Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my vehicle back after installation of deployable side steps. Picture attached. Glitch during install. They got everything in and all set but when they went into diagnostic/configuration they can see the check box for indicating "deployable" but can't activate it. Have raised a TA with Jaguar and expect they will have a revised vehicle configuration file early this coming week. I'm going back in for a few more tweaks in ten days and they will fix problem then. Said it was fine to drive but skip any off roading until the steps can retract.

I put in sidesteps because I've found when I need to muck around with racks on top I've been having to step on door frame or seat. Will be interesting to seem them retract.

Also tweaked my mudflap setup. When I first received vehicle the mudflaps had a gap between outer body and mudflap rim. They had done the proper install but the sticky tape used to seal mudflap to body was insufficient. Now nice and tight to body. I like 'em but it's personal preference.

PS: dealer did a great job cleaning vehicle and then ten minutes after I left I drove by some road work on Broadway and they were cutting cement, now a nifty grey coat of dust all over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Looks nice! Definitely want to see what they look like when retracted.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice! Definitely want to see what they look like when retracted.

Will get a video together when all is working right.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The more I see BRG on the F-Pace in owners' pics the more I like it. To my eye, this particular Jag colour looks best on the F-Pace. I've never warmed to it before now, having seen it on many other models, but find it totally suits FP. Most fetching.

And VZX-CO, your rig definitely looks ready for taking on any adventure. :D

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The more I see BRG on the F-Pace in owners' pics the more I like it. To my eye, this particular Jag colour looks best on the F-Pace. I've never warmed to it before now, having seen it on many other models, but find it totally suits FP. Most fetching.

And VZX-CO, your rig definitely looks ready for taking on any adventure. :D
BRG is a horrible color, I hate it and no one else should ever ever order it, particularly if they live in Colorado, NM, WY or AZ ;)

PS: I should have added above that I badly dinged my right rear rim the second day of owning vehicle. Managed to curb it making a turn and about a 8 inches of rim edge right next to tire was scraped down to aluminum. Had dealer address it and for $165 it's pretty miraculous, I can't for life of me tell where damage was. Also added the 1/2 height luggage compartment shield/gate thing. Attaches to the forward luggage tie down and a mount in roof on each side. No more dog drool on back seats. He's gonna be pissed when he rides in his new doggy prison though.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Will get a video together when all is working right.
Can't wait to see the video ! Could you put it to some "Springsteen" again Please ? Your musical selection on the last one sure did bring back some fond memories ! :) Also , I had "Mud Flaps" on my Ford Dualie Pickups , you have "Splash Guards" ! :) :) :) Just kiddin' around ! They do look AWESOME on your Rig , and I am seriously considering them for mine , but I am worried that they will stand out too much next to the Glacier White ! I am probably just thinking too hard again ! :) Anyway , GREAT LOOKING RIDE ! And it seems like you are putting it to good use !

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
BRG is a horrible color, I hate it and no one else should ever ever order it, particularly if they live in Colorado, NM, WY or AZ ;)

PS: I should have added above that I badly dinged my right rear rim the second day of owning vehicle. Managed to curb it making a turn and about a 8 inches of rim edge right next to tire was scraped down to aluminum. Had dealer address it and for $165 it's pretty miraculous, I can't for life of me tell where damage was. Also added the 1/2 height luggage compartment shield/gate thing. Attaches to the forward luggage tie down and a mount in roof on each side. No more dog drool on back seats. He's gonna be pissed when he rides in his new doggy prison though.
I realize that you are a "Senior Member" , but does that mean you are a SENIOR as well ? Please try to keep'em OFF the Curbs for now on ! :) P.S. A Pic of the new shield/gate thing would be Greatly Appreciated !

·
Registered
173 Posts

As a dog owner myself I completely understand...as a matter of fact we have a vehicle we bought last year and the decision was influenced HEAVILY on just taking him to the vet (VERY heavy shedder). If the wife has her way (and she most always does) he'll never see the inside of her F-Pace...LOL !!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey VZX- just saw the video. It's awesome. Maybe we will plan a long road trip to CO next summer!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Retractable Side Steps work great and virtually disappear

VZX-CO: Sorry to hear of your issues with the retractable side steps. It may be of little solace to you that I've had no issues with them at all (except the FYI below) . My wife didn't like stepping over my often grimed-up non-retractables on my MDX, so this seems a great, if expensive solution. Shots of the steps retracted are attached. The black of the side steps just make them disappear once retracted. You maybe lose an inch of clearance at the vehicle outside edges. They are trick!

Looks as though we both intend to use out F-Paces for recreation with our gear attached!

I intend to ski a week in Telluride this winter, maybe we could share a few turns!

FYI: One issue, the steps will retract with you are on them unless you keep a door open on the side you're stepping on or put on the parking brake. While removing the dealer installed ski-rack/crossbar, I had to quickly jump off when I heard the retraction motors start-up. My sandals almost got sucked under the car! No foot damage, but...

BTW: BRG looks just fine! Very traditional.

Attachments

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
VZX-CO: Sorry to hear of your issues with the retractable side steps. It may be of little solace to you that I've had no issues with them at all (except the FYI below) . My wife didn't like stepping over my often grimed-up non-retractables on my MDX, so this seems a great, if expensive solution. Shots of the steps retracted are attached. The black of the side steps just make them disappear once retracted. You maybe lose an inch of clearance at the vehicle outside edges. They are trick!

Looks as though we both intend to use out F-Paces for recreation with our gear attached!

I intend to ski a week in Telluride this winter, maybe we could share a few turns!

FYI: One issue, the steps will retract with you are on them unless you keep a door open on the side you're stepping on or put on the parking brake. While removing the dealer installed ski-rack/crossbar, I had to quickly jump off when I heard the retraction motors start-up. My sandals almost got sucked under the car! No foot damage, but...

GORGEOUS RIDE ! I can't believe the steps are ON the vehicle in these pics ! That is AWESOME ! I might have to tell the wife to get out the CheckBook ! :)

Reactions: NVDesertrat

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey VZX- just saw the video. It's awesome. Maybe we will plan a long road trip to CO next summer!
Thanks! Be sure to include Utah, or at least eastern Utah in your trip. There's a great road, seen in background of a couple of my video pics, between Moab and Telluride that is, shall we say, well suited to testing F Pace's open road capabilities.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wow, great pics. I didn't realize they retracted that completely. I think issue is minor and could have been fixed quickly this week if I didn't already have a trip planned.

Thanks for tip on retracting. Didn't Weeb teach us all DO NOT WEAR SANDALS while learning your F-Pace's behavior? ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I saw WEEB's foot. Maybe Jag needs a "SANDALS PROHIBITED" weenie lawyer sticker on the visor and start-up screen for the ICTPro. Well, I've never really been a slave to fashion nor exhibited a lot of common sense. You cannot tell the steps are there without the tip-off of the required (justly) mud flaps and then much closer inspection.

·
Registered
132 Posts
... the steps will retract with you are on them unless you keep a door open on the side you're stepping on or put on the parking brake. While removing the dealer installed ski-rack/crossbar, I had to quickly jump off when I heard the retraction motors start-up. My sandals almost got sucked under the car! No foot damage, but..
According to the Jag Accessories website you can prevent the side steps from retracting when you close the door so check with your dealer for how to stop them.

"The side steps are sensitive to obstructions. Automatic mode can be overridden to allow access to the roof when the doors are closed."
Jaguar USA Accessories Online Catalogue. - F-PACE - EXTERIOR - EXTERIOR STYLING - Deployable Side Steps Kit

Question though - What did they cost you? I had heard it was $1,300 and I also notice that the accessory site above lists the kit as .... drumroll please.... $3,474 PLUS installation so make it an even $5K perhaps?

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deployable side steps were $3,000 even'ish before tax for parts. I can't find my labor charge but somehow I think around $400. I got part of all this back on a later purchase because my dealer had a 10% off special on accessories and retroactively applied it. also don't forget required mud flaps.

So badas* when they deploy and retract which mine finally do after they went back through and re-PDI'd my vehicle from scratch.

side note, with my bike rack on top i've found side steps essential to futzing with rack and bikes and i think same will be true for skis and snowboards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
According to the Jag Accessories website you can prevent the side steps from retracting when you close the door so check with your dealer for how to stop them.

"The side steps are sensitive to obstructions. Automatic mode can be overridden to allow access to the roof when the doors are closed."
Jaguar USA Accessories Online Catalogue. - F-PACE - EXTERIOR - EXTERIOR STYLING - Deployable Side Steps Kit

Question though - What did they cost you? I had heard it was $1,300 and I also notice that the accessory site above lists the kit as .... drumroll please.... $3,474 PLUS installation so make it an even $5K perhaps?
Good guess..My bill was $4,941.68 including front mud-flaps. Still, I like 'em!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Deployable side steps were $3,000 even'ish before tax for parts. I can't find my labor charge but somehow I think around $400. I got part of all this back on a later purchase because my dealer had a 10% off special on accessories and retroactively applied it. also don't forget required mud flaps.

So badas* when they deploy and retract which mine finally do after they went back through and re-PDI'd my vehicle from scratch.

side note, with my bike rack on top i've found side steps essential to futzing with rack and bikes and i think same will be true for skis and snowboards.
Need more video

1 - 20 of 37 Posts