Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My free AT&T trial is up next week, so I decided to try the FreedomPop Global SIM kit before going the route of the wifi hotspot or tethering to my phone. When you order the FreedomPop sim, it automatically signs you up for about 25$/month worth of services, but you can easily downgrade to a free, 200MB/month plan. So far I have only had the sim in for 4 days, and with routine use, am only averaging 2-4 MB/day. I'll update after a road trip this weekend to see how much is used with more time in the car.

Reactions: McD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone interested in the viability of the free, FreedomPop sim card:

I took a roadtrip this weekend from NC to DC. Used the Nav system pretty much the whole time with mobile data, traffic, etc... turned on. The entire weekend, I used 32 MB of data, so I think the 200MB/month is going to be fine most months for someone that doesn't have a huge daily commute. I did opt to pay FreedomPop 3.99/month, as this allows data rollover, so $48/year for a data plan in the car seems pretty good to me. Could always go the completely free route of tethering to your phone, but I found that this connection has to be made every time I get in the car vs the SIM card which always just connects with no hassle.

Reactions: bpmba

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts

I took a roadtrip this weekend from NC to DC. Used the Nav system pretty much the whole time with mobile data, traffic, etc... turned on. The entire weekend, I used 32 MB of data, so I think the 200MB/month is going to be fine most months for someone that doesn't have a huge daily commute. I did opt to pay FreedomPop 3.99/month, as this allows data rollover, so $48/year for a data plan in the car seems pretty good to me. Could always go the completely free route of tethering to your phone, but I found that this connection has to be made every time I get in the car vs the SIM card which always just connects with no hassle.
I've found both with phone hotspot and my Zubie hotspot thing that if I wait a few minutes I don't have to manually reconnect to either. I'm pretty convinced there is a boot up sequence where a) tries to initialize the 3G connection b) then boots up the wifi. C) then boots up navigation. This would make sense in that car establishes connectivity first before booting the subsystems that utilize that connection. If I just leave everything alone for a bit it autoreconnects to whatever I used last for wifi connection. I was initially very frustrated and kept going in and manually connecting but then discovered if I leave it alone it reconnects automatically.

Reactions: uncheel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the update! I just ordered my FreedomPop sim kit today. Wasn't sure if the car will accept anything beside the official AT&T SIM, but thanks to your post I found the answer. Got to love this free service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The entire weekend, I used 32 MB of data, so I think the 200MB/month is going to be fine most months for someone that doesn't have a huge daily commute. I did opt to pay FreedomPop 3.99/month, as this allows data rollover, so $48/year for a data plan in the car seems pretty good to me.
so, if you use none, the full 200 rolls over? if you use more than you have, does it die or does it charge you an overage fee?

thanks for sharing! this may be ideal for me

·
Registered
47 Posts

Are you indicating that some features of the NAV system would not be available without the SIM card with valid subscription? My understanding was that the SIM card allows you to get a better mobile data signal inside the car and share it with up to 8 end devices. If it is so then I am glad it is just the NAV and not some of the electronic car controls >:)

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Are you indicating that some features of the NAV system would not be available without the SIM card with valid subscription? My understanding was that the SIM card allows you to get a better mobile data signal inside the car and share it with up to 8 end devices. If it is so then I am glad it is just the NAV and not some of the electronic car controls >:)
There are a lot of features of ICTP that depend on a solid internet/cellular connection provided either by owner cellular/SIM account/built in cellular system (i.e. AT&T 3G) or a hotspot like an owner's phone.

Navigation stuff relying on internet connection that I can think of off top of my head:
- traffic updates
- route/destinations sharing with either Route Planner app or Route Planner website
- vehicle location, at least as shown in Route Planner app
- satellite maps overlay
- greatly enhanced destination search function
- destination sharing where Nav will update your chosen contact(s) by SMS or email on your expected arrival time

Other stuff relying on internet connection:
- Live capabilities including News, Weather, Flight info

I'm sure there is more stuff I'm forgetting but basically you want a solid meter e.g. connection either through ATT 3G or a hotspot to enjoy full functionality if you have ICTP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so, if you use none, the full 200 rolls over? if you use more than you have, does it die or does it charge you an overage fee?

thanks for sharing! this may be ideal for me

If I remember the fine print correctly:

If you choose the 200MB/month plan only, then at 100MB of usage you have to have some credit stored with them in case you go over the 200MB limit. I believe they let you keep as little as $5 credit on file with them. When you are out of MB/credit, I think the card stops functioning until you reach the next month.

If you opt for the 3.99/month rollover data, then you can rollover data each month to a max accumulated data of 20GB. According to their website, it also says this option allows you to avoid "pay as you go" data charges.

It's still a learning process for me, but so far I'm happy with the service. I've had NO connection issues.

Reactions: uncheel

·
Registered
310 Posts
Canadian SIM Cards

After my software for ICTP was updated at the dealer, my complimentary ATT wireless would not work and I was having difficulty getting into the site to reconnect.

With only about a month to go for the ATT free plan, I decided to change over to Rogers which is my wireless provider. I was going to go to Rogers in any event, just happened a few weeks earlier.

The change to Rogers was very easy, New SIM Card just popped in and configured the wireless on the ICTP and worked flawlessly. I am on the Flex Plan light which is $10 per month for 100MB and then goes to $30 for $500 etc. The plan adjusts the charges each month by the amount used. Personally I am likely a very light user and the 100MB should suffice. If I find that it is not sufficient, I can go to another plan whish would lock in the rate but at a cheaper price per MB.

Rogers as most Canadians know is the largest wireless provider in Canada with a very stable network.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just talked to the "technology guy " at my dealership. He said that one of the major updates that's coming in October is to clean up the 3G connectivity. so apparently the problem is a shortcoming with the ICTP system, rather than the slot for the Sim card.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Curious to find out if the FreedomPop SIM card users 3G connection drops off like AT&T? Might tell us if it's a vehicle issue or SIM card.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Just talked to the "technology guy " at my dealership. He said that one of the major updates that's coming in October is to clean up the 3G connectivity. so apparently the problem is a shortcoming with the ICTP system, rather than the slot for the Sim card.
Very useful, thank you. You may have saved my sim slot from scotch tape overload.

I've been wondering why this glitch has not appeared in Topix with quite a few of us having it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I hope this is the case, but from what I've seen with running my SIM with two layers of scotch tape on the back of it, my connectivity is much better, more consistent, less drops and much less of the C with the / through it.

So maybe the software may provide for a bit of a buffer for no connectivity, accepting some level of no connectivity before it starts it's reconnect sequence, but I can clearly tell you there is some level of physical connectivity problem with the SIM and the Slot.

Note this is the second SIM Telematics module in my F-Pace and they both demonstrated similar levels of non connectivity until I helped the SIM stay connected better in some way in the tray/slot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still using T-Mobile

My free AT&T trial is up next week, so I decided to try the FreedomPop Global SIM kit before going the route of the wifi hotspot or tethering to my phone. When you order the FreedomPop sim, it automatically signs you up for about 25$/month worth of services, but you can easily downgrade to a free, 200MB/month plan. So far I have only had the sim in for 4 days, and with routine use, am only averaging 2-4 MB/day. I'll update after a road trip this weekend to see how much is used with more time in the car.
Thanks to Stormgrey I am still using a T-Mobile SIM which has been working successfully for almost a month. Your post is very timely as I am coming up yo renewal and if this works will save $$$. Which options on the website did you chose? It does not seem to be accepting my ESN/MEID/IMEI to give me option. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
After my software for ICTP was updated at the dealer, my complimentary ATT wireless would not work and I was having difficulty getting into the site to reconnect.

With only about a month to go for the ATT free plan, I decided to change over to Rogers which is my wireless provider. I was going to go to Rogers in any event, just happened a few weeks earlier.

The change to Rogers was very easy, New SIM Card just popped in and configured the wireless on the ICTP and worked flawlessly. I am on the Flex Plan light which is $10 per month for 100MB and then goes to $30 for $500 etc. The plan adjusts the charges each month by the amount used. Personally I am likely a very light user and the 100MB should suffice. If I find that it is not sufficient, I can go to another plan whish would lock in the rate but at a cheaper price per MB.

Rogers as most Canadians know is the largest wireless provider in Canada with a very stable network.
I did this too, but instead chose to use my Share Everything Plan that has 3GB /month. Still have a couple of weeks left on the ATT trial.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you using the free 200 MB plan w/ T-Mobile sim?
Hi, Duggins. Not sure if this question was directed at me or not, but I'll answer it anyway.....

I've been using FreedomPop for over 6 months now. I'm on the free 200MB/month plan, but I do pay 3.99/month so that my unused data rolls over. I now have accumulated a whopping 1.62 gigs of data on rollover ;)

Monthly usage has never gone over 200MB, but I have a very short commute and haven't taken any significant road trips. No one uses the hotspot in the car.

Coverage seems very good and I have not had any problems with the drops in service that others have complained about with AT&T, but to be fair, I didn't have any problems with AT&T coverage either.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Just to note; many - but not all - ATT coverage complaints turned out to be bad telematics units.

Reactions: ctufieldops
1 - 19 of 19 Posts