just in front of the hood.
Standing in front of the vehicle was a clean straight indentation running from the center of the car right to the driver side headlight.
Without even looking at other possible defects, I said something to my salesman. I got the classic Jaguar reply, "I don't see it."
I took the test drive, but had a horrible feeling in my stomach. I went through countless issues with my first edition, and gave them the benefit of the doubt.
I was not willing to have them fix it at the local dealership group and who knows how many months it would have taken to get an entire new front end.
I had to trust my gut and walk away. A week later the salesperson did acknowledge the defect and said he was disappointed with the situation.
Long story short, look over the entire vehicle with a fine tooth comb or you will be another disappointed JLR customer. How this was overlooked at the factory or during the PDI is incomprehensible!
Was this a car you ordered? Or was it on the lot?

DP

·
Registered
522 Posts
It takes a lot of internal fortitude for you to walk away, but you did the right thing. The turnaround from sheer excitement/joy to utter disgust/disappointment is hard to stomach.

Over the years, I have walked away from two situations where I was picking up a new car. The most recent was a 2017 F Pace S, built to spec. The wood trim on the front passenger door had ugly imperfections that could not/would not be fixed by the dealer. I ended up getting the exact same car from a dealer in the Boston area about 6 weeks later.

The first time was picking up a 1999 Lexus GS400 and there being an annoying clicking going on with the accelerator pedal. The dealer acknowledged the problem, brought it in the shop, said it was fixed...it was not. I said no deal. Got the same car in the Cleveland area a few weeks later.

In both these cases I had no problem flying 300-400 miles and driving back in my new cars. Also, in both situations, I was able to get a slightly better deal.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,416 Posts
Ordered on April 20th
I’m surprised the dealer let you walk away. Most dealers don’t want to deal with a customer order car. Did you loose your deposit.

DP

·
Registered
313 Posts
Too bad on the SVR. I’ve also had no real issues with mine so far, though I did notice some of the more aggressive lines seem to start and stop in odd places.
Any pictures of the crease? If it’s an impact issue I would just press them for a we owe to fix it and all good. If you have to wait a month to get it fixed keep driving the S until then or have them put you in a suitable loaner. If they’re not willing to do this other dealers are.
Heads up which dealership this is? Maybe they’ll post it for sale with the crease still there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my 2020 SVR 2 weeks ago. I traded my 2017 F-Pace R-Sport. No quality issues so far other than a Check engine light at 750 miles (O2 Sensor) that I will take in next week to be fixed. It is an amazing performance car and I can take the whole family, but only if I leave in in comfort mode! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deposit was fully refunded, no hassle at all.
Since they knew the car was damaged, they weren't going to fight me.
Had they offered something off full sticker, I might have considered.
I did get a call from Jaguar North America, as a follow up to my recent experience.
I went over the entire situation and they asked if they could share the conversation.
I said most certainly. Just want to prevent this from happening to the next person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh...man.... How can a SVR really need to improve more on it's quality.
Think about this: You paid 90K+
Same money you can buy : Porsche Cayenne coupe base model fully loaded (0-60 5.7). or a Macan Turbo fully loaded (0-60 4.1)
Same money you can buy: Fully loaded 2020 BMW X6 M50I (0-60 4.1) (Which is build in USA. It would be easier and faster to fix the car in next 5 years.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only thing could stand out SVR right now: the sound and Exterior look..
I really hope 2021 F-pace can upgrade it's interior technology. Bluetooth charge + massage + night vision + front fog light

1 - 14 of 14 Posts