Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of chat about the "puddle lights" these days. My beef with them is different...

They are useless from the perspective of being a vehilce occupant. Unlike a true door-mounted puddle light that actually illuminates the ground beneath the door effectively as it opens (to see if there is a puddle perhaps before stepping out), the FP puddle lights being mounted under the mirrors, move away from the area under beside the door where one steps out as it opens making them completely useless for seeing what one may be stepping into upon exit. Poorly considerd design. They're really just approach lights. :(

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Since this is my first vehicle with "puddle lights", do other manufacturer's lights illuminate the appropriate stepping area? Should they angle and continue to light the step-out area?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Since this is my first vehicle with "puddle lights", do other manufacturer's lights illuminate the appropriate stepping area? Should they angle and continue to light the step-out area?
It varies, some do it like Jag, some do it with a door mounted puddle light. I personally like Jags way because you see it when you are approaching the vehicle, so anything directly under the mirror you will be able to see. With most door mounted puddle lights you have to wait to open the door to see if anything is there, and at that point you probably all ready stepped in what you were trying to avoid.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It varies, some do it like Jag, some do it with a door mounted puddle light. I personally like Jags way because you see it when you are approaching the vehicle, so anything directly under the mirror you will be able to see. With most door mounted puddle lights you have to wait to open the door to see if anything is there, and at that point you probably all ready stepped in what you were trying to avoid.
So the obvious solution would be to have both mirror puddles and door mounted... bet you could add the doors aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So the obvious solution would be to have both mirror puddles and door mounted... bet you could add the doors aftermarket.
Woah, did you say a door mounted and mirror mounted puddle light... you are going to drive these manufacturers crazy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the proper solution. But needs wiring. My XJL has that set up. There is a light at the bottom of the door split half white (puddle light shining downward) / half red (shines rearward to let oncoming cars see that the door is open). Plus, approach lights in the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Frankly..I could live without them..not a big selling point for me.

Reactions: GRVR and MTHM

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frankly..I could live without them..not a big selling point for me.
I agree. But since they did put them on the vehicle, thinking it through to get the functionality right would have been nice ;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I agree. But since they did put them on the vehicle, thinking it through to get the functionality right would have been nice ;)
I also agree with that...;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers DPK. Happy motoring...just keep your eyes peeled for puddles when exiting your vehicle >:)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I usually LOOK for "Puddles" through my Windshield or Side Windows or Mirrors , while driving before I pull into a space ! And if I see any , I just totally avoid parking in that space ! That way , I know when I "exit" the car , I will be on Dry Land , or at least Not In A "Puddle" !!!
So , No real Need for "Puddle Lights" !!! ;)
I do like seeing the word "Jaguar" on the ground though !!! >:)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Oooooh. PUDDLEs...I thought everyone was talking about Poodles... >:)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Trust me , I don't want to step in a "Poo-dle" , anymore then I want to step in a "Puddle" ! >:)
Adorable Pic , BTW !!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts