Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on blacking out rims? Like is it cheaper to buy aftermarket rims and just bring them to your jaguar dealership? If so, what kind do you guys recommend? My local dealership said they just send the rims out to be blacked out with paint, while the l.a. Dealership said they would switch out the rims for black ones for 400 a wheel, labor included.

Also I heard you can snap on black hubcaps on?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Powder coating rims isn't super expensive. You can probably find a shop that might charge around $400 to $600 to do that. That is the most permanent way to make the change. Hub caps snapping on doesn't seem possible or something you would want with the wheels that come on the F-Pace.

Another option that could be cheaper and not permanent so you can try it and see if you like it would be the have the wheels spayed with plasti-dip or plasticoated. This is a spray, like paint that will change the color but can be peeled off later if you don't like it or want a change. Powder coating is permanent, Plastic-dip can be easily changed, but won't last as long. You may need to redo it in a year or so.

Reactions: ron1764

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Powder coating rims isn't super expensive. You can probably find a shop that might charge around $400 to $600 to do that. That is the most permanent way to make the change. Hub caps snapping on doesn't seem possible or something you would want with the wheels that come on the F-Pace.

Another option that could be cheaper and not permanent so you can try it and see if you like it would be the have the wheels spayed with plasti-dip or plasticoated. This is a spray, like paint that will change the color but can be peeled off later if you don't like it or want a change. Powder coating is permanent, Plastic-dip can be easily changed, but won't last as long. You may need to redo it in a year or so.
LOVING the new PP PA-Fpace! To the ops topic though yes I would say powder coating is the cheaper alternative to just buying new wheels all together. I had my dealership send them off to go from black to silver and they look great, just like OEM wheels. If you are sure you want black than I wouldn't bother with plastic-dip but fi you are a little uncertain I would test it out first.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Powdercoat is an affordable option, just keep in mind to only use soap and water when cleaning them or they might stain. IMHO plastidip doesn't belong on a Jaguar. You can also have them painted at a body shop.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Plastdip has it's uses (looks good in certain trim pieces if applied properly), but not on rims. The finish is too flat (even with the "glossifier") and it won't hold up to the abuse rims go through. I would find a power-coating place, but then again, you could be looking at the same price as Jag would charge to put the black wheels on for you.

bottom line: How bad to you want them? And would a "true" black rim installed at a Jag dealer put your mind at ease more than having your stock wheels powder-coated? With the latter option, you will be without the car for several hours at least, if not days depending on how fast the powder-coating place works.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A good detail shop can vinyl wrap your wheels. This is quite durable but can be removed or changed if desired.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Plastdip has it's uses (looks good in certain trim pieces if applied properly), but not on rims. The finish is too flat (even with the "glossifier") and it won't hold up to the abuse rims go through. I would find a power-coating place, but then again, you could be looking at the same price as Jag would charge to put the black wheels on for you.

bottom line: How bad to you want them? And would a "true" black rim installed at a Jag dealer put your mind at ease more than having your stock wheels powder-coated? With the latter option, you will be without the car for several hours at least, if not days depending on how fast the powder-coating place works.
True, the powder coating does need time to sit. And if it is humid it will take longer, I had that issue when I had mine done. But it will be much cheaper than buying a set of OEM black wheels.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I went with powder coating and couldn't be happier. I've attached a picture of the rims after the mod.
Really makes those wheels much better looking. I think there one of the worst styled wheels in the OEM color but blacked out they look awesome!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Really makes those wheels much better looking. I think there one of the worst styled wheels in the OEM color but blacked out they look awesome!
Hey @JagPA !
I'm kinda thinking maybe possibly depending on how you read it there's a chance ,
that Jman's post is actually sorta somewhat could be a *Compliment* ??? >:) :eek: >:)

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
575 Posts
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

I think that finish may look better than they do from the factory

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks great!

I had the dealership paint my stock 19" 7 split spoke rims as part of the black package I ordered (didn't want to pay the crazy price for the bigger rims). They came out great. Some of the OEM wheels in the factory colors (or lack of color) don't look very good, my personal opinion. But the black rims look great on most of the FPs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dealership said they would switch out the rims for black ones for 400 a wheel, labor included.
Which wheels do you have? If it's the 19" 5 spoke ones that come on the premium then $400 a wheel is highway robbery. You could go out and buy aftermarket wheels for that much (assuming you stick with the same wheel size) and be able to choose which ones you want.

If you like your current wheel then just get them powder coated black. I got the 5 spoke 19s on mine. Could have gotten them powder coated but I don't like the way they look black and wanted 20s anyways. Spent $415 per wheel on 20s.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had several things done and it was a bundled price, but I believe that part was $400. A 10th of the price of new rims ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts