Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone ever try out Run Flat Tires on Fpace or is it worth considering.

Run Flat Tires eliminate the possibility of a flat tire thus saving the need to carry a spare tire. This will also reduce the extra load and have more storage space in the trunk.

Looking forward to some comments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Never tried on Fpace but have on other car. Hated them. Horrible ride. For the type of driving I do they make no sense.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Wonder if anyone ever try out Run Flat Tires on Fpace or is it worth considering.

Run Flat Tires eliminate the possibility of a flat tire thus saving the need to carry a spare tire. This will also reduce the extra load and have more storage space in the trunk.

Looking forward to some comments
You may gain more storage space in the back, but is it usable space, particularly if you have a cargo mat.
Not worth the expense and effort IMHO. Four run flats could get expensive, particularly if you have 22".

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have never had run flats, but have only heard back things about them. Because of that, if it were me, I would avoid them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Run Flat Tires eliminate the possibility of a flat tire thus
You still get flats on a run flat. They are just made to hold up for a short distance to save your rim - for maybe 50 miles only. Once you have a flat, they cannot be repaired.

Reactions: JWreck

·
Registered
188 Posts
If run-flats were really as bad as everyone has said, no one would buy them and they would have gone away a long time ago.

It is really a personal decision. If you value convenience over ride and performance, they may be just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife has run flats on her BMW. I hate them. They ride pretty hard and don't hold air very well. My mom has the same car and same tires and they don't hold air as well. But, what I hate most about them is that a puncture can not be patched, even if its a simple nail in the middle of the tread. Any puncture and you have to buy a new tire and run flats are not cheap.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
My wife has run flats on her BMW. I hate them. They ride pretty hard and don't hold air very well. My mom has the same car and same tires and they don't hold air as well. But, what I hate most about them is that a puncture can not be patched, even if its a simple nail in the middle of the tread. Any puncture and you have to buy a new tire and run flats are not cheap.
Ditto for me, my wife's BMW 428 has them and I don't like the ride very much and since I test drove a similar car with normal tires I know it is the run flats.

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Once you have a flat, they cannot be repaired.
They ride pretty hard and don't hold air very well. My mom has the same car and same tires and they don't hold air as well. But, what I hate most about them is that a puncture can not be patched, even if its a simple nail in the middle of the tread. Any puncture and you have to buy a new tire and run flats are not cheap.
Like any other tire if the side wall is punctured they cannot be repaired but if the puncture is on the tread (bottom of tire) they can be repaired.

All standard Corvettes come with run flats and handle and ride better the 22's on the FP.

My Corvette had a puncture on the bottom of the tire (tread). I drove it home about 30 miles at about 55 MPH took the tire off an brought it to my tire shop and they fixed it. That was 3 years ago and no problems since.

My tires do not loose pressure. I check them usually twice a season and have no issues. The TPMS would tell me if there was an issue. You might have a bad valve stem, bent or cracked rim but it's not the tire unless the tire is starting to dry rot from not being used.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Only a few are rated to be fixable. Many shops will not touch run flats.

Interesting that BMW puts them on all of their vehicles - except the M cars.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had run flats on a BMW X3. Did not like them at all. They do not wear well. If your alignment is out slightly you will soon know it. The X3 was leased so I had to buy new tires when the lease expired, no question. Low mileage. One of the reasons I would never lease another BMW. I think run flats are a cost center for BMW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Run Flats have their uses. But the low tread wear/high cost is enough to not want to use them. They tend to be harder ride, especially if your suspension is set up for a more sporty ride. Most shops if not all will not patch them. If you live in an area with pot holes (Houston for me) They can separate which deems them useless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm living on the mountain top in Vancouver. I experienced flat tyre for 2 times in the last winter. And I felt so lucky that I could keep driving home with the run flat tyres under the snowing weather, especially on the slope with snow and ice,and it's 11:30 in the night time.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Most people are switching out runflats for conventional tires, not too many owners switching conventional to runflats. Runflats are more expensive, does not wear as well, hard to repair, handles differently from conventional tires, more prone to road damage and rides stiffer. The advantage is overall weight savings but some of that weight does into unsprung weight due to the heavier runflat tires, which is the worst kind of weight as far as performance is concerned.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
just had to replace two run flats on my Wife's BMW due to bubbles in the inside of the front tires after only 12k miles on the car. Almost told them to swap them all for normal tires, but she's only got another 12 months on the lease and while we will get another BMW Convertible for her next year, I'm going to tell them we don't want the run flats. She doesn't drive the car enough to begin with, if she gets a flat she's probably calling me or triple AAA and I can bring a spare with me!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Customers

BMW has such loyal customers and cheer-leaders, its as though they can do no wrong. Any friends that I know with having or had beemers, disliked them immensely. Primarily for the cost issue. Personally, I wouldn't own a BMW, for a lot of other reasons.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree, there are many out there that drinks the BMW Kool Aid. We had 4 BMW in the last 10 years or so between my wife and I, while they are nice driving car but there are other brands out there that drives just as sporty. If we go back 20 or 30 years ago, before BMW when soft, the average non M car drove as sporty as today's M cars.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
BMW has such loyal customers and cheer-leaders, its as though they can do no wrong. Any friends that I know with having or had beemers, disliked them immensely. Primarily for the cost issue. Personally, I wouldn't own a BMW, for a lot of other reasons.
KingFala, I tend to agree with you on BMW for the most part, however, when looking for a 4 seat good looking hard top convertible with AWD, there aren't many options. The 4 Series Convertible fit that need perfectly and we've been really happy with it other than the tires. My wife loves her 428, so we will be getting another 4XX convertible next year. I would prefer to get the 6 cylinder in her next one, with the M Package and I will also tell them to keep the run flats and put normal tires on the thing!

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,418 Posts
Is this thread about BMW cars or run flat tires.? I’m not sure so I will respond to both

I had Goodyear GSC run flats and they work however the was they work is by having a very stiff sidewall and it has a hard rubber rim embedded by the mounting area. Usally these tires are found on cars that don’t have room for a spare or are higher performance tires. Since the side wall is so stiff the ride can be harsh and in very cold weather you can get some low air. Usally most of the wheels these tires are on are aluminum so they shrink and cause leaks nitrogen helps with that and also the stiffness of the tire will show wear faster is your car is our of alinement. If I felt I needed a true run flat I would get the wheel inserts that go around fhe rim and even when your tires are in shreds you can still drive away.

The new BMW 5M is a beast of a car with high tech features. 0-60 3.2 seconds. With the remote you can stand outside of your car and back it out of a parking space. You can use hand gestures to control the infotainment system it even has night vision to see in the dark. Plus it comes with run flat tires.

DP

·
Registered
265 Posts
I Confused Myself

Sorry, when I said my friends didn't like them, I meant they didn't like the tires. Cost issue. I didn't mean they didn't like the cars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts