Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to post some good news since it is the Christmas Season, and "Tis the Season"

Have 10K + on my 2nd F-Pace since the "buy back". As of 2 weeks ago, I was at my end of the rope with the second one, with QC problems that are just unacceptable. How they could let cars leave the line in the shape they are in is just mind blowing!!! However it is what it is, they don't quality check like they should without question, and some decisions needed to be made for this guy. After 4 days with the pickup of the truck here goes (holding my breath and hope I don't put the jinx on myself):

ICTP Update - Thus far the following has grossly improved with the new ICTP:
Bluetooth is stellar now, i.e. sound, clarity, doesn't cut out anymore, click, freeze etc. A+
CD's load and player works without any jamming, freezing (as it should have in the first place ) A+
Media Loading - Loading to media from USB and CD is a bit faster, and actually works well now. Speed causes it to be B+
Album art is perfect and goes to the ICTP as it should have in the first place A+
Clicking noise is gone finally, which I guess ties into the bluetooth and stereo fix but good now A+
Self Adjusting - in the middle of songs, it no longer jumps back to the radio "non-prompted by me" A+

Creeking Noises:
Noise above the dash center supported and fixed (tightened the brackets) - Noise #1 Gone - A+
Noise under the steering column was spot welded by dealers auto body shop and now gone - A+

I give the ratings above with the assumptions that these things shouldn't have had to leave the factory with such poor quality control, had to be fixed at destination (the customer), but it is what it is and the ratings are purely on the fixes.

Don't forget that I had the stereo software updated and adjusted, coupled with my speakers having the 1/4" foam wrapped around them several months ago. With the noises gone, and the new ICTP software working as it should have in the first place, the stereo is just a dream now for me. Worst of the base songs handles it with ease, and the highs of the highs are brilliant. True Jaguar expectation sound wise.

Now the minor downsides still being dealt with:
I now understand that the audio fixes are being held up in the US since so many sound modules are crapping out and not able to handle the modifications. Word has it that the new software will be out in 18 sometime....and if this is true, buyer for those who didn't get it. I would push hard for this my friends if it is true. You need the new ICTP done by a tech who knows what they are doing, and after 4 days mine is the second update that they did this week....and it is holding it's own. I wouldn't take no for an answer on the new software as waiting until 18 sometime is "NOT AN ACCEPTABLE" result.

I have a windshield washer leak in the rear. When I open the trunk, fluid drips from the hinge of the door at the base, and from the control switch to the right of it. Dealer trying to find out what it is, and JLR is also trying to see what it is from the engineers in the UK. Stay tuned....silly little thing but it will be resolved I am sure.

Remote App...a lot written about this already. It has nothing to do with hardware, tested location where I stand, wireless off, latest version......you name it. I stand in the same area for example to rule things out as a test in my kitchen. works maybe 5% - 10% of the time. It is clearly the most unreliable app and again should not have been released as is. They had enough time to fix the software and cloud interaction with the vehicle. I basically give up on this one, and if they come up with a new app for this....it would be nice, but if they don't i'll chalk it up to a bad experience. It only bothers me when it is "cold out" and I would like to start the car...but it is so unreliable that I look at the iPhone and sarcastically laugh and say...."screw it". Not worth it.

IN summary, on balance the F-Pace that I was thinking of getting rid of, is now after 4 days, meeting my expectations finally on performance of ICTP, quiet ride (no Creeks), Stereo sound (Awesome), looks, etc.etc. Now I could say probably the finest car that I have ever owned, different but actually a bit nicer in my view (yet different) than my F-Type.

In summary I hope this helps, and for all of you having troubles, and who are trying to reach a good spot with your F-Paces push for the ICTP, Creek fixes which are out there, and 1/4" foam solution around the speakers, and Amp software fix. You will not be unhappy, I am sure of it!!!

It is so nice to have a functioning vehicle to one's standards, albeit 10K into the ownership after the buy-back of my first one. Confidence is in check, but building with each ride....and it will be a slow process but I feel I will get there again Jaguar. BTW, JLRNA is an awesome team to deal with and have been fabulous with me.

Just trying to be fair with the manufacturer and fellow f pace owners giving yet "another set of perspectives".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mine has been essentially trouble-free. Might be interesting to do polls on specific issues (e.g. dash creaking or ICTP sound crackling) to see how many seem to be affected...

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
nice write up and good to hear major progress.

Regarding Remote app; there has to something (network, wifi router, telematics config, car communications, ???) that is different between users that is causing problems. I have been using remote app more now that weather is cold and i’m getting nearly 100% reliable starts and reasonably fast status updates. I just tested it again - 1,500 miles away from vehicle and vehicle started within 60 seconds.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice write up and good to hear major progress.

Indeed and thank you very much.

Regarding Remote app; there has to something (network, wifi router, telematics config, car communications, ???) that is different between users that is causing problems. I have been using remote app more now that weather is cold and i’m getting nearly 100% reliable starts and reasonably fast status updates. I just tested it again - 1,500 miles away from vehicle and vehicle started within 60 seconds.
Interesting, and I hope that I find the same "combination" to open up the safe that you are experiencing. I have:
turned off wifi in doing this (per JLRNA instruct)
deleted and replaced the entire app
Stood next to the car, i.e. in the garage door opening looking at the car and nada most of the time, so eliminated any interference.

I continue to get messages talking about:
Network traffic
App fault....i.e. application times out
and several others that are crazy.

If they can do something to get to the root of this issue it is the cherry on the cake for me, but as I said I spent so much time fixing, communicating to JLRNA and my dealer the issues and working in a spirit of true partnership. I am happy with where we are at at the moment, and will give up until i hear the ultimate "consist. fix" is in place. It just isn't worth my time. But, to hear 1500 miles away and 100% that is encouraging and discouraging at the same time. Encouraging that you have this feature working well, encouraging that the connectivity and possibility is there, discouraging that there is an inconsistency and Jaguar can't wrap their heads around "root cause" analysis. I will use the word "Yet" as they are responsive to the issues, clearly not in denial, had some difficulties and should have turned the corner with the major items.

Thanks for the responses, and let's see where this goes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are barely 100 active forum members here. A poll of those would hardly be an indication of the true cross section of owners.
I tend to agree with you MKenM, in that statistically it would be incorrect. Also, a poll of sorts doesn't yield the benefit that one may suggest. If one car has a problem, that matters to the owner to work with the dealer and if necessary JLR. However, typically on the forum, if there is a problem that is plaguing the experience it surfaces pretty clearly, as in the ICTP, or the Jaguar remote.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Stood next to the car, i.e. in the garage door opening looking at the car and nada most of the time, so eliminated any interference.

Thanks for the responses, and let's see where this goes.
To all with this flaw, it sure sucks that this is still a lingering bug. As VZX-CO has pointed out there are so many variables that troubleshooting is perplexing. But folks, beware of red herrings. Standing next to the car can't possibly have anything to do with it:-

This app does not use a direct connection between the trigger (i.e. your phone) and the receiver (i.e. the car), so you are not possibly eliminating any interference, because it is not relying on a direct connection in the first place.

The app on your phone communicates through the cell network with a server (somewhere in the universe). The server should then respond and communicate (either through your subscribed sim or your wifi connection) with your car.

So if the fault is in "the connection", it's the signal to and/or from the server, not the phone to the car, because for this app, the phone does not use a direct connection (wired or Bluetooth) to the car. If all the components are working, but there is poor cell coverage, the car won't start even if you are standing next to it. Conversely, if all the components are working, including the cell connection, you can start the car from Europe or the Far East.

The only time we have a problem (android phone), is when we are in an area of poor AT&T coverage. That doesn't mean YOUR issue may not be one of the things VZX-CO has pointed out, the car does have to communicate properly with the server as does the app. But focusing on proximity to the car is a red herring, that at best confuses the real issue.

FWIW

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To all with this flaw, it sure sucks that this is still a lingering bug. As VZX-CO has pointed out there are so many variables that troubleshooting is perplexing. But folks, beware of red herrings. Standing next to the car can't possibly have anything to do with it:-

FWIW
Yes, I totally agree. The irony is that I was told by JLRNA, JLRUK, that connectivity is key (yes agreed), and that things such as interference in the house can cause this. Upon reflection and to your note, the latter is totally false based upon what you so accurately described to us in this note. Yes, be careful is right on the fixes and perceptions.

Thanks, and we are in total agreement that the phone (perfect reception for me) to the cloud somewhere in space, to the car, and set up at Jaguar for my vehicle is the key, and somewhere, somehow, someway....this is not set up accurately.

Thanks

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Depending on your cell provider a good experiment would be to take your vehicle to an open parking lot where you have five bars of service both on the vehicle 3G (assume u are using ATT through car SIM) and on your cell phone. Then turn off Wi-Fi on the phone and turn off any hotspot on phone if you use it. These steps make sure both car and phone are only using cell networks and have good connections.

With you out of vehicle, close and lock car. Give it five minutes for everything to shut down. Close everything on your phone. Turn phone off completely then restart it. Open web browser to make sure you have a good data connection on phone.

Load Remote app and see if it updates vehicle status and how long that takes. Assuming that works then go to next page in app and try remote start. Wait and see what happens.

That would be the cleanest test and eliminate questions of home routers, internet provider, car connecting to Wi-Fi, etc. As noted above, proximity to vehicle is only for observation purposes not to enhance data connection.

Other questions:
- does remote properly log your journeys?
- does remote update status correctly when vehicle at home?
- does remote show your vehicle in correct location or within a few blocks?
- do you know if your Telematics unit has most recent updates?
- can you browse web through ICTP web browser when away from home?
- do you have your vehicle set to connect to home network?
- what phone type, OS, home router type?

Some of the above questions would indicate how well car is communicating with cloud.

PS: apologies for topic drift

·
Registered
899 Posts
In regards to the Remote App, I sometimes see a point to point straight line for the Journey Route, but at a later time it repopulates with the actual route driven.
Has anyone else seen this behavior? I tend to think all the remote, route planner and live app problems are back end server issues.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In regards to the Remote App, I sometimes see a point to point straight line for the Journey Route, but at a later time it repopulates with the actual route driven.
Has anyone else seen this behavior? I tend to think all the remote, route planner and live app problems are back end server issues.
Have seen the same thing at times. You are probably correct about the server processing being the culprit. There has been some conjecture about how frequently the car communicates and how that's translated to the actual road data in "Here" or whatever the server uses.

In the end though, the journey log serves our purpose well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Outside of minor ictp issues, i’ve been trouble free. Nothing major to complain about.

I will say that i had a remote app with my Hyundia rhat they expected us to pay ar least $99 a year to use. The reliability of that crap was a joke. 10% of the time it would start my car. Name me a remote app that works flawlessly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Outside of minor ictp issues, i’ve been trouble free. Nothing major to complain about.

I will say that i had a remote app with my Hyundia rhat they expected us to pay ar least $99 a year to use. The reliability of that crap was a joke. 10% of the time it would start my car. Name me a remote app that works flawlessly.
Easy request.....Ford Key Fob remote works like a charm. Why not just put one in the Fob and call it a day. I'm not interested in starting my car from Saudi Arabia to NJ :-(!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Easy request.....Ford Key Fob remote works like a charm. Why not just put one in the Fob and call it a day. I'm not interested in starting my car from Saudi Arabia to NJ :-(!
Same here, Started the JGC in Zero weather -15 wind-chill, at least 4 times yesterday with the fob, sometimes from inside stores in the check out lane. Never missed.... Seats , wheel and heat on high. Locked up and humming when I arrived. Jumped in with Fob in pocket...Hate to say it, but when it's really brutal out.. we always take the JEEP over the FP...:|

·
Registered
547 Posts
Won't work of course if your car is more than a stone's throw away. Doesn't have to be another continent, could be just around the block.

I'm like skyking, I like all the systems in my car to work properly:-

from another thread
...........I would be concerned if a system in my car stopped working, whether I liked it or not.
And, for us, the F Pace remote start is a great feature; works a treat. Now also learned that the heated seats will come on with the remote, if they where set on when the car was switched off. Worth persevering to get it right.

FWIW

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was referring to a mobile app.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts