Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Check Engine Light came on and stayed on and so I made an appointment and dropped my F-Pace off for a diagnosis this morning. I've had my car for a little over two years (and had the factory two year complimentary service completed late last year) and am approaching 30,000 miles on the vehicle. I don't drive in particularly harsh conditions.

When checking the vehicle in with the SA, I was advised that I should take care of the following "recommended" service items while it was in and since I was close to 30K miles:
  • Rotate/balance tires (OK in theory, but my tires look fine)
  • Alignment (There's no evidence of uneven wear on my tires, in fact they look great)
  • Nitrogen in tires (I actually already have this... next?)
  • Mist treatment to clean out vents
  • Fuel injection service
  • Fuel induction service
  • 4x4 service
  • Coolant flush
for a grand total of $2400+. I declined them all.

As best I have been able to tell none of these are mentioned in the Jaguar recommended service schedule and they are not covered under the Passport to Service 5-year/60K maintenance program.

Am I crazy for thinking that these are just money-makers for the service department or are there any of these that are actually worthy of my consideration?
Any insights appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds like pretty standard up-sells you’ll get from most dealerships.
Curious what “4x4 service” is though

I’d be extra wary of paying for items that may be causing the check engine light like the fuel injectors, especially still under warranty.

·
F Pace Expert
2,626 Posts
check engine light might be O2 sensor which have failed for some of us and are warranty item. agree that sounds like an up sell by dealer on other stuff, nitrogen in tires is tip off on up sell.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A complete and 100% money grab.. SA's prey on uninformed or gullible consumers telling them their vehicle "needs" this... and a fair share of people just say "UH,OK"
I don't know how they can do it with a straight face or sleep at night....
Other brands are no different....

Read your manual, understand what's needed when, do your self when possible, and only go back if the item or issue is under warranty. After 5/60 is over, acquaint yourself with a good local independent mechanic, or just sell or trade and move on to new coverage on a newer vehicle...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would recommend asking your SA the same questions you are inquiring about on this forum. Get to know the SA. Establish a relationship involving trust. Not all SA are simply in it for the commission. It depends on dealership management philosophy. My SA and I have a great relationship and he tells me straight up what he would recommend and what he feels are optional or a waste of money.

My son is a service department manager for another large automaker and he instills this philosophy into all of his SA. His department has consistently been in the top of sales for his region.

If you try this approach and still feel like your being used, it's time to look for another dealership or trade in and move on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Getting all that done as a precautionary measure, for $2400, might be a good idea - at the 120,00 mile mark!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would recommend asking your SA the same questions you are inquiring about on this forum.
Actually I did question all of these in the context of them being on top of the 5Y/60K covered maintenance, and he told me that the covered maintenance was just for the very basic minimum requirements. Sitting at his desk I wasn't in a position to fact check and determine if we were building a relationship of trust, or not, and told him I needed more time to think about it and check what was really needed. This ended up being a 30-minute check-in process and my wife was sitting waiting outside for me, so the whole thing was a bit of a debacle from my perspective.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It takes time. But if you feel like your not important or worth their time, it's time to move on.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You should have a “passport to service” booklet that outlines exactly what service items are required. If you don’t have it, you can find it online. That’s what you should do at your next service and it’s all covered under the warranty. No more. Your service advisor is trying to inflate his billing numbers at your expense. None of that stuff is necessary.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It takes time. But if you feel like your not important or worth their time, it's time to move on.
These guys are so busy at my dealership its hard to get them to even discuss PROBLEMS you are having, let alone a wish list...I email my SA weeks before I bring it in and detail out all my concerns so issues are in writing and acknowledged before the vehicle ever gets there for annual maintenance. They still may not cover them, but at least I have a record of requests to bounce off the invoice when the car is returned. The only "Office" I've ever sat in a dealership at length, is the finance office !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually I did question all of these in the context of them being on top of the 5Y/60K covered maintenance, and he told me that the covered maintenance was just for the very basic minimum requirements. Sitting at his desk I wasn't in a position to fact check and determine if we were building a relationship of trust, or not, and told him I needed more time to think about it and check what was really needed. This ended up being a 30-minute check-in process and my wife was sitting waiting outside for me, so the whole thing was a bit of a debacle from my perspective.
Honestly, I don't understand how so many dealers can still get away with this crap! And it isn't Jag dealers - it's just some percentage of bad dealers in general. In my (too many) years of experience, I've probably found 1 'decent' dealer for every 1 'dodgy' dealer - and I guess it must depend on how much of the SA compensation comes from booked business. When I find one I don't like, I just move to the next while under warranty - I want to build the relationship with them BEFORE I need to start paying for the work!

The proper response to his '.... basic minimum ...' is that the manufacturer has stated, quite unequivocally, that the covered maintenance is all that should be required for the vehicle; anything outside of that is either tagged under 'wear and tear', or otherwise it should not need attention (and would be covered under maintenance/or warranty if faulty). So, everything after the (subjective) tire work is just him trying to make extra money; you don't appreciate it, and you are in a hurry so please just sort out my check engine light.

And, if you get a survey request from Jaguar, be sure to let them know too!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very true. Bad surveys hurt SA that have good Service Managers. It hurts in the pocket and sometimes that's all the matters to them.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,238 Posts
Very true. Bad surveys hurt SA that have good Service Managers. It hurts in the pocket and sometimes that's all the matters to them.
the surveys are a very big deal. So much in fact, you could almost say it’s leverage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts