Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, F-pacers. I am going to tint my F-Pace all around. Here are few questions I would like to be clear before I let the tint guy touch her.

1.Can we put tint film on Heated windows? (both front windshield and rear window has a very thin web of tungsten wire on them for defrost). The user manual says do not tag inside of rear window.

2.Can we tint sunroof? (I heard sunroof may crack due to tint except it's tempered glass)

3.Carbon VS. Ceramic tint?

Thank you very much sharing ur valuable knowledge on this.;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
did some F- Pace come sans tint or are y'all wanting darker tint?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where did you hear about the sunroof cracking??
If u google it, bunch of results there.
eg. "I'm told that a tinted sunroof does not properly allow the heat to transfer back out. With the shade pulled closed, the heat from the sun travels down through the glass, hits the shade and is normally reflected back out...to some degree at least. But with a layer of tint in place, the heat is trapped, thus causing the glass to crack/break."

·
Registered
225 Posts
Heard about the possibility of cracked glass on tinted sunroofs, but it's an extreme case I believe (even mentioned in the Audi forums).

As for the rest...my rear window is tinted and I have had no issues (dealer did the tint install too). I wouldn't really tint the front unless you are referring to a shade bar at the top, which should be ok.

And carbon v ceramic - up to you and your preference and price point.

Reactions: richard

·
Registered
575 Posts
If anything, why not tint the sunroof with clear UV tint to minimize the chance of it cracking. At least it will block the sun's rays from cooking your interior.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
From what I've seen on this topic, there has been no evidence to prove that tinting the sunroof had anything to do with examples that cracked. It's not uncommon for glass to have defects, and until REAL data is released, everyone should go about their merry way assuming that they can tint whatever glass they'd like.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
From what I've seen on this topic, there has been no evidence to prove that tinting the sunroof had anything to do with examples that cracked. It's not uncommon for glass to have defects, and until REAL data is released, everyone should go about their merry way assuming that they can tint whatever glass they'd like.
Let me guess . . . . . YOU own a *Tint Shop* ??? >:)

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
536 Posts
Heard about the possibility of cracked glass on tinted sunroofs, but it's an extreme case I believe (even mentioned in the Audi forums).

As for the rest...my rear window is tinted and I have had no issues (dealer did the tint install too). I wouldn't really tint the front unless you are referring to a shade bar at the top, which should be ok.

And carbon v ceramic - up to you and your preference and price point.
I tinted my front windshield. Helps keep some heat out but mainly to block the UV's.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Let me guess . . . . . YOU own a *Tint Shop* ???
Nope, just tired of unsubstantiated claims.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I tinted my front windshield. Helps keep some heat out but mainly to block the UV's.

Doesn't tinting the front windshield impede driving at night??
Most states, if they allow you to tint your windshield at all, allow only a "clear" tint. Clear is likely subjective, but ours is something like 80%. Still get the UV reduction and ours even at 80% light allowance drops the heat by about 40%. No negative impact to night driving.

Actually, they say the tint on the front windshield can help reduce glare at night.

·
Registered
517 Posts
FWIW, my Audi's sunroof exploded and I had NO tint done. If you read the Audi recalls it sounds more like defective glass, although Audi sure tried to blame it on everything from cold temps to people slamming the doors too hard.

BTW, while no sharp shards pierced my skull, that tempered glass did shatter into small pea sized bits that went everywhere.

So I agree with JWreck, claims that tinting causes this is speculation at best.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
FWIW, my Audi's sunroof exploded and I had NO tint done. If you read the Audi recalls it sounds more like defective glass, although Audi sure tried to blame it on everything from cold temps to people slamming the doors too hard.

BTW, while no sharp shards pierced my skull, that tempered glass did shatter into small pea sized bits that went everywhere.

So I agree with JWreck, claims that tinting causes this is speculation at best.
Thanks for adding to my point. I may have seen you post about that on Audizine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most states, if they allow you to tint your windshield at all, allow only a "clear" tint. Clear is likely subjective, but ours is something like 80%. Still get the UV reduction and ours even at 80% light allowance drops the heat by about 40%. No negative impact to night driving.

Actually, they say the tint on the front windshield can help reduce glare at night.
Most states allow tinting of all windows for patients with certain eye ailments. You will need appropriate documentation from your eye professional.

Reactions: JWreck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, it doesn't affect night driving because of the clarity. The only issue is wearing polarized glasses in the sun sometimes you can see rainbows.
I do see rainbows on my OEM windshield. LOL Means the OEM glass is polarized already?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts