Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F-Pacers,

Got my first recall notifications when taking the car in for the annual state inspection sticker. Looks like they had to repack and grease the tie rod ball joints. This was on 2018 F-Pace. Anybody else got this or similar recall yet.:|

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yep ! Our dealer just performed this recall on our 2017 S this week , while ours was in for service !

Code 57.91.41

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just completed 3 days ago. Paperwork says: H037 option CSeal the steering gear, tie rod end ball joints. I assume CSeal to mean check and seal?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Is this a real recall, or a service bulletin? Huge difference, as you know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weeb, the service advisor may have inaccurately called it a recall at drop off but when I look at the dealership invoice/paperwork - it stated "H037 - Required Service Action". Good call on the difference.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yeah, this vehicle already has a bit of history with service issues, I just want to see the actual "recalls" - - those issued for serious safety concerns - - remain at zero. No sense in making things sound worse than they are. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.
I realize how much theweeb likes *CLARIFICATION* ,
and as much as I hate to throw a *FOGGY HAZE* over your *CLARITY*,
here is a photo of our Service Paperwork , concerning this matter !

P.S. I would have to assume that , if something bad were to happen to ANYTHING involving the STEERING , it could easily become a "serious safety concern" , as theweeb so eloquently put it !

Attachments

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow... sweet it is an official Recall.... Recall = Required Service Action; I am taking all the dealership lingo in. Appreciate you guys! Fun car - Today felt froggy decided to drive in Dynamic - was fun to say the least. Enjoy the holiday weekend folks.

·
F Pace Expert
2,561 Posts
it is not a Jaguar recall despite how the dealer service management software labels it on that repair order.

“Water or other contaminants may be able to enter the steering gear tie-rod end ball joints which could lead to the ball joint developing a knocking noise after long exposure.”

·
Registered
617 Posts
Okay, this might be a dumb question. But based upon all the service issues, "recalls", etc is it the dealership or JLR that is obligated to contact us? And is it based upon vin number? My scheduled maintenance isn't for another year and I have no immediate plans to drop the cat off for any issues.

·
F Pace Expert
2,561 Posts
Okay, this might be a dumb question. But based upon all the service issues, "recalls", etc is it the dealership or JLR that is obligated to contact us? And is it based upon vin number? My scheduled maintenance isn't for another year and I have no immediate plans to drop the cat off for any issues.

This is why terminology matters. If something were a true recall Jaguar would be obligated to pro-actively contact you to get the issue addressed. As far as I know there there has been one real recall and it applied to exactly one car/one owner. I’ve seen real recalls for Land Rovers and other Jaguar models in Topix.

Otherwise these are service advisories or similar and these items get addressed when you have your vehicle in for something else or annual service. These things are not big deals and usually only impact a small subset of vehicles.

No auto manufacturer can afford to or does pro-actively notify people of non-recall stuff. Also, as evidenced by this forum, the “worried well” would overwhelm service centers. One can always plug one’s VIN into Topix to see if there are any new service advisories for one’s vehicle.

Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
517 Posts
If this were a true safety recall issued by the NHTSA, then there would be all kinds of letters coming from Jag USA based on my experience with an airbag recall on my Honda. However, as pointed out by VZXCO it appears this is really more of a service advisory, and my guess is you don't get any notice - it's just dealt with when you take your car in for maintenance.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Reactions: HEY GURL and bpmba

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just got back from my trip to Dallas and I'm glad we're still debating whether this is a recall. Based on what I see on Topix, it seems more of a Field Action than a recall.

Also, the knocking noise seems to be from the front suspension and not the rear.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
F Pace Expert
2,561 Posts
Just curious, is there a similar free search for Field Service Actions?
No, just at a headline level through Topix. You can always give your service advisor a call and ask as well.

FSA’s and similar are not typically anything pressing, like this one where eventually it might develop a knock. A true safety related item would result in a true “recall” and we would be notified.

Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were you guys having any noticeable negative effects on the steering because of this recall? I know that my wife's truck the wheel has some play in it now and makes a noise. I am waiting to bring it in with the stock rims on it because the first thing they will blame it on is aftermarket tires and rims. The easiest way to recreate the problem with the steering is to play with the wheel while stationary. There is a play in the wheel and a click sound. I am not happy with it. Add that to the rear hatch noise... I am getting nervous this thing is going to rattle apart.

·
F Pace Expert
2,561 Posts
Wow, how many times do you have to see THIS IS NOT A RECALL until you stop calling it a recall. I guess not enough so here it is again:

THIS IS NOT A RECALL

It’s a minor service issue, it could possibly be linked to the click sound but it sounds like it’s more long term for that to happen:

SITUATION:

An issue has been identified on certain vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where the steering gear tie-rod end ball joints have not been suitably sealed from exterior weather conditions. Water or other contaminants may be able to enter the steering gear tie-rod end ball joints which could lead to the ball joint developing a knocking noise after long exposure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts