Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Question on 4 zone climate control

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  RoonieQ 
#1 ·
Just to clarify that only the temp setting can be individually set for front and back-- fan blower speed when changed from say the back affects the front too? I kinda assumed that fan blower speed can be individually controlled as well.

#2 ·
This is one of my complaints as well klho001 !!! I am very disappointed that this happens , because what if the person in the back doesn't want the fan blowing on high or low , when the person in the front does !!! It doesn't make much sense to me at all !!! I hope it is something that can be an easy fix to separate the speed function !!! :(

#3 ·
Can someone confirm that this is a true front-rear individual control system? Can the front be 68 and the back be 76? Truly independent? or does one just kinda modify the other? I had this in an Acura and they were pretty well independent. My kids liked it because they were always cold. Same here? Better in 2018?

#4 ·
The temperature settings can be different. The fan speed can not.

#5 ·
StormGrey is correct ! But I'm sure StormGrey already knew that ! :D
Once again , this REALLY irritates me to no end ! Why wouldn't *Fan Speed* be considered part of the Climate (hence climate control) ??? I have heard plenty of meteorologists say "The temperature today is * , and the Wind Chill Factor is *" ! I am seriously hoping it can be resolved with not too much effort ! :| < I don't normally use that one , because it is a "Serious Face" !
Just figured I should let everyone know I was being "serious". . . . this time ! :|

#6 ·
I think the answer on the separate temperature settings depends on whether you have ICT or Pro. Pretty sure my rear-seat passengers can only have the same temperature as up front, as I don't have a separate Rear Climate setting. But hey, they each have their own butt warmer and phone charger, so there's that...

Reactions: GRVR
#11 ·
It doesn't have to do with ICT or ICTP , it is an option that is included in the *Luxury Package* ! :)
And the *Butt Warmer* thingy comes with the Comfort & Convenience Package ! ;)

Reactions: bpmba
#7 ·
Temp can be set differently, and my kids always change the fan speed and I fix that when I notice quickly by hitting Auto. What I haven't been able to figure out is if they put their temp up quite a bit, say to 90, when the others are on 70, does their fan actually run faster to pump out more hot air or does the Air simply get hotter and come out at the same speed as everyone else? It seems to me if Auto doesn't actually individually control fan speed, I don't know how it can really support individual temp in an efficient or effective way.

I havne't had time to confirm my Fan Speed question, but if I get some time I'll check. Clearly, if anyone in the back changes the fan speed the driver side front fan setting does change as well. But if all are left on Auto, I'm not completely sure.

To be clear, I've only noticed this behavior between the rear occupants settings and the drivers setting.

#8 ·
Well then which one in hierarchy does the system try to satisfy? If you set the back on 80 and the front on 70 and the front IS 70... What happens?? in auto the fan is prob on the lowest setting and even though the back may circulate and open up a heat exchanger, the point is moot unless it has some additional fan to get it to 80. Does not make sense.... But I'm sure that's what you are trying to tell me !!
What part of that can JAG not figure out and change easily?

#9 ·
I can say this. I'm never cold or hot in my F-Pace and my front seat passengers are always happy as well. Kids will fiddle though and when my 10 year old and his friends are in the back, they always play with the fan speed and that results in the fan being changed for everyone or at least the rear seats and the driver which I've never ever seen in any of my other cars which had rear controls on climate and 3 or 4 zones. That is something I do think Jag needs to fix, but I don't know if that is just a software issue, or if the F-Pace really only has a single fan speed for all occupants. If it does only have one fan speed, and even on auto, with different temps set, the car only operates all vents at that speed, to me that is a design miss. It's not really a 4 zone system if that is the case.

However, if the system only operates as 4 separate zones including fan speed when all 4 zones are in Auto, it would be less of a worry for me. Still a design problem in my mind, but manageable by the end user. I would just tell everyone to leave the **** fan alone and change your temp to get warmer or cooler. But if the system really only has one speed for all 4 zones or two, one for the front seat passenger and then another for the driver and the rear seat passengers, I don't know how that would work. To me that would be a design flaw and not really a 4 zone system. If this is the case, all of us folks who purchased F-Paces with the 4 zone system would have should have a class action lawsuit available to us to get some of the money we spent on that system refunded, because that isn't really a 4 zone system. this is why i think the problem we are seeing is really a software control issue with the fan speed for the driver when the rear occupants change their settings, could Jag really design and advertise a system a 4 zone if it is really only 2 or 2.5.

#10 ·
Well then I guess that begs the question then.... Is there truly NOT a 2nd fan in the rear system only ( Or anywhere? ) for the rear seat people? REALLY? Then that IS truly false advertising... because how can it be 4 zones when either one of the front or rear zones can dictate the control over the other?? Not a total deal breaker for me but certainly this is one of the LUX packages biggest features and is false advertising if proven true.....

#14 ·
I do believe it is the luxury package that gives one the 4 zone Climate settings, otherwise there are only two zones Driver and Passenger and I assume in that setup the rear seats have to live with the driver's setting. That's how most cars are setup when they have only the 2 zones.

#15 ·
Everyone, I just decided to go out to the car and test this out. Best I can tell from my 10 minute test there is only one fan for all of the occupants. There is two controls for that fan one in the front which is two push buttons and one in the back (if you have the rear climate (not seats)). The fan speed at all locations in the car is always the same, it ends up being whatever the auto for the driver is it seems to me, unless someone manual turns the fan to some other location. The only thing that is 4 zones is the temp of the air coming out of the vents. I turned one side of the back to 65 and the other to 85 and one side was cold while the other was hot, but doing this change didn't turn the fan on for either side. When I dialed the fan up, both sides spit out their appropriate chilled or heated air at the same rate.

So it seems 4 zones is only on temp of air coming out of the vents, not fan speed. This disappoints me since I really think Fan speed at each zone should be controllable or at least operate as needed to maintain the set temp when fully on auto. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Note is also isn't the case if you have only two zones in the stock vehicle I believe. I don't have one to look at, but my front controls should work like stock and you cannot change fan speed separately on either passenger or driver side and on full auto, they temp of the air changes but the fan speed doesn't.

This system is different from what I'm used to in my wife BMW, my old Audi, Honda's and Infiniti.

With that said, I never had anyone complain about being too cold or too hot in the F-Pace, so I guess the real question is does it really matter.

#16 ·
Well first of all I am only talking about vehicles with the LUX package or true advertised 4 zone control, not stock setups.... it is nice that both sides can potentially heat and cool opposite, That's better than originally thought..!

That's the thing that would confuse me about the entire system being on auto with it being say 70 in the front and 80 in the back.. Which one would it try to satisfy and hold and which one would control the "auto" fan?

Oh well, Like you I'm not too worried about it other than getting what is advertised. As long as wifey is warm or cool it doesn't matter what the rest of the bus thinks! Thanks for wasting time with me on this topic..!!

#17 ·
I noticed reading the 2018 manual that it says there is a "Booster" fan switch on the lux rear zone climate control panel... Is this new and could it be the separate fan we are looking for?

#18 ·
If so , they better be able to retro-fit it into the 2017's !!!
Because in my opinion , not having *Separate* Fan Controls , is a MAJOR FLAW in design !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.