Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow is my cutoff date for changes to my 2018 order. Am I missing the boat by not ordering roof rails? Do the black rails really stand out? I think I saw some at the dealer and felt they didn't look great. The only thing I might use them for in the future is a ski rack (have a hitch rack for my bikes), but we typically take my wife's Armada skiing. Maybe I'll drive by the dealership tomorrow to see some in person. I don't think I want silver and the entire car is black and white.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I don't think I want silver and the entire car is black and white.
My Roof rails are Gloss Black , just like all the other Trim Pieces ! IMO , I think the Roof Rails actually HIDE themselves from your eyes , as they are form fitting to the Roof Line ! Plus , it sounds like they are a MAJOR *EXPENSE* and HEADACHE to add later ! Now I hear people saying that they actually have to remove the Interior Headliner , just to install ! :eek:

Checkout this photo , and see what you think ! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pic. I can't seem to find any roof racks that fit the F-Pace. Thule and Yakima sites don't list anything. Do you have to use the Jaguar racks?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I can't seem to find any roof racks that fit the F-Pace. Thule and Yakima sites don't list anything. Do you have to use the Jaguar racks?
There are a few members that use a Thule rack that works perfectly on the F-Pace versus the Jag one. I'm sure someone will be in shortly to point you along. Might try a forum search to see what you find.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Tomorrow is my cutoff date for changes to my 2018 order. Am I missing the boat by not ordering roof rails? Do the black rails really stand out? I think I saw some at the dealer and felt they didn't look great. The only thing I might use them for in the future is a ski rack (have a hitch rack for my bikes), but we typically take my wife's Armada skiing. Maybe I'll drive by the dealership tomorrow to see some in person. I don't think I want silver and the entire car is black and white.
GET THE ROOF RAILS. cheap now, heinously $$$$ afterwards. If not for you then for resale. I have Jaguar crossbars but then can use many Thule accessories on them. Did I say, get the roof rails?

·
Registered
245 Posts
They're cheap enough to make em a no brainier unless you hate the looks. In the US resale value doesn't change either way. You get a little bump when configuring on kkb and the like but it doesn't translate out to actual money at trade or private sale.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Re: resale, not for monetary value but for convenience of next owner, I know I wouldn't by a used suv that couldn't have a roof rack

Reactions: theweeb

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I debated and debated but in the end I really don't like the look of the black rails against the white car. If I had a dark color I don't think it would really make a difference. My change date passed yesterday and I'm going with no rails!!! There's a good chance I would never have used them anyway.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: resale, not for monetary value but for convenience of next owner, I know I wouldn't by a used suv that couldn't have a roof rack
You are an educated buyer, this separates you from the majority. Also factor in that in the US many have trucks or other more suitable beasts of burden. Combine those potential buyers with the many who have no need whatsoever and couldn't care less about the racks and you have plenty of buyers.

I tend to agree with you but if I didn't like the look and didn't need them I would not get them knowing I would save money at buy in and lose nothing at resale.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
i opted for no rails also. I like the clean look. Less suv and more really tall sportscar?
*SHOW OFF* !!! ;)
Looking Good My Friend !!! :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Save $350 on a $70K car? Remember, if you want to add them in the future, you're talking at least a grand. When I purchased my car, adding them later wasn't even an option. Even though I'll probably never have a use for them, I'd kick myself for not ordering them from the factory. Same thing with the hitch. $650 or $1500 after market. PS, I don't even notice either one, so the looks don't bother me.

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Save $350 on a $70K car? Remember, if you want to add them in the future, you're talking at least a grand. When I purchased my car, adding them later wasn't even an option. Even though I'll probably never have a use for them, I'd kick myself for not ordering them from the factory. Same thing with the hitch. $650 or $1500 after market. PS, I don't even notice either one, so the looks don't bother me.
It has nothing to do with the price. I didn't like the look of the black rails on the white car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They are cheap stuff from China. I have got one (same as the link in amazon) from AliExpress and it turns out to be different design and different way of mounting than the photo shown (I'm asking for full refund). And I know some of them (from eBay /amazon/ AliExpress) are just using 3M tape to stick to the roof. I can't imagine what happen if they get off when you are doing 60+ mph

·
Registered
40 Posts
They are cheap stuff from China. I have got one (same as the link in amazon) from AliExpress and it turns out to be different design and different way of mounting than the photo shown (I'm asking for full refund). And I know some of them (from eBay /amazon/ AliExpress) are just using 3M tape to stick to the roof. I can't imagine what happen if they get off when you are doing 60+ mph
That's too bad. I'm sure it will be slightly different since it isn't OEM equipment.
Personal preference, I suppose. Nobody would make roof rails that attaches with 3M tape. I bought plenty of aftermarket trim for my last vehicle that attached with 3M automotive tape and most of it looked great and lasted 6 years without falling off. I received tons of compliments about it. I have even added some to my F-PACE and it looks as good as the stock trim inside the vehicle. I definitely wouldn't use it for a load bearing structure like roof rails though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's too bad. I'm sure it will be slightly different since it isn't OEM equipment.
Personal preference, I suppose. Nobody would make roof rails that attaches with 3M tape. I bought plenty of aftermarket trim for my last vehicle that attached with 3M automotive tape and most of it looked great and lasted 6 years without falling off. I received tons of compliments about it. I have even added some to my F-PACE and it looks as good as the stock trim inside the vehicle. I definitely wouldn't use it for a load bearing structure like roof rails though.
Yes, there are some really cheap options from China which use 3M tape to stick to the roof. Although it's for appearance purpose only but I think it's really a bad idea since the roof rails are made of aluminum and it's pretty heavy for 3M tape.

And the "OEM" style I got from AliExpress is just cheating. Their design is different (mounting method) and finishing is not good. Totally not as described. It requires making holes on the plastic stripe trims and reuse the trims. The OEM rails are direct replacement with the trims. I actually have no idea exactly how to install it since it has no installation instruction and the seller is a liar. He promised me it is 100% as described before I received the item and said I can get my money back if it was not the same. But now he refused to refund and wasted me tons of time to listen his nonsense and excuses that he thinks his product is better than OEM design so I will not get my refund. To me, it's a rubbish. I bought a lots of stuff from China and most of them are OK, but this time really is an unhappy experience.

I finally got the genuine parts and installed it. Will share some details on another thread later.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts