Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section for this topic, but...

Let’s say I have a non-heated/non-HUD windshield and it’s cracked and needs to be replaced

Can I replace it with either a heated windshield and/or one with HUD?

If so, what other parts/components are needed? Would this be straightforward enough for the glass replacement company (eg, Safelite) to do, or is there any dealer configuration required?

·
Registered
63 Posts
There isn’t a special windshield for the HUD as far as I know, it’s just used as a reflector for a unit that’s built into the dashboard. I’m guessing you could potentially add the HUD with any windshield if you could get the parts and had someone to install it and possibly update software for it. Definitely not something safelite would do, since it’s basically taking apart your dash.

As far as the heated windshield, the main issue I see is how to control it. There’s a hard button you’d need on the center console area (near the hazard lights button 🔺) to turn it on/off, and then software to enable it to work with the remote start. Again, not something I think could be completed by safelite since it involves other vehicle modifications.
The heated windshield is a love/hate thing for me. It’s great for defrosting/defogging the windshield and such (haven’t used it for snow or ice yet), but it’s a bit annoying when driving into bright sunlight and/or when driving at night since the little wires running through it can cause little “flares” or rainbows around headlights or bright reflections. During usual daylight driving it’s virtually invisible and I don’t notice it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much - I need to check my console to see if that hard button is even there or not. I was assuming it was a matter of some sort of plug in module that’s hooked up when a new windshield is installed that connects it to power for heat.

But you’re right if it involves console changes (makes sense with HUD now that you mention it, then it’s likely a much bigger (ie $$) venture through the dealership

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you only have the button if you have the heated windshield. But maybe it’s blank on the others? Here’s a link to an article showing the button (it’s below the CD slot in my case, since I have the upgraded stereo) next to the rear defrost button, and how the lines in the windshield can sometimes be annoying. I’m sure some would be more sensitive to it than others.

As for the HUD, here’s a pic showing the extra hump between the instrument cluster cowl and the windshield. The HUD projector is under some clear plastic inside the large rectangular hole in the hump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah mine has the front defroster as a wider button in the spot where that takes up the same space as the 2 smaller buttons in the pic...

I had a heated windshield in my truck previously so I know what you mean with the lines - no problem for me, but doesn’t seem like it’s a straightforward swap...probably can be done, but I’d imagine a retrofit would be cost prohibitive.

Shame because just this morning I really could have used it. Hard frost all over the windshield - driveway seems to be in a bit of a dead zone so remote start doesn’t always work. Anyway, front defroster took forever and wiper fluid spray heads were frozen over so it was a good 15 mins before it warmed up enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts