Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time to wrap this black "piano" trim in my R-Sport, but I want to remove it to do it properly.

I'm assuming the pieces around the door handles just safely pop off with a plastic interior trim tool. But does anyone know if the center console pieces can be removed "easily"? It looks like the leather pieces on the sides of the center console just pry up as well, and my guess is they hide the screws or bolts hold that trim down.

I don't plan on doing the climate control surround, as that isn't likely to get scratched in everyday use...and it looks like a P.I.A to wrap anyway.

I suppose there is a way to do it CAREFULLY with the trim in the car, but it's best to wrap the vinyl under the trim pieces to prevent peeling.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a thing last night...

It turns out the pieces just clip in to each other, with the exception of 4 screws holding the side skirts onto the center console.

First you lift the leather lined pieces on each side of the console (start at the rear and then angle them out from where they meet the dash)
Pry up the "phone pad" under the climate control (just snaps in lightly)
Pry up the piece around the shifter
Then carefully insert a trim-removal tool under the main chunk of the center console trim and pry that up. You have to take the previously mentioned screws in order to allow the center console piece to come out from under the side skirts.

Unfortunately, Jag decided to use a "melty plastic" approach to securing the cup-holders, e-brake button, and all the metallic looking trim to the piano black sections. Taking them apart is not an option, so I need to get creative with the wrapping.

For now I just wrapped the shifter knob piece because it was late and it was easy. I think I will try to do the main areas of the center piece, but won't do the area around the cup holders or the driving mode selector area. No way to fold the wrap under it for a secure fit.

Then I'll do the trim around the door handles.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
My thoughts are that you are WAY braver than I am!!! :eek:

Kerry
Ditto - holy crapola. I don't think I'd be willing to essentially rip apart the center console!

Reactions: Dakar09

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Ok , Ok , Dakar09 !
You have Officially joined the *BIGGEST SET OF BOBBALONES* Club !!! >:)
*CONGRATULATIONS* on your Accomplishments !!! ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok , Ok , Dakar09 !
You have Officially joined the *BIGGEST SET OF BOBBALONES* Club !!! >:)
*CONGRATULATIONS* on your Accomplishments !!! ;)
What exactly does the certificate of acceptance to that club look like? I don't think I want to know. :eek:

Some background so you don't think I'm a raging lunatic: I've worked on cars since I was 16, and have gutted/rebuilt quite a few in that time. It's all a matter of knowing how the pieces fit together...and not forcing anything to come out. If it won't budge at all, you missed a fastener somewhere. Granted, doing this on a brand new 60K car is definitely "cheek clenching" :|

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished the center console wrapping this weekend.

But I can't figure out how to get the trim around the door handles off. There are 2 screws under a cover plate right by the front of the handle, but that doesn't loosen anything up and prying on it doesn't "feel write".

Does anybody have any insight into those pieces or have they had them swapped to a different style after they bought the car?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Finished the center console wrapping this weekend.

But I can't figure out how to get the trim around the door handles off. There are 2 screws under a cover plate right by the front of the handle, but that doesn't loosen anything up and prying on it doesn't "feel write".

Does anybody have any insight into those pieces or have they had them swapped to a different style after they bought the car?
DId you get that done yet?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am not handy and would never attempt any of this. When mine was new about a year ago, I had XPel applied to various exterior surfaces. My interior trim is piano black and I was concerned about scratches. In addition, I had the installer apply it to the centre console around the shift knob and the cup holder area. The extra cost was minimal. The installer did not remove any component to apply the Xpel but simply cut and formed as he want along. Perfect job, I defy anyone to tell that there is a protective film on these areas.

Vehicle is abut 1 year old and there are no marks, scratches or any other signs of deterioration on these areas.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DId you get that done yet?
Not yet. I haven't messed with it much over the last few weeks, but when I did try to get those pieces off they wouldn't budge. Based on how the rest of the interior is put together, they can't be fastened that securely. I'm missing something easy...

toronto, I remember reading about your Expel application. But I'm going for a different look vs. just protecting the interior. That's why I am not going that route.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me again...

It appears that the trim pieces around the door handles is actually part of the main door card and can't be removed separately. As a result, I have started wrapping these on the car. It's tricky, and I ran out of 3M wrap due to mistakes. I'll post some pics of what it looks like when I get the additional wrap.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There's no way I'd ever consider doing this on my car, but I love following what you are attempting! Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Me again...

It appears that the trim pieces around the door handles is actually part of the main door card and can't be removed separately. As a result, I have started wrapping these on the car. It's tricky, and I ran out of 3M wrap due to mistakes. I'll post some pics of what it looks like when I get the additional wrap.
/sadpanda

I would love to swap out my Fine Line Wood veneer for the Satin Ash Burl. Not a fan.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think it's time to wrap this black "piano" trim in my R-Sport, but I want to remove it to do it properly.

I'm assuming the pieces around the door handles just safely pop off with a plastic interior trim tool. But does anyone know if the center console pieces can be removed "easily"? It looks like the leather pieces on the sides of the center console just pry up as well, and my guess is they hide the screws or bolts hold that trim down.

I don't plan on doing the climate control surround, as that isn't likely to get scratched in everyday use...and it looks like a P.I.A to wrap anyway.

I suppose there is a way to do it CAREFULLY with the trim in the car, but it's best to wrap the vinyl under the trim pieces to prevent peeling.

Can you take off the shifter plate without having to take out the whole console and still get enough wrap on it to lock back in with edges secured?

If so, what tools did/would you use for that part?

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This shifter plate (around the knob) comes out by itself. You just have to pry up the little rubber pad where your phone goes ("under" the climate control module), then you lift that piece up by itself. I use plastic interior trim tools to remove these, as they are less likely to damage any of the surfaces. The rest of the center console is trickier to remove but it's not hard.

For wrapping, I ONLY use 3M vinyl products. Worth the extra cost. The only other things you need are a heat gun, a VERY sharp exacto knife (or something similarly dextrous), and a credit card. Wipe all pieces down with isopropyl alcohol and have at it! I've had to peel and re-apply a few pieces on this already, as it's pretty tricky.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
/sadpanda

I would love to swap out my Fine Line Wood veneer for the Satin Ash Burl. Not a fan.
I would love to have done a straight swap of these pieces, but I honestly think they are a "permanent" part of the door card. I'm sure you could release the adhesive they use to hold these pieces in and re-apply something to hold new trim pieces in place, but you'd also have to find the trim pieces from a supplier. I was unsuccessful in my early search attempts, and now I know why...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
This shifter plate (around the knob) comes out by itself. You just have to pry up the little rubber pad where your phone goes ("under" the climate control module), then you lift that piece up by itself. I use plastic interior trim tools to remove these, as they are less likely to damage any of the surfaces. The rest of the center console is trickier to remove but it's not hard.

For wrapping, I ONLY use 3M vinyl products. Worth the extra cost. The only other things you need are a heat gun, a VERY sharp exacto knife (or something similarly dextrous), and a credit card. Wipe all pieces down with isopropyl alcohol and have at it! I've had to peel and re-apply a few pieces on this already, as it's pretty tricky.
Everyone, in case you have the Ambient Lighting I want to give you a heads up. I don't know if Dakar does, but if so I think he would have mentioned something about it. I pulled my shifter plate and phone holder pieces out just a few moments ago after reading this thread again. I mostly did it to clean the gaps that are around the piece that fill with dust and anything that gets dropped in that area of the console. Those parts came off really easy using a plastic pry tool *note - I didn't have one, so I stole one of my wife's plastic spatulas which worked perfectly fine. Phone pad off, then center console piece around the shifter was easy but my center piece has the ambient lighting tube attached to it. so I couldn't pull it out all the way like Dakar did without doing more research on how that tube connects. Pulling it up though gave me the perfect access I needed to clean the tray around the ambient lighting tube and the center console piece which was why I did this in the first place. It was really easy with Dakar's directions.

Thanks Dakar!

Reactions: Dakar09

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great input, PA!! I don't have the ambient lighting, and didn't realize it ran through there. I'd hate for people to damage that if they tried to remove the center console!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I didn't have one, so I stole one of my wife's plastic spatulas which worked perfectly fine.
Note to self :
If PA-FPace-F brings a Cake made by his Wife to the next MEET & GREET . . . . . .
just smile , and say *No Thank You* !!!;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts