Category
Chassis
Last modified
29-Mar-2017 00:00:00
Symptom
303000 Steering/Handling

Content
Issue:
A customer may report a noise when turning the steering wheel, which is confirmed by the dealer as originating from the steering column. This issue is affecting X260, X760 and X761.

Cause:
JLR engineering are currently investigating to understand any situations where the steering column is the cause of noise when turning.

Action:
If this condition is present on the vehicle please follow the below where applicable:

1. If a knock or creak noise is present - Identify where this noise is coming from before upper steering column removal. Confirm the noise originates in the upper universal joint. Replace the bolt that connects the upper steering column to the intermediate shaft, and tighten the new bolt to 22Nm. Refer to TOPIx, section 211-04 Steering Column Lower Shaft.

2. If a Squeak noise is present - Identify where this noise is coming from before upper steering column removal. Confirm the noise originates in the Bulkhead Seal. Align the foam surround so that it is not contacting the Steering Column Shaft.

3. If a grinding noise is present - Identify where this noise is coming from. Confirm the noise originates at the steering angle sensor, remove the sensor, clean and refit. Refer to TOPIx, section 211-05 Steering Column Switches.

Once these actions have been taken and if the noise still persists then replace the steering column and report fault via an ePQR with appropriate noise description. If possible, please include a sound/video file of the noise.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Knock, Creak, Squeak or Grind noise from Steering column
Category
Chassis
Last modified
29-Mar-2017 00:00:00
Symptom
303000 Steering/Handling

Content
Issue:
A customer may report a noise when turning the steering wheel, which is confirmed by the dealer as originating from the steering column. This issue is affecting X260, X760 and X761.

Cause:
JLR engineering are currently investigating to understand any situations where the steering column is the cause of noise when turning.

Action:
If this condition is present on the vehicle please follow the below where applicable:

1. If a knock or creak noise is present - Identify where this noise is coming from before upper steering column removal. Confirm the noise originates in the upper universal joint. Replace the bolt that connects the upper steering column to the intermediate shaft, and tighten the new bolt to 22Nm. Refer to TOPIx, section 211-04 Steering Column Lower Shaft.

2. If a Squeak noise is present - Identify where this noise is coming from before upper steering column removal. Confirm the noise originates in the Bulkhead Seal. Align the foam surround so that it is not contacting the Steering Column Shaft.

3. If a grinding noise is present - Identify where this noise is coming from. Confirm the noise originates at the steering angle sensor, remove the sensor, clean and refit. Refer to TOPIx, section 211-05 Steering Column Switches.

Once these actions have been taken and if the noise still persists then replace the steering column and report fault via an ePQR with appropriate noise description. If possible, please include a sound/video file of the noise.

I had this one last year when it was warm out, but it went away when the cold came. I'm expecting it to reappear soon.... hopefully this may help in getting it resolved. I still have tons of video/audio of the creaking for Jag if they need it!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
So this Creak has returned to my F-Pace with the singing of the birds with spring. It seems fairly constant temperature above 60 degrees or so have brought this creak back. I am also approaching my 16k service in about 1k miles so i will be looking for them to figure this one out with the Topix guidance above. Thanks again for sharing VZX.

Reactions: VZX-CO
1 - 3 of 3 Posts