Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ..

Anyone with success on a data plan other then the OEM standard ATT .. example (Rogers SIM card) ?
thanks

Matt

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am not in Canada, but torontoadvocate posted on 9/28 that he is using a Rogers Sim with ease and success.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in Canada and use a Rogers SIM card without any issues. I added a SIM card to my share everything plan as a "data only tablet plan" for $10/month.

Reactions: RoonieQ

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If 2018's come with 4G LTE, Could you substitute an activated Verizon 4G SIM card? Does the slot take the NANO sized or the MICRO sized card?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you need a SIM/cellular connection for the apps and remote starter to work, or will this functionality work with WiFi/bluetooth?

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Do you need a SIM/cellular connection for the apps and remote starter to work, or will this functionality work with WiFi/bluetooth?

see a lot more detail on this elsewhere (Remote thread) but in summary:
1) Remote function does not happen by a direct connection between phone and car (eg, Bluetooth or WiFi), instead data passes from Remote app on phone to cloud servers over the internet (cellular or wifi) and then to car and same in reverse, car talks to cloud server relaying information to cloud server that is then relayed to your phone app over internet. So you could be in say Los Angeles and Remote start your car in Iowa.
2) The communication between vehicle and the cloud server occurs over a built in cellular data connection that is separate from the owner connection/sim. Same is true for Jaguar service button and emergency alerting. So you do not need your own SIM for these functions to work. All of this happen through a box buried in car called the telematics unit.
3) If you have ICTP and you have the Jaguar InControl Apps (which stink), these phone based apps communicate with ICTP through the USB cable socket in the center console connected by a high quality USB cable to your phone.
4) the owner SIM, for ICTP, services things like real time traffic, wifi hotspot data and more.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,418 Posts
I was told by service that the emergency and breakdown button work over a satellite uplink. I have not been able to confirm that. However I guess that’s how it can work in the middle of nowhere

DP

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
From reading the telematics manual the ecall and bcall functions operate through the telematics unit and don’t appear to have satellite functionality. I think there is a warning somewhere in the manual that when in the middle of nowhere one can be out of range of these services working. If there is contrary data would be interested to see it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you, believe it or not, the remote start is a thing for my wife, and to be honest I am still confused how it works. How does the app get a signal to the car? Regardless, we just bought out F-Pace yesterday, and take delivery next Saturday so we're going to have some time to figure things out ;).

I appreciate all the help!

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Thank you, believe it or not, the remote start is a thing for my wife, and to be honest I am still confused how it works. How does the app get a signal to the car? Regardless, we just bought out F-Pace yesterday, and take delivery next Saturday so we're going to have some time to figure things out ;).

I appreciate all the help!
REMOTE APP/PHONE<—-{{internet via wifi or cell svc}}——>JAGUAR REMOTE SERVER<——{{internet via cell svc}}-->CAR

Hope that helps, here’s another version

1) You start the Remote App, over the internet via either cell service or wifi it says to the Jaguar server somewhere “Hey, it’s me, make sure you know it’s me and request info from the car”
2) Jaguar server says “hey it is you and you’re authorized to talk to this car” then over cell service to car “hey car, are you there? what’s going on, what’s your status”
3) Car says “hey Jaguar server, good to hear from you, I’m here, my windows and doors are locked”
4) Jaguar server hears this and sends message to phone “hey I heard from your car, here is its status”

Similar scenario for starting the car using Remote except for some of us, sometimes someone along the way drops the phone ;)

————
PS: You may wish to take advantage of this pre delivery letter, customize and send to your dealer ASAP to help insure a smooth delivery and use it as your checklist before accepting vehicle:
http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jag...on-forum/27458-owner-pre-delivery-letter.html

Even if you don’t use the letter DO NOT LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP without having worked with them to establish registraion for Remote and demonstrating that it works. By the time you leave you want to be able to stand there with the Remote app on your phone, start the car and see it starting. Download the app before you go for pickup but do no try to initiate any login/sign up info until you are at the dealer. There’s a specific process for that.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Just to confirm regarding how SOS works, it does work over cellular service and if that is not available it will fail. See below:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to confirm regarding how SOS works, it does work over cellular service and if that is not available it will fail. See below:

it would be stupid but I wonder if it uses your connected cellphone to make the call

·
Registered
62 Posts
3) If you have ICTP and you have the Jaguar InControl Apps (which stink), these phone based apps communicate with ICTP through the USB cable socket in the center console connected by a high quality USB cable to your phone.
I don't subscribe to the in vehicle SIM.

I had my phone (iPhone X) connected yesterday via a blue tooth connection. My pod casts were playing, the phone was working. I went to use the navigation system, and it said the search would be performed offline (sorry should have snapped a picture, I can't remember the exact wording). Do I physically need to connect the phone via cable?

I didn't have any InControl apps running on my phone at the time.

Doesn't my phone just hot-spot the car, or does it need to be physically connected for it all to work?

Thanks!

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I don't subscribe to the in vehicle SIM.

I had my phone (iPhone X) connected yesterday via a blue tooth connection. My pod casts were playing, the phone was working. I went to use the navigation system, and it said the search would be performed offline (sorry should have snapped a picture, I can't remember the exact wording). Do I physically need to connect the phone via cable?

I didn't have any InControl apps running on my phone at the time.

Doesn't my phone just hot-spot the car, or does it need to be physically connected for it all to work?

Thanks!
You need to go into connectivity settings in ICTP and join your phone’s hotspot network via WiFi. Obviously your phone hot spot connection should be active to do this. When you rely on your phone’s connectivity to internet versus the owner SIM and built in connectivity it all happens over WiFi not Bluetooth. Bluetooth is essentially a wireless alternative to the USB cord for accessing your phone’s content (podcasts, music, etc) but it doesn’t handle the data transport for outside connectivity.

Reactions: jbedford

·
Registered
62 Posts
You need to go into connectivity settings in ICTP and join your phone’s hotspot network via WiFi. Obviously your phone hot spot connection should be active to do this. When you rely on your phone’s connectivity to internet versus the owner SIM and built in connectivity it all happens over WiFi not Bluetooth. Bluetooth is essentially a wireless alternative to the USB cord for accessing your phone’s content (podcasts, music, etc) but it doesn’t handle the data transport for outside connectivity.
Worked like a charm... thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
What to expect with Sim card?

I have successfully installed the Freedom Pop Sim card and the displays shows 3G. What features can I expect to see now that I have a Sim card installed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts