Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! Noob here. Just ordered a Dark Sapphire Blue 2017 FP S with the black 20" blades, black pack, and tech pack. This will be a longggg 10-12 weeks needless to say. Coming from several RWD bimmers, I've always opted for summer rubber with a separate winter wheel/tire/sensor setup for the winter. With the AWD FP family hauler, however, I'm hoping to abandon these biannual swaps and rely on all seasons with the AWD. As such, I asked the dealer what rubber will come standard with the S come delivery. His answer was a bit dicey. Either way, he told me they were 'all season performance' tires. For those with the S, is this true? I'm assuming all season, non-runflat Pirellis? Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Greetings! Noob here. Just ordered a Dark Sapphire Blue 2017 FP S with the black 20" blades, black pack, and tech pack. This will be a longggg 10-12 weeks needless to say. Coming from several RWD bimmers, I've always opted for summer rubber with a separate winter wheel/tire/sensor setup for the winter. With the AWD FP family hauler, however, I'm hoping to abandon these biannual swaps and rely on all seasons with the AWD. As such, I asked the dealer what rubber will come standard with the S come delivery. His answer was a bit dicey. Either way, he told me they were 'all season performance' tires. For those with the S, is this true? I'm assuming all season, non-runflat Pirellis? Any help would be much appreciated!
Welcome dommydom33 and congrats on your purchase. My S came with Goodyear Eagle F1 AT 20" tires. In snow mode they have done OK around town in recent snow storms. When I replace them I will look for a more aggressive "all season" tire. I have gone this way with my past SUVs and it has worked well. When I need something for more severe conditions I have a 4WD truck with mud and snow tires.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
All S models come standard with the Goodyear Eagle F1 AT 20" wheel. Whether you get the black wheel or grey and diamond tuned, same rubber on both. I can vouch for the performance aspect, they are very sticky in all weather but I am surprised how good they do in the extreme cold. I think you will be impressed when you do some aggressive driving in your pace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The above 2 answers non-withstanding, if you search the boards I think you will find widespread dissatisfaction with the Goodyears performance on ice and snow. They are absolutely terrible. Others (myself included) have immediately swapped them out for Continential Extreme DWS all-seasons (or some other reputable tire). Did we hate eating the additional $1200 or so? Of course, and it is a disgrace that Jaguar put this crap on their S model. But I know how good all-seasons are supposed to perform on snow -no, not as well as a winter tire, but something better than a glorified summer tire which is what the Goodyears are. Good luck to you in determining your own future decision.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My S has Goodyears, but I did see on tirerack.com that Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires are also OEM tires for 20". So I'm wondering if anyone's S has been fitted with those tires?

I agree with Jman97 that the Goodyears are solid and very sticky in dry weather, but in my opinion they are not appropriate for use in snow or ice. There are a lot of reviews on this site and others where people cautioned against using these tires in snow. I've driven on all seasons in insane amounts of snow my whole life and these are the worst in those conditions in my opinion. I switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 ultra high performance all seasons. I have not yet tested them out in snow, but based on reviews, they should be very capable in snow.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My S has Goodyears, but I did see on tirerack.com that Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires are also OEM tires for 20". So I'm wondering if anyone's S has been fitted with those tires?

I agree with Jman97 that the Goodyears are solid and very sticky in dry weather, but in my opinion they are not appropriate for use in snow or ice. There are a lot of reviews on this site and others where people cautioned against using these tires in snow. I've driven on all seasons in insane amounts of snow my whole life and these are the worst in those conditions in my opinion. I switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 ultra high performance all seasons. I have not yet tested them out in snow, but based on reviews, they should be very capable in snow.
Many of us have the Pirelli Scorpion Winters with the Verde wheels, including me: I have used both in the snow and the Winters have more traction in the icy conditions than the Goodyear F1 All Seasons. See the thread: http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-general-discussion-forum/21410-excellent-handling-snow-ice-2.html#post285282

Many views are expressed there.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Maybe it is just me but the Goodyear Eagle F1 AT 20" tires are comparable to any other A/S tire I have driven on. They are fantastic in dry weather and rain... they are decent on snow. IMO if you happen upon a sheet of ice there is going to be no tire that is going to give you traction, you may get slightly better results from winter tires on ice but nothing is going to save you when that happens, not the greatest tire and not the greatest AWD system.

I have driven in snow and ice here in the Northeast and I think the Goodyear tires handle the job nicely, obviously many disagree with me but I am coming from the perspective of someone who has only driven on summer and A/S tires... never have had a winter tire and never will.

Reactions: DSMJAG

·
Registered
129 Posts
Maybe it is just me but the Goodyear Eagle F1 AT 20" tires are comparable to any other A/S tire I have driven on. They are fantastic in dry weather and rain... they are decent on snow. IMO if you happen upon a sheet of ice there is going to be no tire that is going to give you traction, you may get slightly better results from winter tires on ice but nothing is going to save you when that happens, not the greatest tire and not the greatest AWD system.

I have driven in snow and ice here in the Northeast and I think the Goodyear tires handle the job nicely, obviously many disagree with me but I am coming from the perspective of someone who has only driven on summer and A/S tires... never have had a winter tire and never will.
The first highlighted snip above is absolutely NOT true; and the second really means that you are probably not the best person to offer a comparison. Even Tirerack.com tests tires on an ice rink many others do it on frozen lakes.

Now nothing is perfect, but there are many winter tires and even a couple all season / all weather tires that will provide some ice traction. Some obviously better than others. With my limited experience (not much snow since I bought the FP) the std Goodyears are not good in snow. Even at 20mph and driving carefully my FP slid through the first two stop signs she came across into the intersection in packed snow with about an inch of loose snow on top. My Blizzaks never had an issue with this type of situation, same with my current Nokian WRG3's (all weather, not a dedicated winter tire). If someone like Trek would actually drive his FP in the snow we could get an opinion on how the Continental DWS all season tire performs, but I have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The first highlighted snip above is absolutely NOT true; and the second really means that you are probably not the best person to offer a comparison. Even Tirerack.com tests tires on an ice rink many others do it on frozen lakes.

Now nothing is perfect, but there are many winter tires and even a couple all season / all weather tires that will provide some ice traction. Some obviously better than others. With my limited experience (not much snow since I bought the FP) the std Goodyears are not good in snow. Even at 20mph and driving carefully my FP slid through the first two stop signs she came across into the intersection in packed snow with about an inch of loose snow on top. My Blizzaks never had an issue with this type of situation, same with my current Nokian WRG3's (all weather, not a dedicated winter tire). If someone like Trek would actually drive his FP in the snow we could get an opinion on how the Continental DWS all season tire performs, but I have heard good things about them.
Well with all due respect if you slid through a stop sign at 20 mph, no matter how much snow, I don't think you are the best to offer advice about the goodyears either. I have seen the tests that tire rack performs, they get the car going 10 mph in an ice rink and then attempt to stop on ice. Sure the winter tires do it better than the A/S and certainly better than the summers, but I'm referring to the F-pace, or any other AWD car for that matter traveling at highway speeds on the freeway then coming upon a patch of black ice. I would love to see tire rack perform a test like this but they wouldn't risk the driver or the vehicle because they know no matter what tire is equipped there is no saving it.

Now I am not naive, I am positive their are A/S tires out there that are better than the standard Goodyear Eagle F1s but I am saying I don't think they are as terrible as some people have made it seem, at least not in my experience. I have also driven in snow, packed down with a nice layer of fresh powder on top (especially in the Leigh high valley where Penndot doesn't waste their time on the back roads) and the goodyears perform decently especially in conjunction with paddle shifters and ASPC.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well with all due respect if you slid through a stop sign at 20 mph, no matter how much snow, I don't think you are the best to offer advice about the goodyears either. I have seen the tests that tire rack performs, they get the car going 10 mph in an ice rink and then attempt to stop on ice. Sure the winter tires do it better than the A/S and certainly better than the summers, but I'm referring to the F-pace, or any other AWD car for that matter traveling at highway speeds on the freeway then coming upon a patch of black ice. I would love to see tire rack perform a test like this but they wouldn't risk the driver or the vehicle because they know no matter what tire is equipped there is no saving it.

Now I am not naive, I am positive their are A/S tires out there that are better than the standard Goodyear Eagle F1s but I am saying I don't think they are as terrible as some people have made it seem, at least not in my experience. I have also driven in snow, packed down with a nice layer of fresh powder on top (especially in the Leigh high valley where Penndot doesn't waste their time on the back roads) and the goodyears perform decently especially in conjunction with paddle shifters and ASPC.
The first highlighted snip - that is condescending and you owe him an apology

The second highlighted snip - according to the majority on these boards, you would be dead wrong

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The first highlighted snip - that is condescending and you owe him an apology

The second highlighted snip - according to the majority on these boards, you would be dead wrong
Not condescending at all, and unfortunately for you, you don't get to dictate to people.

Why don't you try adding value to the thread, you don't need to come to someones defense when you don't even know the context in what I was trying to say. Do you have any experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1 AT 20" tires? Anything else to add besides trying to turn nothing into a huge ordeal?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not condescending at all, and unfortunately for you, you don't get to dictate to people.

Why don't you try adding value to the thread, you don't need to come to someones defense when you don't even know the context in what I was trying to say. Do you have any experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1 AT 20" tires? Anything else to add besides trying to turn nothing into a huge ordeal?

Try reading my posting a few back

I had much experience with that crappy tire and already replaced it. Try reading postings before commenting

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Try reading my posting a few back

I had much experience with that crappy tire and already replaced it. Try reading postings before commenting
Try not commenting unless you are going to add something to the thread. Way to many instances of people like yourself trying to turn nothing into a big hoopla and what ends up happening is the thread gets ruined. Just for future reference of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not a goodyear fan, I would have preferred the Continentals, but the comments make it seem as if they will not get you from point A to point B in the snow and ice which is not true. There are better tires out there but the goodyears are fine for the occassional snow storm. I have had zero issues in two snow storms and one ice storm. I took my time and made it safe and sound.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I am not a goodyear fan, I would have preferred the Continentals, but the comments make it seem as if they will not get you from point A to point B in the snow and ice which is not true. There are better tires out there but the goodyears are fine for the occassional snow storm. I have had zero issues in two snow storms and one ice storm. I took my time and made it safe and sound.
Could not have said it better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yep, I didn't have any problems in the light snow we have here on occasion. Agree it isn't the best and I'd change if I lived where snow was a regular event. On the other hand they are good enough for the odd snowfall and maybe not great in any regard but not bad either. They're relatively quiet, have decent traction in most conditions, don't ride too rough, etc. I've had worse stock rubber.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts