Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my 280kw to sound EXACTLY, like the V6 ftype engine. Palllleeese don't tell me to watch another youtube video with a quicksilver exhaust. To me it sounds nothing like it. In an article I read, Ian Callum mentioned they purposely toned down the note for the SUV, to appease the family target market.

I want to know what is missing so I can make my suv sound like the V6 Ftype. I'm not mechanically minded, so please advise. Is it the exhaust, is it the way it's tuned ? is it a bolt? a nut ? chewing gum?

What is it ??? My Fpace FE almost costs the same as a second hand V6 ftype, but it sounds nothing alike.

I find I have to drive like the dukes of hazzard to get my kitty to purrrr......

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would compare the exhaust very closely. May just be bigger mufflers and resonators added in. Haven't taken a gander under the F-Type but I did notice resonators under our F-Pace. Also the F-Type has bi-modal exhaust if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It was a huge mistake not offering a sport exhaust on this car, they would have had a lot of checks being placed in that box when it came time to order.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It was a huge mistake not offering a sport exhaust on this car, they would have had a lot of checks being placed in that box when it came time to order.
I dont think they would of had enough to make the option cash flow positive. This is an SUV first and a performance oriented crossover second. I think a good portion of forum members would have checked it but I don't think a large majority of people who bought the F-pace would be interested in a performance exhaust; the exhaust on it already drowns the cabin with an immense amount of exhaust noise so I could imagine what it would sound like with an F-type exhaust.

I think it has a lot to do with the mufflers, the OEM mufflers are HUGE and the result is a higher pitched exhaust tone, the QS mufflers are much smaller and have a much deeper growl to them. Im sure if it is just exhaust components (which Im confident it is) you could visit a Jag dealer and pay them X amount of money to see if they could switch your F-pace exhaust out with an F-type exhaust, not sure if that is a viable solution but worth a look.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Different packaging so that won't be happening. The exhaust as is speaks to compromise. They wanted to inject some Jag into it but also keep the soccer moms happy. A sport exhaust nowadays is usually going to be dual mode and could have been both more quiet and more boisterous. Win, win. The soccer moms that bought it because it was pretty could simply not check the box and go with the standard exhaust. That one is usually (relatively) quiet when a sport exhaust is offered.

Whatever our opinion may be the market has already spoken, the option has high sell through where available.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Different packaging so that won't be happening. The exhaust as is speaks to compromise. They wanted to inject some Jag into it but also keep the soccer moms happy. A sport exhaust nowadays is usually going to be dual mode and could have been both more quiet and more boisterous. Win, win. The soccer moms that bought it because it was pretty could simply not check the box and go with the standard exhaust. That one is usually (relatively) quiet when a sport exhaust is offered.

Whatever our opinion may be the market has already spoken, the option has high sell through where available.
Well, Not enough for Jag to offer it. There is a reason for everything my friend, and they must have found reasons on why they wouldn't offer it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Possibly the same reasons many cars initially came without it but had it added in after the car went to market? lol I think we're only looking at the opening salvo, there are many changes in store for this car just like any other car. I think it was a mistake to not have it available initially and I think it is a mistake they are going to fix. These are my opinions of course and time will tell which of us had the most informed opinion or best guess if you will. If they do offer it just like in those other cars the sport exhaust will become a potential upgrade for early adopters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you google ftype exhaust images scroll down and you can see the exact cat back systems on the ftype. They don't have the middle two resonators like out fpace and the muffler is a two in one. I have been playing around with the sound of my fpace and it seems like straight pipe back to the two dual mufflers and have them replaced with a smaller "sportier" muffler should do the trick or get us close. Too bad the ftype exhaust won't fit cause that would have been to easy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It isn't just the muffer to consider, you have to get vacuum back to the actuators and then you have the programming factor. If this does come on the SVR then it may be possible to steal the works but it won't be cheap I'm thinking. It would be simple to make a dual mode muffler with electric actuators as there is plenty of space even though you would have to route back into one tip but I think it might be a difficult task to get pay off for an aftermarket outfit. The FP is selling in Corvette style numbers where exhausts are plentiful but this is a different demographic and I think Jmans thinking might be more applicable. I hope to be proven wrong because I would dump the stock cans for a good dual mode setup in a heartbeat were it available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas! I like the idea of going to Jag Mechanics department to ask the question. To see what the difference is and somehow try mimic it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts