Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thoughts on the new Range Rover Velar?

I saw the live streaming and it looks pretty in my opinion, it is base on the same platform as the F-Pace I think, I wonder what new tech will have.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nicest thing I can say about it is that it looks like a Land Rover product.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I personally really like the looks and the fact that the removed all the buttons on the inside as wellas the shaved door handles. That type of thing will be what the vehicles of the future will have as standard features in the future. The interior also looks more "high-line" than the interior of the F-Pace. With the dual touch screen system it looks more like a "concept" rather than a production model. Naturally it is not as agressive or sporty looking but rather looks more "refined". If the real thing is anywhere as nice, I may choose it over the F-Pace.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Love the wheels and rear end... thats about all I love, the front is way overdone. It looks like someone from Lumma was involved with the design. I think Jaguar always beat Land Rover in the looks department, and the Velar doesn't change that for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The interior of the Pace is my biggest gripe with the car, It doesn't match up to Grand Cherokee standards and that's unacceptable. The Velar appears to up the ante and I'd certainly appreciate that aspect of it. The rest of it appears to be buying an F-Pace with lipstick for 10k more ching. Not fond of that part of the equation. I don't know enough to make a call on it now but that's my gut on it until I know more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's got dual ICTP systems! That should make a lot of people cringe...
. But I think it's a gorgeous vehicle.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think the Rangie looks too much like the Ford Exploder

Reactions: CGBuffalo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not a fan and it's disappointing to a degree that it resembles the F-Pace in an uglier fashion. People might think I own a Range Rover! I don't need that stigma... :laugh:

I still like the lines and styling of the F-Pace better.

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
117 Posts
I checked out the RR Velar in person. Thoughts and pics.

I happen to be in London this week and heard the RRV was on display at the design museum til Sunday so I checked it out.

Exterior: looks sharp, pics do it justice. The overall stance, proportions, dimensions, are VERY similar to F Pace. The one I saw is a first edition with air suspension so it sat a little lower. The blacked out pillars had the same scratch prone plastic as our FPs. The flush handles looked OK, I could take them or leave them.

Interior: this is where the differences shine. A step or 7 above the FP. Vastly better materials, better use of color, the screens are really sharp. Visibility and seating position felt nearly identical to FP. The rear is identical, except a roller cargo cover vice our fixed one. Spare tire situation should be similar. Seats are similar but better padded, more comfort. There is a covered cupholder next to the shifter, press the little Land Rover oval and it opens. The armrests slide fore an aft and cover the other two cupholders.

TECH:the three screens were super sharp, very cool. They were in demo mode so I couldn't play with them. The HUD is full color which is kind of cool. The buttons on the steering wheel were really cool too and you can configure them with favorites.

Drivetrain etc: The display model was the 3 L diesel, engine bay look very similar to ours. This also had the laser headlights, but they only work above 50 miles an hour so I couldn't see them in person. Not likely to be available in the US anytime soon. They are going to be coming out with a 300 hp 2 L gas engine soon, so it should perform a little closer to 340 hp F pace. But, if you want the 380 hp V6, you'll have to go with the top spec model.

Misc: the rear door body frame is body colored! I always thought there were some sort of weird aluminum weld or something that required it to be covered up on the Jag, but I guess not. I don't care for the matte finish, it looks to be an expensive option and way more maintenance for the owner. I spent a long time talking to the rep from JLR, this should drive a bit softer than a FP but more sporty than the RRS. I do think it is liable to steal sales from Jag however, The interior and brand cachet will make it enticing proposition for people cross shopping the two vehicles. It looks like overall driving enjoyment will tilt towards the jags favor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Roverdude,

Thanks for this. Great overview write up and pics. I like the looks of this, I also like the flexibility of the air suspension, I'm puzzled as to why the center console looks bigger. Is there any specs on track and such that we could compare to the F-Pace? I assumed it would be the same, but that console looks at least 1.5 to 2 inches wider than our F-Paces' so I'm questioning where that space came from. If it is in fact a little wider, it would mean more room in the back for 3 real adults instead of a kid and 2 adults like our F-Pace. I'm eager to see one directly as well. It could be my next step from the F-Pace but I think it has to grow on me a bit for that and I need to see the specs. The SVR variant of the F-Pace should be out around the same time so it will be interesting to see how the pricing falls. Clearly, the SVR will be more, but the question is how much more...

Thanks again for taking the time to document and report this. Great stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The brochure is out with all the specs on the LRNA website. Very close to F Pace on most dimensions and specs.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the F-Pace's looks at first, but it grew on me as I seen they are distinguishing amongst all the other cross-over SUV's...Also you don't see one on every corner around here..in fact, I've only seen one other one besides mine in the past month

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I just built a First Edition with all the things I would like and similar to my FP... $91k or 20k more than my FP. Ouch.

Updated, played around with the lower configs. HSE model with 380hp engine and the goodies I would want $96k My My....

the First Edition does lock a bunch of config options in, color choices are minimal as are interior finishes.

Going the HSE route gives you much more choices and a way of adding another 4k to the mix for your payment!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Handsome looking vehicle!

I thought that Discovery Sport is comparable as far as dimensions goes at least but looks like that Velar is almost 10 inches longer that Discover Sport, 3 inches longer than F-Pace. I compared side by side pictures of Velar and Discover Sport and Velar looks lot more polished than Discover Sport. I test drove Discover Sport and I liked, including the looks, I still opted ordering F-Pace but Discover Sport was not too far behind. I might have considered Velar if it was available back in November. Price is definitely higher than Discover Sport and comparable F-Pace but pricing-wise it would drift into neighborhood where I would consider Cayenne.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Given the Disco sport discussion, the RRV is based on the F Pace platform. Hence the dimensions being so similar.

WRT the center console, it looked and felt a tiny bit larger than the FP's, but I think it's down to design. The storage cubby is the same size, the RRV seems a bit better packaged around the shifter because it's offset to the drivers side.

To eliminate confusion on platform sharing between Jag and LR

RR, RRS, new Disco - same LR designed aluminum platform
F Pace, XE, XF, RRV - same Jag designed aluminum platform
Disco Sport and Evoque - same Ford designed steel platform (descended from Ford Mondeo and old Volvo S80 believe it or not)
XJ - unique
F Type - unique? Not sure, similarities with XE/F platforms tho.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for posting...interesting...but I would go with the sportier vehicle, so the FP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is an absolute no go for me, the Steering Wheel is on the wrong side of the car!! :eek::nerd:

I personally think it looks really nice, It has a lot of similarities to our beloved F-Pace but looks like a RR. I anticipate given the number of Range Rovers on the road today this will be a big seller.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the F-Pace's looks at first, but it grew on me as I seen they are distinguishing amongst all the other cross-over SUV's...Also you don't see one on every corner around here..in fact, I've only seen one other one besides mine in the past month
The uniqueness was definitely a factor in my decision. I bet we'll see a ton more Velars on the road in the next year. I've still only seen 2 F-Paces in the wild over a year's time.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Handsome looking vehicle!

I thought that Discovery Sport is comparable as far as dimensions goes at least but looks like that Velar is almost 10 inches longer that Discover Sport, 3 inches longer than F-Pace. I compared side by side pictures of Velar and Discover Sport and Velar looks lot more polished than Discover Sport. I test drove Discover Sport and I liked, including the looks, I still opted ordering F-Pace but Discover Sport was not too far behind. I might have considered Velar if it was available back in November. Price is definitely higher than Discover Sport and comparable F-Pace but pricing-wise it would drift into neighborhood where I would consider Cayenne.
I've driven three new (less than 400 miles) Discovery Sports and each one was a rolling junk. The car is crap.

I do like the sleeker looks of the Velar vs. the totally square box-truck like appearance of other Range Rovers. I'm happy they didn't simply slap a RR Velar badge on an F-Pace and called it a day. That would've really pissed me off. I think the Velar will cannabalize RR Sport sales more than F-Pace, but the latter will be affected somewhat. Some Evoque buyers with deeper pockets will also go for this instead of the F-Pace. I believe the combination of F-Pace and Velar will cause the Evoque to be discontinued. Mark it down now. Trek said it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts