Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from Cars & Coffee, I noticed an odd noise as I was coming to a stop to wait for the left turn light. Sounded a lot like I had just driven through a bit of small gravel or other small debris in the road. Continued on and the drive was just a little bit off, decided to pull over to discover a fragment on top of the engine and could see the belt was off the pulleys and mangling itself. Removed what I could and positioned it out of the way. Luckily, was only a few miles from the dealer so I dropped it off there and now have a 2.0D loaner. It's nice, but no S.

Anyhow, the power deficit was definitely noticeable without the supercharger, and was surprised that there were no warning lights or anything else to indicate anything was amiss. Also disappointed in a failure like this. Could be a faulty part, but the belt looks quite tough and JLR have been using this drivetrain for years and it's supposed to be relatively solid. Hopefully just a fluke and they'll be able to fix is soon.

Will report back when it's repaired. :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Driving home from Cars & Coffee, I noticed an odd noise as I was coming to a stop to wait for the left turn light. Sounded a lot like I had just driven through a bit of small gravel or other small debris in the road. Continued on and the drive was just a little bit off, decided to pull over to discover a fragment on top of the engine and could see the belt was off the pulleys and mangling itself. Removed what I could and positioned it out of the way. Luckily, was only a few miles from the dealer so I dropped it off there and now have a 2.0D loaner. It's nice, but no S.

Anyhow, the power deficit was definitely noticeable without the supercharger, and was surprised that there were no warning lights or anything else to indicate anything was amiss. Also disappointed in a failure like this. Could be a faulty part, but the belt looks quite tough and JLR have been using this drivetrain for years and it's supposed to be relatively solid. Hopefully just a fluke and they'll be able to fix is soon.

Will report back when it's repaired. :crying:
Wow... that is shocking especially, because like you mentioned, this particular engine has been in rotation for quite some time and has been one of the more reliable parts of the Jaguar vehicle. Im also shocked no "check-engine" light or anything similar illuminated. Im also guessing if someone wasn't as aware as you were to realize something was wrong it could have caused a lot more damage than you experienced.

Really hope they figure out what happened and really hope it was just a one off fluke. Make sure you update us when you know more!

Also, did you happen to take off the engine cover? I know where thats off you can actually see some of the belts going, I'm curious where the supercharger belt is nestled.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Although annoying at beast...since this is a machine with moving parts, Feces occurs..I don't believe it is going to be a regular issue..as just one of the pulleys or belt tensioners failed or was faulty from the beginning, and could have caused this to happen.

Reactions: Dakar09

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Deleted severely off topic posts
Lol, the pronunciation of the Jag-you-are brand is definitely (kinda) not off topic ;)

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh my. I hope you have this resolved quickly.
Please do post what the tech claims happened.

Good Luck!
Loop

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
See, I told you to get a Turbo >:)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
A little *off topic* , but has anybody noticed how *GORGEOUS* that *Engine Cover* looks ??? ;)
It looks like an *Armored Vest* protecting the *Heartbeat* of the F-PACE !!! >:)
Just another friendly observation !!! :D

P.S. I hope this *Belt* issue is going to be an easy fix , and is not going to become a MASS problem involving more vehicles !

·
Registered
245 Posts
All kinds of things can go wrong building a car even with very high quality standards and sometimes you're the one that gets unlucky, it would seem to be the case here. A search reveals few similar complaints and while Jags numbers are low there are more than enough of these engines in service to see a trend if it existed. I would suggest chocking it up to a bit of bad luck, perhaps a liberal application of wine would help repair emotional damage? :)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
perhaps a liberal application of wine would help repair emotional damage? :)
WHAT THE ???
Does the wine soak into the belt , and make it stronger ???

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yikes...will be interesting to hear what the service department comes back and states occurred. Probably a pulley tensioner, but still...

·
Registered
245 Posts
WHAT THE ???
Does the wine soak into the belt , and make it stronger ???
I would suggest reading posts before you respond, otherwise you're never going to be able to win the internet. Or perhaps you simply didn't comprehend? Maybe it was a philosophical question? If that's the case I'm going to go with yes, assuming the belt was capable of feeling emotional distress wine would in fact help it to let go.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I would suggest reading posts before you respond, otherwise you're never going to be able to win the internet. Or perhaps you simply didn't comprehend? Maybe it was a philosophical question? If that's the case I'm going to go with yes, assuming the belt was capable of feeling emotional distress wine would in fact help it to let go.
Lol, GR has already lost the internet... ;)>:)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE and back on topic.

Repaired under warranty. Tech suspects idler pull got loose or broke and led to belt shredding and coming off. They replaced the belt, idler pulley, and brake booster vacuum line. They also did service action K452, torque track rod ends.

Sounds like it was a one-off random issue. Keeping my fingers crossed it's the last as it's still frustrating dealing with these sorts of things. Guess I was pretty lucky as I'm taking a road trip in a couple of weeks and don't want to deal with this on vacation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
UPDATE and back on topic.

Repaired under warranty. Tech suspects idler pull got loose or broke and led to belt shredding and coming off. They replaced the belt, idler pulley, and brake booster vacuum line. They also did service action K452, torque track rod ends.

Sounds like it was a one-off random issue. Keeping my fingers crossed it's the last as it's still frustrating dealing with these sorts of things. Guess I was pretty lucky as I'm taking a road trip in a couple of weeks and don't want to deal with this on vacation.
Thanks for reporting back, and glad they were able to take care of you without too much undue hassle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice thing about throwing a belt on this set up is the car is still perfectly drivable. Its not a serpentine belt that drives all the other accessories.

I threw a belt on my SC Porsche 928 that i built...same thing ..just down on power and drove it home.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Repaired under warranty. Tech suspects idler pull got loose or broke and led to belt shredding and coming off. They replaced the belt, idler pulley, and brake booster vacuum line.
Sounds like a good diagnosis.
Good luck and hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Just when I thought this Thread was *In The Past* , my Service Advisor said that while they had our car in the shop this week , they noticed an excessive noise coming from the engine while it was cold & just idling ! When they checked it out , they *Found the Supercharger Tensioner Pulley* was the source of the noise ! They actually replaced it , and said the noise is gone ! They possibly saved me from having a Broken Belt in the near future !!!

I had not noticed any noise , and therefore , did not even request them to look into this !

So far , I am VERY PLEASED with the Service Department at Jaguar Annapolis , in Maryland !!!:)

Reactions: MTHM and BRGPace
1 - 20 of 22 Posts