Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you whose second vehicle is a bicycle, did you go with a roof rack or tow package, and why? Since I apparently have weeks to twiddle my thumbs and rethink my original build before I can officially place my order, I am re-thinking how to carry my bikes. Pros and cons for roof mount vs. tow hitch?

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I like the look of rack and bike on roof. It's fairly easy to get a bike on and off though I appreciate my side steps at times. I don't have to worry about storing a bike rack. However I live in a condo building and it's a total pain getting bike to building garage entry, pulling out on to street and putting bike on car. Same in reverse when I return. I'm tempted to get a rear rack but think it will be just as much hassle and worry about backing into someone.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pros and cons for roof mount vs. tow hitch?
I'm getting both setups. Currently using a roof rack on my VW wagon, and it affects gas mileage more than a hitch mount would. On the plus side the VW roof is lower than the F-Pace and it is fairly easy to reach the bikes.
Will be using a Kuat Sherpa hitch mount (2 bikes, 30 lb rack which is much lighter than most) and roof racks if I've got a trailer attached. My existing Whispbar bike carriers will fit the Jag roof rack.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine goes on the roof. Since I got a ticket in my Jetta for having license plate obscured, I'm not going to mess around with that again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a tow hitch fan but that came from driving an Xterra that was 6'6" without a rack on top. Getting a bike on that would have been a second workout. The FP is a much more manageable height.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Get both. They are not that expensive, under 1000. That way you have the flexibility.
I second this opinion. It's way cheaper to install both at the ordering time vs. installing it after the fact. Also I don't think dealer cannot even install roof rails if they are not installed by factory.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went tow, given the large glass roof, did not want to risk brakage. I also have a hitch ski rack same reason.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I watched the Jaguar video that pops up in the accessories web site and it reminded me that another ad tangle of tow is it leaves room for equipment box on top though could possibly squeeze racks and box if one had to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went with the tow pack only - it is very well hidden and I prefer the lines of the car without the roof rails on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get both. They are not that expensive, under 1000. That way you have the flexibility.
This.

The roof rails are discreet and enhance the lines of the car.

We use an older Thule hitch-mounted rack for our bikes

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm a tow hitch fan but that came from driving an Xterra that was 6'6" without a rack on top. Getting a bike on that would have been a second workout. The FP is a much more manageable height.
+1. Having washed my car several times, I'm glad I don't have to haul my bikes up onto the roof. There is also possible paint and panel damage if you, or someone else, doesn't happen to lift the bike up properly.
Being one of the geezers in the group, I much prefer loading onto my hitch mounted rack:)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks all, great feedback. This is the one aspect of my Honda Element that I have missed since I passed it on to my youngest and got the A3. I could put four bikes inside by staggering the fork mounts, and the lower half of the clamshell style hatch made a perfect place to sit while changing shoes, etc.

No doubt though that the F-Pace will erase any fond memories of that old rolling box - now if I could just get it ordered!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Thanks all, great feedback. This is the one aspect of my Honda Element that I have missed since I passed it on to my youngest and got the A3. I could put four bikes inside by staggering the fork mounts, and the lower half of the clamshell style hatch made a perfect place to sit while changing shoes, etc.

No doubt though that the F-Pace will erase any fond memories of that old rolling box - now if I could just get it ordered!
Being the *Observant* one around here , I must say that YOU (Turbodog) , better be built like a Body Builder , if you expect to get that *Bike of Yours* with that *Drum Set* mounted on it , "Up On The Roof" !!! >:)
Just a thought !!! ;)

P.S. If you do accomplish this task , please post pics !!! :)

Reactions: Turbodog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does tow package add a lot of weight to the car?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I will go with my Thule Rack hanging off the rear with the tow package from Invisihitch once they make one for the S model. From talking with them hopefully that will be soon.

I mountain bike and my bikes are a bit heavy 27 to 37 lbs. Lifting them onto the roof, while not overly difficult is just asking for trouble. I'm just scared that at some point one of my bikes will slip out of my hands and I'll be replacing the moonroof!

Thule dual or quad carrier is perfect for the rear of the car, easy to load, can still use the hatch by tilting it, and you get no wind noise from the bike and rack being on the roof which to me is very important.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I went with both systems. And I like how the Yakima comes in red with a bottle opener lol.
Good Grief *Big-K* , that looks like a Modern Day *Brady Bunch* !!! ;)

Well , that is assuming *Mister Brady* got a pretty nice *PAY RAI$E* !!! >:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went with both systems. And I like how the Yakima comes in red with a bottle opener lol.
Great set-up! After all, it is a SUV. Some jurisdictions will ding you for "Obscured License", so add the plate bracket option.

The Yakima receiver on the bike rack looks like will accept another accessory like a Tag bracket. Go Dude!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts