Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an X-Pel Ultimate application (front bumper, headlights, bikini hood, door cups and gas filler cover), I applyed the first coat of wax to the car. While buffing the FRP (plastic) rear quarter-panels under the tail-lights with a micro-fiber cloth, I noticed a squeak. A light push on the panels causes them to move about 1/4" in and out and squeak as the panels rub against weatherstripping under the tail-lights: the panels under the tail-light seems to be "floating". I could play "Three Blind Mice" just pushing on different spots...not the type of music one wants to hear!

The glossy black plastic exterior trim pieces already show "micro-scratches" here and there on a two week old garaged car with 480 miles! It appears a light touch with fingernails can scratch the finish. Hand wax you vehicle and you will get to know it.

The plastic tow hook cover in the plastic bumper is poorly designed and keeps popping out and dangling. It looks cheap because it is! This forum has mentions of fixes with tape and glue, but c'mon Jaguar!

I also find the two glossy piano-black plastic trim pieces on the top of the interior console to be too soft and scratch-prone to be used in such a high wear area. I may laminate with X-Pel or a cut-to-fit piece computer monitor protection film.

Any others finding issues with "fit and finish" and questionable materials?

As I ordered the car unseen, I was surprised with the large number of plastic exterior body panels: front bumper, rear tailgate, rear quarter-panels, rear bumper... Brings up troubling questions of durability....aluminum + plastic= disposable and recyclable?

Good thing this baby is beautiful!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was told by the mechanic who replaced my headlights that there were a surprising amount of hardware missing from the front bumper (screws, brackets, etc.). They were the only ones to touch the bumper so believe it came that way from the factory (or fell off during delivery). With that being said, I haven't noticed any loose panels or squeaking, but wouldn't be surprised if the same case existed elsewhere on the vehicle. Still have another 57 months/56K miles left on warranty, so am not that concerned at this time.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
1) Yes, the black plastic material on door pillars shows micro scratches immediately, basically as soon as you wash it. I'm getting mine buffed then wrapped right now to stop this. Would strongly recommend if you wrap nothing else wrap these. According to my service folks this is a problem on other types of Jaguars too.

2) You might check with your dealer on the tow hook thingies popping out. Not sure when you received your vehicle but there was a change in shipping procedures so that the pop out pieces were supposed to be shipped and protected in the vehicle during transport from factory. This should have eliminated damage and popping out. Your service folks should address this.

3) Regarding the multiple griping about use of plastic on interior and exterior, guess what folks, that's the way of the future. Making vehicles as light weight as possible where they can, while maintaining safety, is the only way powerful vehicles can meet the fleet fuel economy standards mandated, rightly so, by the federal government.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've notice the front fenders and rears squeaking and I've also noticed the scratches on some of those black plastic pieces as well. I plan on getting the black plastic issue fixed by wrapping as well, including the center console area.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1) Yes, the black plastic material on door pillars shows micro scratches immediately, basically as soon as you wash it. I'm getting mine buffed then wrapped right now to stop this. Would strongly recommend if you wrap nothing else wrap these. According to my service folks this is a problem on other types of Jaguars too.
Not to resurrect a long since passed thread, but curious as to how you wrapped the black-plastic? I would think that would show off the fact that it's wrapped (and if it started bubbling, would look tremendously bad).

But if it can be done in such a way that it's not completely obvious; I think this is a fantastic idea. Soft(ish) plastic is next to impossible to keep blemish free. And while it makes it cheap to create replacement parts, I'm sure Jaguar would charge about $150/sqinch for that...

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Not to resurrect a long since passed thread, but curious as to how you wrapped the black-plastic? I would think that would show off the fact that it's wrapped (and if it started bubbling, would look tremendously bad).

But if it can be done in such a way that it's not completely obvious; I think this is a fantastic idea. Soft(ish) plastic is next to impossible to keep blemish free. And while it makes it cheap to create replacement parts, I'm sure Jaguar would charge about $150/sqinch for that...
The dealer had a shop across the street do it, worked well. Can’t tell it’s there. Eventually had some done for center console plastic on interior.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So it's similar to the film that you (may) put on the the hood and such, Sun-Tec I think one brand is called?

And if you can't see it; this will be slam dunk to do.

Do you know how long each application is supposed to last (I assume after a few years the sticky bits may start to become unsticky and you'll need to reapply)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts