Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I finally got the deal that I was looking for on a remaining 2017 Fpace S. Unfortunately, the model that was in stock did not come with the 22" Helix wheels that I really had my heart set on...

So I have been searching the internets high and low, and cannot find any take offs or used wheels. So I may need to dig into the savings and purchase a set from my local dealer. Wow they are crazy expensive!

So for the F-Pace Pro's here, I would like to see if I could get help with 3 things:

1. What I need: I am still working on a total price for (4) wheels (4) tires mounted, with TPMS and installation on the car. I would also suppose there may be a calibration for the speedometer/transmission that needs to be set by the tech? Is this list complete?

2. Suspension: So I notice that my car sits high on my 20" wheels. The F-Pace's that I have seen on 22" wheels almost look like they are slightly lowered. Is there any difference in the stock suspension/springs/ride height from the factory with 20" vs 22"?

3. Alignment: Should I need an alignment after this wheel swap to keep the tire geometry correct?

4. Source: I have searched the typical internet locations for OEM take-off wheels, but is there somewhere else that I should be looking? I just figured that in this country with these cars being on the road for over 1.5 years that there would be at least one wheel set or single wheel to purchase. Not alas, I can fine none.

I would really appreciate any help or thoughts!

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
Welcome, did you look at Tire Rack? The 20's and 22's have the same outside wheel diameter within 1/2 inch so it is just an illusion that the car sits lower. The 22's are a bit wider so an alignment would be in your best interest. Look in this section and you will see members who have purchased after market wheels that might be to your liking. BTW the 1st F Paces were delivered the end of May last year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
2. Suspension: So I notice that my car sits high on my 20" wheels. The F-Pace's that I have seen on 22" wheels almost look like they are slightly lowered. Is there any difference in the stock suspension/springs/ride height from the factory with 20" vs 22"?
Maybe just an optical illusion, but I thought the exact same thing.

I'm also considering moving to 22s. Of course, there are opposing views on whether the 22s provide a harsh ride.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In the case of ride harshness it isn't a matter of viewpoint, 22" wheels ride harsher with the same rubber while suspended the same way because physics will allow for no other result. There are of course a lot of different viewpoints on whether the increased ride harshness, loss of performance in every measurable objective metric, increased instances of wheel damage, lower wheel control, and other downsides of increasing wheel size are a nerf worth taking for those who prefer the esthetic.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
In the case of ride harshness it isn't a matter of viewpoint, 22" wheels ride harsher with the same rubber while suspended the same way because physics will allow for no other result. There are of course a lot of different viewpoints on whether the increased ride harshness, loss of performance in every measurable objective metric, increased instances of wheel damage, lower wheel control, and other downsides of increasing wheel size are a nerf worth taking for those who prefer the esthetic.
carbman, you really hate 22 inch wheels. What did those 22s ever do to you? :)

I get the slight performance hit in zero to 60 and maybe even a slight MPG hit, but for the most part 22s are going to out perform 20s in handling with the same tire on both wheels. I'm a fan of my 22s and with the proper light load air pressure, they ride perfectly fine over pretty much all roads.

I'm not against going with 20s though if you really want a plusher ride, because 20s are going to give you better ride characteristics but with the pickup of some bounciness due to the taller side wall rubber. Also with the weight of the F-Pace, if you get aggressive in the corners, you will get tire squeal due to those taller sidewalls as well.]

I think this was already stated, but the suspension is the same on all F-Paces with like options whether you are shod with 20s or 22s. The diameter of both 20s and 22s are very close due to the tire sizes used, so I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything for your speedometer.

Reactions: baherrick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not correct, every single measurable performance metric gets worse as you go larger in diameter. This is a well known, well documented, fact that cant be argued away because physics works. C/D tested this exact car in both configurations showing those results while surprising absolutely no one because the math cant be circumvented. This despite having the weaker all-season rubber. Had the 20s been shod with similar rubber rather than the weaker all-seasons the 22s would have simply been beaten by a larger margin because there can be no other result. Similarly if you stepped down to 19s of similar construction and ran them with the same rubber they would outperform the 20s. This is why all the track rats over on the M3 forums, corvette forums, etc downsize from factory and you see the threads titled "Which 18" wheels will clear "X" brakes?" They do it because unsprung weight is a killer. Just to frame it in another way, stepping up from 20 to 22s is going to add about 10 lbs of unsprung per wheel with a wheel of the same type and brand. That is equivelent to duct taping a 10lb barbell to each wheel because the extra diameter serves no purpose, it's nothing more than extra weight that must be started in motion, kept in motion, stopped, turned, and suspended. And you t hink this is going to be a good thing how?

I get that some like larger wheels for the look. I'm fine with that it's their money and their choice but a lot of people on this type of forum are not aware what they are losing by choosing them in some cases this is because of information such as what you posted which is not correct. OEMs put them on cars because people like the look and wheel options are a huge profit item with high uptake. I'm not completely immune to it myself, I think those E92s with 18s look a little odd and it's not a choice I would make. I would be making that choice understanding it though, not in ignorance. It's all good if you go in eyes open.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Not correct, every single measurable performance metric gets worse as you go larger in diameter. This is a well known, well documented, fact that cant be argued away because physics works. C/D tested this exact car in both configurations showing those results while surprising absolutely no one because the math cant be circumvented. This despite having the weaker all-season rubber. Had the 20s been shod with similar rubber rather than the weaker all-seasons the 22s would have simply been beaten by a larger margin because there can be no other result. Similarly if you stepped down to 19s of similar construction and ran them with the same rubber they would outperform the 20s. This is why all the track rats over on the M3 forums, corvette forums, etc downsize from factory and you see the threads titled "Which 18" wheels will clear "X" brakes?" They do it because unsprung weight is a killer. Just to frame it in another way, stepping up from 20 to 22s is going to add about 10 lbs of unsprung per wheel with a wheel of the same type and brand. That is equivelent to duct taping a 10lb barbell to each wheel because the extra diameter serves no purpose, it's nothing more than extra weight that must be started in motion, kept in motion, stopped, turned, and suspended. And you t hink this is going to be a good thing how?

I get that some like larger wheels for the look. I'm fine with that it's their money and their choice but a lot of people on this type of forum are not aware what they are losing by choosing them in some cases this is because of information such as what you posted which is not correct. OEMs put them on cars because people like the look and wheel options are a huge profit item with high uptake. I'm not completely immune to it myself, I think those E92s with 18s look a little odd and it's not a choice I would make. I would be making that choice understanding it though, not in ignorance. It's all good if you go in eyes open.
While this is accurate for the issue at hand, remember it isn't a universal rule that applies proportionally. EX: If you put 14" wheels on the F Pace, it will likely (read: surely) handle worse than 18" or 20", for many reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
It looks like it sits higher on 20" wheels because it's an optical illusion. You notice the gap between the wheel and fender easily, but your mind doesn't see the tire that is taller on 20" wheels.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
It looks like it sits higher on 20" wheels because it's an optical illusion. You notice the gap between the wheel and fender easily, but your mind doesn't see the tire that is taller on 20" wheels.
I figured that is why they use the Lower Profile Summer Tires on the 22's , so that the OVERALL *Diameter* of wheel and tire , would be the same as the 20's with the Taller Side Wall All Seasons , to fit under the wheel well the same !!! Is this correct ???

·
Registered
589 Posts
I figured that is why they use the Lower Profile Summer Tires on the 22's , so that the OVERALL *Diameter* of wheel and tire , would be the same as the 20's with the Taller Side Wall All Seasons , to fit under the wheel well the same !!! Is this correct ???
Same outside diameter gives the same gearing and speedometer readings.

·
Registered
589 Posts
... I get the slight performance hit in zero to 60 and maybe even a slight MPG hit, but for the most part 22s are going to out perform 20s in handling with the same tire on both wheels. I'm a fan of my 22s and with the proper light load air pressure, they ride perfectly fine over pretty much all roads.

I'm not against going with 20s though if you really want a plusher ride, because 20s are going to give you better ride characteristics but with the pickup of some bounciness due to the taller side wall rubber. Also with the weight of the F-Pace, if you get aggressive in the corners, you will get tire squeal due to those taller sidewalls as well.
I appreciate crabman's willingness to fight the good fight here. He is quoting test results that indicate that the 22" wheels do not perform better under *any* circumstances, and though folks who have the 22s are happy with their choice the unsubstantiated narrative that they perform better might lead new buyers who review this forum for advice to get 22s when 19s or 20s (or 18s) would be a more performant and comfortable choice. "Bounciness"? Naw...
I think if the 20s actually squeal earlier then they would be reaching the limits of their traction earlier, and the test results indicate that this is not the case.
Love my 19s, including the looks (and the replacement cost)! :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

OK, I'm not one to argue with an expert or experts, but from my personal experience I've driven several different cars with winter and summer setups with many different wheel and tires setups on the same cars. I don't necessarily feel a big difference in wheel diameters to be honest with the same profile tires on them. To me the difference comes with handling in the tire profile and width that is used. I find lower profile tires provide for much better steering response and turn in characteristics, and better control through turns. Higher profile tires tend to wallow a bit, bounce a bit, and slow turn in and handling to me. The only time the larger profile becomes an advantage in the turns is if the turn is very potholed or imbalanced in some way, outside of that the lower profile tires always win in my experience (which arguably isn't one of an expert but I have been a several tracks). That is why i will continue to run a lower profile tire on the vehicles I'm looking for handling from. I find the sweet spot on profile to be 35 to 45. I've run tires from 225 to 295 in these profiles and find they handle much better than those in the 50 or 60 or higher profile range. That is simply my non-expert opinion based on many miles of driving on various setups on cars and SUVs.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I appreciate crabman's willingness to fight the good fight here. He is quoting test results that indicate that the 22" wheels do not perform better under *any* circumstances, and though folks who have the 22s are happy with their choice the unsubstantiated narrative that they perform better might lead new buyers who review this forum for advice to get 22s when 19s or 20s (or 18s) would be a more performant and comfortable choice. "Bounciness"? Naw...
I think if the 20s actually squeal earlier then they would be reaching the limits of their traction earlier, and the test results indicate that this is not the case.
Love my 19s, including the looks (and the replacement cost)! :)
Guys, we all have our preferences on wheel size, tires, profiles and such. And I'm not saying anyone is wrong, everyone needs to do their own thing and drive their own way to make them happy. As I posted above, my experience and I drive pretty aggressively in the corners, is that lower profile tires do handle better.

By bounciness, I am talking lower profile compared to higher profile tires. You probably would not notice it unless you went from one to the other. I have had many winter/summer setups on sedans and my audi Q7 when I owned it, that were quite different in profiles 45s and 55s for the winter setups and 35s to 45s on the summer setups. When driving the same cars in the same way with the different setups the higher profile tire will bounce more in the corners than the lower profile at the same tire pressures.

Again, that is with my experience. Which may be different than yours, but it's why I do what I do with my car setups. I'll continue to look to run 35 to 45 series profiles on my cars with the sweet spot being 40s moving forward in the summer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts