Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer offered a lifetime replacement on the rims so I took them up on it because the wife can't seem to avoid the curb. Noticed a pretty bad scrape along the out edge of the right rear wheel, of course no one knows how it happened. I wondered if anyone else has had to replace a wheel and what the process involves in terms of filing the claim?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The dealer offered a lifetime replacement on the rims so I took them up on it because the wife can't seem to avoid the curb. Noticed a pretty bad scrape along the out edge of the right rear wheel, of course no one knows how it happened. I wondered if anyone else has had to replace a wheel and what the process involves in terms of filing the claim?
They never replace the rim because of curb rash. They will usually sand it down and repaint it, you won't even be able to tell what happened. I have a few on my rear wheels because I sometimes misjudge the wheelbase length of this car and cut the corner a bit to close and BOOM, curb rash. Its happened three times and every time I nearly cry because I hate when anything looks messed up on my car.

Any who, if you have the wheel and tire protection package (what you have sounds similar) your dealer should repair it no questions asked. If you don't it usually costs anywhere from $80-200 dollars depending on how bad it is and how many scrapes there are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They never replace the rim because of curb rash. They will usually sand it down and repaint it, you won't even be able to tell what happened. I have a few on my rear wheels because I sometimes misjudge the wheelbase length of this car and cut the corner a bit to close and BOOM, curb rash. Its happened three times and every time I nearly cry because I hate when anything looks messed up on my car.

Any who, if you have the wheel and tire protection package (what you have sounds similar) your dealer should repair it no questions asked. If you don't it usually costs anywhere from $80-200 dollars depending on how bad it is and how many scrapes there are.
Okay thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Diamond Turned Wheels have to be CNC machined, which is a little more involved than standard alloy repair, but cost around $140-$180 here in Georgia. A friend had his done and can't distinguish from new.

·
Registered
575 Posts
And take the keys away from your wife...or get curb feelers :crying:

·
Registered
123 Posts
No need to replace. Go to your dealer. $150 bucks a wheel. I had two re-done.
My dealer recommended Rim Wheel protectors that would mask the damaged rims. I declined since my lease is up in 3 months and they could not guarantee that I would not get dinged upon inspection for damaged rims. I think that with low profile tires you are bound to get one or two rims damaged, especially in snow country. I think the base price for 4 rims is 140$. They have flashy colors and others that would closely match the rim or black tires from what I see on their web site.

Has anyone installed them prior to getting rims damaged?

Here is a US based vendor: Alloy Rim Wheel Protection - RIM RINGZ

·
Registered
48 Posts

Hi Steve,

Shawn, the finance manager at the JLR dealership had told me that with the money and time I had spend special ordering the rims and wheels, I should really consider the EasyCare repair insurance. I'm glad I did. I've had to make -2- claims in the past 2 weeks for rim damage. The claims were called in to 855-775-6460 and handled immediately by the reps at EasyCare. The problem was finding someone around town to do the cosmetic work. I have the 22" Turbine 9-spoke Grey Diamond turned finish rims and the body shop I usually go through did not have the equipment to rebalance 22" wheels. They also were not sure how to do cosmetic repairs on these 2 tone rims. **** at the JLR dealership got a hold of someone outside of town who came in today and refinished/painted the rims. In addition to the cosmetic rim work there were 3 recall issue that were worked on. In addition to that, they replaced/installed updated splash guards free of charge. Had issues with proper fitment of original ones, and the newer guards come with more chips for a tighter fit. Looking forward to getting my S back in the morning.

The dealership loaned me a red '17 XE for the past 3 days. It's the kind of car you'd buy your daughter to send off to college. Sweet ride, but very basic and rides nothing like the FP. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi Steve,

Shawn, the finance manager at the JLR dealership had told me that with the money and time I had spend special ordering the rims and wheels, I should really consider the EasyCare repair insurance. I'm glad I did. I've had to make -2- claims in the past 2 weeks for rim damage. The claims were called in to 855-775-6460 and handled immediately by the reps at EasyCare. The problem was finding someone around town to do the cosmetic work. I have the 22" Turbine 9-spoke Grey Diamond turned finish rims and the body shop I usually go through did not have the equipment to rebalance 22" wheels. They also were not sure how to do cosmetic repairs on these 2 tone rims. **** at the JLR dealership got a hold of someone outside of town who came in today and refinished/painted the rims. In addition to the cosmetic rim work there were 3 recall issue that were worked on. In addition to that, they replaced/installed updated splash guards free of charge. Had issues with proper fitment of original ones, and the newer guards come with more chips for a tighter fit. Looking forward to getting my S back in the morning.

The dealership loaned me a red '17 XE for the past 3 days. It's the kind of car you'd buy your daughter to send off to college. Sweet ride, but very basic and rides nothing like the FP. ;)
You shouldn't have to wait three days for rim repair or shop around to find someone who can repair 22 inch wheels. I took my car with two damaged rims to the dealer in the morning and got it back in the afternoon, both wheels looking like they were brand new. My dealer has a "rim guy."

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You shouldn't have to wait three days for rim repair or shop around to find someone who can repair 22 inch wheels. I took my car with two damaged rims to the dealer in the morning and got it back in the afternoon, both wheels looking like they were brand new. My dealer has a "rim guy."
I think the three days had more to do with the three 'recalls' he had done as well. How much did you dealer charge to repair some curb rash?

·
Registered
48 Posts
How much was the EasyCare repair insurance?
Hi MGluck

$1709. for 5 year coverage. That includes:

1)Coverage for pdr dings and dents. No limitations to the number of pdr repairs.

2)Windshield chip/crack repair. No limitations to number of repairs.

3)Key/fob replacement. Up to 2 replaced/programmed as well as 24-7 roadside assist/home lock out assist.

4)Road hazard tire/wheel. Wheels replaced due to road damage.

5)Cosmetic wheel repair. No limitations to number of repairs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the three days had more to do with the three 'recalls' he had done as well. How much did you dealer charge to repair some curb rash?
Hi Jman97,

Yes the additional time was for the recalls (spring assemblies both sides, configure existing powertrain control, replace eco/trac switch, reprogram Activity key, 2 additional recall items I can't decipher:)....plus those replaced new and improved splash guards :laugh: The EasyCare covered charge for the rim rash on the L rear and R front was $270.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi Jman97,

Yes the additional time was for the recalls (spring assemblies both sides, configure existing powertrain control, replace eco/trac switch, reprogram Activity key, 2 additional recall items I can't decipher:)....plus those replaced new and improved splash guards :laugh: The EasyCare covered charge for the rim rash on the L rear and R front was $270.
270 each, or all together? Thats not bad if its for both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When we get the F-Pace the wheel and tire protection package is a must. The wife has gouged the facq out of all four wheels on her Touareg. With the longer snout of the Jaguar it maybe harder for her to see corners. Are the aluminum body panels more susceptible to door dings? Would the body side moldings help prevent them?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
When we get the F-Pace the wheel and tire protection package is a must. The wife has gouged the facq out of all four wheels on her Touareg. With the longer snout of the Jaguar it maybe harder for her to see corners. Are the aluminum body panels more susceptible to door dings? Would the body side moldings help prevent them?
The F-paces doors, especially the rears are large. Remind me of a coupe kind of. I would say the upper/middle part of the doors would be the first place that would get dinged if someone were to open there door into yours. I am pretty sure most manufacturers use some sort of light weight material for the doors so I don't think the Jags are gonna be any more or less susceptible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
270 each, or all together? Thats not bad if its for both.
For both. Never curbed a rim b4. These 22's are pretty easy to mess up. Glad I've got that insurance.

Reactions: Jman97
1 - 17 of 17 Posts