Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: very interesting to see this, has been an on and off complaint since early on, will probably add to the pre-delivery letter.

Reference SSM73381
Models F-PACE / X761
XE / X760
XF / X260
Title Jaguar XF, XE and F Pace Front End Panel Gapping / Profiles
Category Body
Last modified 12-Jun-2017 00:00:00
Symptom 111000 Body Panel(s)/Unibody

Content
Issue
X761 Jaguar F-pace, X760 Jaguar XE and X260 Jaguar XF Customers may report poor Bonnet to Front End Panel gapping / profiles

Cause
Several potential causes which Engineering are Investigating

Action
Should a customer report this concern, then prior to any rectification worked is carried out you are kindly requested to measure the gaps at the areas shown in the attached presentation then please email the measurements to ....

This is one photo out of several in instructions for measuring spacing/alignment:

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I've got this one ! It is not bad enough for me to make a special *105 Mile One Way Trip* to the dealer for ! Will get it looked at next time I'm there ! Good to see that they are still addressing many issues !

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I was noticing this at our Harrisburg meet and greet. The gaps were all over the map.
Some were quite pronounced:eek:
Mine is not the best, but I feel I can live with it.

Reactions: Stephen Smith

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Mine is consistent across the hood at least, but it's very wide, wider than I would like, but I haven't complained about it to get it fixed yet. I would very much like to have the gap that is shown on the F-Pace in the picture. Mine is about twice that distance.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mine is consistent across the hood at least, but it's very wide, wider than I would like, but I haven't complained about it to get it fixed yet. I would very much like to have the gap that is shown on the F-Pace in the picture. Mine is about twice that distance.
Exact same for me.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Perhaps we could do well to actually post the measurements?

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps we could do well to actually post the measurements?
If you are referring to Jaguar's recommended measures there are none. The instructions just ask techs to measure the flush and gap measurements in mm and report back to Jaguar on an Excel worksheet.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If you are referring to Jaguar's recommended measures there are none. The instructions just ask techs to measure the flush and gap measurements in mm and report back to Jaguar on an Excel worksheet.
Actually, I meant our own, might be an interesting exercise to see how far off we all are, to fully understand the extent of the problem.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I know Ive got this one on the left side between the side panel and front bumper/hood.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Add mine to the list. The area marked "1" for me sticks out from the vehicle. Very noticeable looking down the hood towards the front but I'll wait until I have to bring it in to get addressed.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
My distance between the hood and the front top of the bumper is about 3/8s of an inch across areas 1,2, 4 and 5. It gradually grows every so slightly between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 to almost a 1/2 inch at 3. So I guess using a ruler it's not consistent all the way across. The difference is small though and it's not noticeable. I would like the gap to be a 1/4 inch all the way across though. I think that would look best and be more like the F-Pace in the pic above, but maybe I'm splitting hairs.

I'd post a pic of the gap, but I don't want to get GR all upset again about me taking over another thread with pictures of my F-Pace. :)

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Measured mine. Points 1 and 5 are both consistent at 1/8" which is also the gap along both sides back to the windshield, I think this is how it should be. The front three measurements widen significantly, with 1/4" for points 2 and 4, and in the center, 3/8ths of an inch. That front gap does look too wide when compared to the rest of the vehicle panels.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the form Jaguar is asking techs to submit:

·
Registered
626 Posts
**** it, I can't go to the car anymore without looking for the gaps and wondering if I should bring it to the attention of my SA on next visit. Didn't notice it too much before. Ugh!

·
Registered
932 Posts
So...does Jaguar not have anyone LOOK at the vehicles before they leave the manufacturing plant? I don't know ANYTHING about manufacturing, but it's surprising to me that large, uneven gaps between panels on so many cars aren't detected before the car is released. One might think that Jaguar has no idea what it's doing or has never manufactured a car before. Quality Control 101 - if it looks jacked up and you actually care about what your customers think about your brand, then don't release it to the customer.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So...does Jaguar not have anyone LOOK at the vehicles before they leave the manufacturing plant? I don't know ANYTHING about manufacturing, but it's surprising to me that large, uneven gaps between panels on so many cars aren't detected before the car is released. One might think that Jaguar has no idea what it's doing or has never manufactured a car before. Quality Control 101 - if it looks jacked up and you actually care about what your customers think about your brand, then don't release it to the customer.

The purpose of this is to determine where the manufacturing or possible transit problem is occurring and how many vehicles. Might be something post factory that's happening. Not sure where "so many cars" comes from.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
. . and not knowing what the specification from the factory is, this is all speculation.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The purpose of this is to determine where the manufacturing or possible transit problem is occurring and how many vehicles. Might be something post factory that's happening. Not sure where "so many cars" comes from.
"So many cars" comes from reports of forum members on this site, the fact that you find it necessary to add it to the pre-delivery letter, as well as the fact that SSM73381 even exists. If this only affected a few cars, we wouldn't even being discussing this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My hood is fine however my tailgate is not quite aligned when it's closed on the left side (shut too much inside). Quality control in these cars are amazing. I was speechless to see the mismatched sill plate on my car since day 1! How did that pass QC for delivery to begin with!?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts