Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my FPace in April and have 22's Pirelli Summer Tires. I live in the Southeast ATL area and looking for suggestions on what y'all are doing during the winter months? The weather is not too bad here but it can get cold and drop down below 40F and even to the 10's or 20's at times. What I read is summer tires can be really bad under 40F degrees for obvious slipping problems but also read the rubber can even crack or break apart. Certainly don't want to get in an accident or destroy a good set of tires.

So my questions is if you are running summer tires, are you switching out to a winter tire setup or all season setup then switching back when it warms up? Or are you buying a second set of rims (obviously more expensive) to keep winter tires on and just changing out the summer tires and winter setup when it gets cold/warm? I hate sitting at tire shops and waiting so thinking about getting a second set of rims for winter. Also want to make sure my rims don't get damaged by a 19 yr punk that does not give his undivided attention with an air gun on my rims / bolts.

Also, if you got a second set of rims, what did you get? Looking for setup ideas, specifications and thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I got my FPace in April and have 22's Pirelli Summer Tires. I live in the Southeast ATL area and looking for suggestions on what y'all are doing during the winter months? The weather is not too bad here but it can get cold and drop down below 40F and even to the 10's or 20's at times. What I read is summer tires can be really bad under 40F degrees for obvious slipping problems but also read the rubber can even crack or break apart. Certainly don't want to get in an accident or destroy a good set of tires.

So my questions is if you are running summer tires, are you switching out to a winter tire setup or all season setup then switching back when it warms up? Or are you buying a second set of rims (obviously more expensive) to keep winter tires on and just changing out the summer tires and winter setup when it gets cold/warm? I hate sitting at tire shops and waiting so thinking about getting a second set of rims for winter. Also want to make sure my rims don't get damaged by a 19 yr punk that does not give his undivided attention with an air gun on my rims / bolts.

Also, if you got a second set of rims, what did you get? Looking for setup ideas, specifications and thoughts. Thanks
You don't need winter tires, especially in Georgia. I live in Pennsylvania. I switched from 22 inch summer Pirelli tires to all-season tires in late October until a week ago. The summers are back on. They are just better for warmer temps and high speed driving. You don't need winter tires. I recommend you switch to all-season tires (I had 22 inch Continental ExtremeContact All-Seasons) right after Thanksgiving Day. You don't need to switch in October like I did because you live in Georgia. Want further testimony that all-seasons will work just fine? I lived through 15 winters in MINNESOTA and never had winter tires. With global warming, winter tires are even more unnecessary in most of the country, certainly every place below the Mason Dixon line.

·
Registered
575 Posts
With all due respect, I have to disagree. Winter tires will ALWAYS make the vehicle perform better in the snow, slush, and freezing rain. Just because your cars worked well on all-seasons doesn't mean it was "optimized" to drive in inclement weather.

I choose to make sure my vehicle is at it's best for the seasons I live in, and have always had dedicated summer tires for more fun and dedicated winter tires for more safety (and fun). I'm going to ignore the "global warming" comment as one of the reasons you don't need snow tires...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Many threads on this forum about this topic with lots of personal comments. You should do some searching if you want the full story.

However, you do live in Atlanta and believe it or not with this topic at hand I might have to agree with Trek in your situation. Although I would disagree if you lived north of the Virginia line. While you could do the summer/winter tire and wheel setup, I would argue that you would be wasting money knowing where you live. I think if you want different wheels and a more aggressive summer setup or wheel setup, I would recommend finding a wheel in the size and offset you want and then going with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 as your tire of choice for those rims. That tire is an all season tire that leans towards summer handling, but is drivable in snow if you happen to get some. They make it in a variety of sizes to fit the wheels you want to go with. If you want to stay with your Jag 22s then just get the DWS06 in a 22 x 265 or 275 / 35 or 40 size and you'll be very happy running that tire year round.

Reactions: Gorgon

·
Registered
198 Posts
With all due respect, I have to disagree. Winter tires will ALWAYS make the vehicle perform better in the snow, slush, and freezing rain. Just because your cars worked well on all-seasons doesn't mean it was "optimized" to drive in inclement weather.

I choose to make sure my vehicle is at it's best for the seasons I live in, and have always had dedicated summer tires for more fun and dedicated winter tires for more safety (and fun). I'm going to ignore the "global warming" comment as one of the reasons you don't need snow tires...
It still snows above AND below this line!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Some would totally panic and scream for snow tires just because there were a few flakes in Jacksonville, Florida. Come on, people. Fifteen years in Minnesota, some cars with only FWD, and I never needed snow tires. And it snowed there, brother. It snowed real snow! You just have to know how to drive on the stuff and not panic. Too many people panic, or at the very least get nervous. Then there are the idiots who think AWD or 4WD means you can go faster. That's kind of true, but it doesn't mean you can stop any better than the FWD or RWD crowd. Those the people who crash and go in the ditch.

Then there are people like me, who can rip through the snow with AWD and all-season tires without nary a wobble or slide, because I know how to drive on the stuff.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I know how to drive in it too, dude. It's not about that. It's about optimizing your equipment. Period. I grew up NY and live in MA, going to school in upstate NY between the Finger Lakes (ie: the snow belt). I survived an entire winter in that area with my Mustang GT on bologna skin tires. Poo did come out on several occasions.

And no, you don't need snow tires in Georgia, NC, or anywhere in the South. The half inch you get per year, if at all, then use your all seasons. And as you said, don't panic. But summer tires will definitely increase your enjoyment of this vehicle's dynamics.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
to be clear, when I said "North of the Virginia line" I should have said "North of Virginia's southern line" or " north of North Carolina.... I think south of there, while you might see snow or even freezing rain, it typically doesn't stay around long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For where you are, a good set of all-season tires will be more than fine.

Even the summers are probably OK, though just be cautious when the temperature drops below 40F.

If I recall correctly, if you get more than an inch or two of snow in the 404, the region pretty much shuts down.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
If you're going to get a second set of tires to swap for different seasons, why not get the BEST PEFORMING tires you can for each season? I mean, safety and everything aside, doesn't it just make sense that you want to have your performance SUV perform well all the time?

Summers for when it's warm, winters for when it's cold.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Really depends on your situation. How much snow or ice do you get in the winter months? If you average very little, than dedicated winter tires may not be needed. Also what does your budget allow? If it allows for an extra set of tires and rims, then having a set for summer and winter may be beneficial.

All Seasons are pretty good in mild winter conditions - choose the best one based on what you see most of the time. Tire Rack has a great deal of information to allow you to choose a tire based on many factors. It is how I choose tires when I need them. I just replaced the stock Contis on mine with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires - love them! Much better treadwear rating and still handle superbly for how I drive - and I live in the Tampa/St. Pete Florida area.

Tire Rack Ratings and Rankings page:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

I would look under Crossover /SUV Touring All Season tires and Ultra High Performance All Season or higher for summer tires. Please be aware that some tire sizes are not available for certain brands and categories so double check that before thinking you found the right tires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You don't need winter tires, especially in Georgia. I live in Pennsylvania. I switched from 22 inch summer Pirelli tires to all-season tires in late October until a week ago. The summers are back on. They are just better for warmer temps and high speed driving. You don't need winter tires. I recommend you switch to all-season tires (I had 22 inch Continental ExtremeContact All-Seasons) right after Thanksgiving Day. You don't need to switch in October like I did because you live in Georgia. Want further testimony that all-seasons will work just fine? I lived through 15 winters in MINNESOTA and never had winter tires. With global warming, winter tires are even more unnecessary in most of the country, certainly every place below the Mason Dixon line.
Like Trek, I grew up in the northeast (many years ago) when cars only had rear wheel drive. I agree one can survive without winter tires (or snow tires as they were once called), but why chance it? Since the cost is PROBABLY not an issue for most of us F Pace owners, why not have a set of winters for the snowy times and a set of summers when the weather changes? My car certainly performed better in NW Pa this past winter with the grippier winter tires. I am now enjoying my P Zero 22's! :D

Reactions: flyboy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input. I did find this on Tire Rack website: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

In addition to losing traction, "If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks."

I know Atlanta is not polar capital of the world but we do hit and go below freezing, so I will be switching to probably an All Season tire during the winter months. I would guess that the tire will also ride hard on cold days as well. Maybe a tire rack strategy to get people to buy more tires but to me it's not worth the risk especially when I put 80+ miles a day on the highway.

Questions now is do I get a second set of rims? Any recommendations on aftermarket rims for the winter? Not looking to spend a fortune and even willing to drop down from my 22's (20-22's). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the input. I did find this on Tire Rack website: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

In addition to losing traction, "If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks."

I know Atlanta is not polar capital of the world but we do hit and go below freezing, so I will be switching to probably an All Season tire during the winter months. I would guess that the tire will also ride hard on cold days as well. Maybe a tire rack strategy to get people to buy more tires but to me it's not worth the risk especially when I put 80+ miles a day on the highway.

Questions now is do I get a second set of rims? Any recommendations on aftermarket rims for the winter? Not looking to spend a fortune and even willing to drop down from my 22's (20-22's). Any suggestions?
I got the standard 20" wheel package on my F Pace S. This past winter, I shod those wheels with Blizzack winter tires....great traction and inexpensive. This spring, I invested in a set of 22" Lexani wheels and P Zero summer tires. Here in the snow belt, I don't miss the 22's in the winter since the wheels are mostly buried in snow and ice!

I did spend 4 years in ATL in the 80's and remember only rare days when the roads were icy, never snow!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I personally didn't want to do the tire dance twice a year and had my S delivered with the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 tires on my 22" rims.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06

I don't have the storage for another set of rim/tires and didn't want to be bothered. I'll drive these all year round and not worry about it. Philadelphia doesn't get a ton of snow, certainly less than where I grew up in the snow belt of northern NY and all seasons will be fine.

Reactions: chazloose

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might consider all-weather tires, i.e. snowflake/mountain symbol. While certainly not high performance tires, they are a 12 month tire. I am running Nokian WR G3 SUV's on my Grand Cherokee. Size choices are not great though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know why only certain type of winter tires are listed as "approved" in the manual. I am wondering why for example Blizzaks are not on the list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts