Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - has anyone successfully completed a main battery replacement themselves and can advise best approach, things to avoid? My dealer wants £450 to replace the battery!!

I did this on my XF and had to go through some strange routines to reset window recoils etc but can't find any info on F-Pace battery replacement (apart from "must be done by dealer...").

I could use an OBD memory saver but even those now have people telling you they can blow fuses and breaks systems that are supposed to shutdown when a battery is disconnected! Seems like something that used to be so simple is now a potential nightmare!

Many thanks for any info/advice

·
Administrator
1,921 Posts
Put a portable battery charger across the battery cables then remove and replace the battery. It will not loose memory as long as voltage/amperage is sufficient.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,374 Posts
but can't find any info on F-Pace battery replacement (apart from "must be done by dealer...").

Seems like something that used to be so simple is now a potential nightmare!

The main issue is resetting the battery gateway module. There is a routine they involves driving the car for 15 min to get a average voltage some other things this is usually done by a dealer.

these cars a very complicated now with all the computers and modules. Maybe someone else can say if they have swapped a battery, I don’t recall anyone on here saying they have yet. Since the car comes with a 5yr warrant that covers the battery.

DP

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes , Mine went in for 2nd annual look over, they threw a tester on it and said it had some bad cells. Got a free replacement. With all the electronics on this thing. the battery is the very 1st thing to check if things start getting wonky... I doubt if I would try to change it on my own. Hard to believe they would warrant the battery for 5 years tho, I thought it was a consumable like tires and brakes, etc....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Might have been the easiest repair on the fpace I ever did. Just get a obd settings saver and used a jump pack to power it. Be careful when removing leads from actual battery not to ground them. Just put a sock over them. Take off brace. Take off black. Take off red. Remove battery and put new in - in reverse. Couldn’t be easier. Maybe took 10 mins. All settings retained. No issues.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My understanding is battery changeout requires another step to do it correctly.
You must register the new battery with the use of an OBD device.
Otherwise, the battery control module continues to charge what it believes to be a depleted battery at a higher rate to compensate. Obviously, this would not be good for a new battery.
Many, but not all OBD devices have this capability, as well as the dealership and repair shops.
Some say it will learn on its own after some driving, but when I change mine, I’ll do the BCM registration.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I forgot to mention I picked up a pair of Battery Tender 4.5 Amp battery maintainers at Costco.
I have an older one on my Corvette, and these new ones are more powerful and at a great price of $42.99 in the warehouse.
I use the front trunk charging posts in the F-Pace and my other 2 cars are direct to the batteries. They extend the life of the batteries, but more importantly with the F-Pace, a degraded or dead battery can cause all kinds of electrical glitches. Cheap insurance in my mind.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
And a good tender such as a CTEK can actually rejuvenate some batteries. I use them on both of my jags that sit 6 months at a time, and they work perfectly with AGM batteries...

·
Registered
F-Pace 25t Prestige
2 Posts
Hi - has anyone successfully completed a main battery replacement themselves and can advise best approach, things to avoid? My dealer wants £450 to replace the battery!!

I did this on my XF and had to go through some strange routines to reset window recoils etc but can't find any info on F-Pace battery replacement (apart from "must be done by dealer...").

I could use an OBD memory saver but even those now have people telling you they can blow fuses and breaks systems that are supposed to shutdown when a battery is disconnected! Seems like something that used to be so simple is now a potential nightmare!

Hi, im from India, and my dealer has quoted me around 500£ for a new battery which is absolutely ridiculous!!
Batteries with similar specs cost about 200£!!
I am planning on doing it myself!!
will OBD be necessary if i am replacing the battery with the car turned on(engine on)?
kindly suggest!! thank you

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hello, at what point do you decide to use CETK?
Usually if the vehicle is going to sit for more than a month unused. It's important to keep these vehicles in tip top shape battery wise. Many ills that show up in the infotainment system or CEL lights can be traced to low battery voltage.

·
Registered
F-Pace 25t Prestige
2 Posts
Usually if the vehicle is going to sit for more than a month unused. It's important to keep these vehicles in tip top shape battery wise. Many ills that show up in the infotainment system or CEL lights can be traced to low battery voltage.
hi mine's a 2018 model and i use it about 3/4 times a week or about 150 kms a week, and from the past year and a half i am getting a low battery warning!! i have not faced any other battery or electric issues even though i get the warning!! do i need to change it? dealer said there is no point in charging it as the OEM warranty lasts only 3 years and new battery from OEM costs about 620$US!! plz suggest!! thank you

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dealer replaced my battery free at about 18 months of ownership as it tested with bad cells. They or you should do a load test on it. If it fails, it needs replaced.
A good quality battery should last more than 3 years. They should also test the charging system to see if it is up to par also.

·
Registered
F Pace 2018 Prestige 25D
13 Posts
I tell you my experience. More than a month ago my car warned of low battery, and asked to start the engine.We changed the battery and it gave the same warning. We replaced the original battery and so far it has not given any more low battery warnings.My car is 2018 and has few kilometers traveled.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's possible that you need a new battery. My MY17 F-Pace had its battery replaced under warranty last year, but I'm guessing you're not covered by the 5-year plan. In general, I'd suggest you get a CTEK unit with maintenance support (about $100 at Amazon). A good overnight charge might clear up the low battery warnings and extend the life of the battery. At a certain point, though, it's worth replacing the battery just to avoid the pain of dealing with it failing at some point.

At the same time I got my warranty battery last year, I also replaced the original battery on my MY14 F-Type - even though it had no bad symptoms. I changed it myself with a good Interstate battery from Costco for a little over $200. Other than being heavy, there's not much to installing a battery. And, if you don't want to do it yourself, check with your local auto parts store. Most will install a battery for free or little charge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just had the dealer change my battery (2018 R-Sport, 50,000 miles & 1 month shy of warranty expiration) - no charge. They determined that the Telematics unit is drawing power when it shouldn't, so now they're trying to get permission to replace it under warranty. WHEW! Sliding in just under the wire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts