Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar F Pace 25T
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I own a 2018 F-Pace and absolutely love this car. One frustrating problem is that I can't seem to protect the plastic trim from sun damage. None of my other cars have this issue but I will admit that I am a detailing amateur. The Jaguar sits outside in the hot Florida sun. As a result, the window pillar posts appear to be sun damaged. They are no longer glossy and have what appears to be fading, stains or water marks of some kind. Any ideas on how to fix and is this a common problem?

·
Registered
2016 3.0TTD
169 Posts
Never seen this before on a three year old vehicle. Have you taken it to the JLR dealer? It should be covered by the warranty.

Stu

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar F Pace 25T
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I will make an appointment to check. If others have had this issue and found a fix involving a good polish or trim restorer, let us know here

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I will make an appointment to check. If others have had this issue and found a fix involving a good polish or trim restorer, let us know here
Easy fix for any DIY detailer like myself. Very very soft piano black plastic so scratches easily however, it also fixes just as easy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you sure this is purely sun damage? Or some combination of other factors? Hard to tell from the pics, but that almost looks like it could even be hard water stains (from a nearby lawn sprinkler system).

Reactions: Cat Lady

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar F Pace 25T
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure this is purely sun damage? Or some combination of other factors? Hard to tell from the pics, but that almost looks like it could even be hard water stains (from a nearby lawn sprinkler system).
No I am not sure and you may be right. Based on some videos on YouTube it looks like I can lightly polish these b pillars to fix them up

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar F Pace 25T
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone. Turns out that this is a common problem with all piano gloss black trim. The A, B and C pillars (front middle back) all had this issue. I did some research and (although I appreciate the suggestions and help) I learned that you should never use the eraser suggestion on glossy parts. Most online resources told me to get some compound, tape and a 3 inch orbital polisher kit. I followed some steps on YouTube which literally were: tape off the rubber bits, add some compound, set the polisher to a low speed and go to town on the pillars. Wipe off with a cloth when done. Took me 5 minutes and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Great job. Thank you for taking the time research the best way to clean it and also providing the details. It will certainly be searched and be helpful to others.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! I own a 2018 F-Pace and absolutely love this car. One frustrating problem is that I can't seem to protect the plastic trim from sun damage. None of my other cars have this issue but I will admit that I am a detailing amateur. The Jaguar sits outside in the hot Florida sun. As a result, the window pillar posts appear to be sun damaged. They are no longer glossy and have what appears to be fading, stains or water marks of some kind. Any ideas on how to fix and is this a common problem?
View attachment 73532
I am in Alabama and have the same issue with my F Pace, glad to see you were able to find something to get it back to looking new, I am going to try this too!

·
Registered
36 Posts
For what it's worth, I put carbon fiber wrap on those glossy pieces where hands, etc. tend to touch. Low cost and looks great. I've done it on 2 F Paces.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
519 Posts
Ceramic coating
I had ceramic coating professionally applied when the car was new four years ago. Everything else, including the optional black trim, is still like new. But the pillar posts all faded in the Florida sun. Oddly, the passenger side mirror cover also faded and blistered. The dealer repainted that under warranty last month, but said the pillars should just be spruced up by me, like OP did.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi everyone. Turns out that this is a common problem with all piano gloss black trim. The A, B and C pillars (front middle back) all had this issue. I did some research and (although I appreciate the suggestions and help) I learned that you should never use the eraser suggestion on glossy parts. Most online resources told me to get some compound, tape and a 3 inch orbital polisher kit. I followed some steps on YouTube which literally were: tape off the rubber bits, add some compound, set the polisher to a low speed and go to town on the pillars. Wipe off with a cloth when done. Took me 5 minutes and it looks brand new.
View attachment 73534 View attachment 73535 View attachment 73536 View attachment 73537
some of my most favorite products!!
I kept my mouth shut on this one because I have been attacked in the past for saying to keep magic eraser far away from your F-PACE. Glad you got it all fixed up and found Griot's along the way

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 73532
Same issue. A little paint polishing compound and buffer, 5 minutes done

Attachments

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Looks awesome, congrats on finding the solution to your challenge and sharing it with those of us who may run into it.

Reactions: Tinman0523
1 - 20 of 20 Posts