Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I took delivery 30 March 17 (Feb 2017 build 20d) the power tailgate would open randomly and occasionally when I opened the driver’s door to get in. To make sure my knee did not touch the trunk open button to the left of the steering wheel I was careful and pushed the driver's seat all the way back using memory driver position number three.

A couple of times the power tailgate opened while I was driving. Once in a parking lot, it opened when I put the vehicle in reverse. Yesterday, when I went into my garage after stopping to let the garage door open, the tailgate opened and the lid hit the stucco above the garage as I was driving in.

Attached are three photos of the damage to the F-Pace and the stucco. You can see in the second photo, aligning the parked vehicle and the damage it is readily apparent the truck lid hit the stucco.

I go to the Dealer on Tuesday as the Svc Mgr stated they must replicate what happened and find error codes.

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
That sucks! Where do you keep your key fob? Possibly the trunk release button on it is being depressed in your pocket mistakenly?
I'm always concerned that the trunk may forget the revised height setting with the same result.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fob was in my left pocket. It is possible that it happened as you stated, but my driving position didn't move other than reach up with my right arm to use the garage opener. Garage door opened, tailgate still closed, moved forward to get into garage when door fully opened and the tailgate lifted. Svc Mgr said tailgate should not open at all when moving.

Hope Jag finds the problem and fixes the body damage at no cost to me.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm sorry that happened to you. It seems you may have a short or something that is causing this. It's far to frequent and in very different situations to simply be your hitting the key by accident or the trunk button.

I haven't tried this, but I would think that the trunk wouldn't open while driving over some speed for obvious reasons. Will the trunk open when you are driving at any speed if you press the button on the dash? If that is the case, then it could be a short in that switch that is causing this issue for you, more than accidental fob handling, or some there door or hatch module issue

The only time I see this unintentional hatch opening is when I'm drying the car with a towel and get towards the back area where the foot sensors are with the key in my pocket. The towel even so lightly brushing across the sensor opens the trunk as intended. It's amazing how easily it happens, when sometimes I have trouble opening it with my foot when I need it opened, although I've gotten pretty darn good at that over the time I've had the car.

Reactions: blackkitty

·
Registered
626 Posts
I will attempt opening using the fob and the dash button while driving and report back. Thanks.
This has never happen to me. Do you have the activity key or foot activation capabilities? If so, maybe something wrong there...:nerd:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Fob was in my left pocket. It is possible that it happened as you stated, but my driving position didn't move other than reach up with my right arm to use the garage opener. Garage door opened, tailgate still closed, moved forward to get into garage when door fully opened and the tailgate lifted. Svc Mgr said tailgate should not open at all when moving.

Hope Jag finds the problem and fixes the body damage at no cost to me.
You might also want to look at adjusting the height your tailgate opens so it is not higher than the garage door opening. I set mine below because sometimes I space and leave the tailgate open when I enter or back out. It means I bang my head on the latch portion of the tailgate sometimes but removes the risk of it hitting the stucco or garage door.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This has never happen to me. Do you have the activity key or foot activation capabilities? If so, maybe something wrong there...:nerd:
Don't have these capabilities.

I will attempt opening using the fob and the dash button while driving and report back
Tried opening tailgate with fob and button while driving at very slow speed after hearing doors automatically lock. Tailgate did not open.

You might also want to look at adjusting the height your tailgate opens so it is not higher than the garage door opening.
I have adjusted height several times. Will check again as I don't think it remembers the setting.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I took delivery 30 March 17 (Feb 2017 build 20d) the power tailgate would open randomly and occasionally when I opened the driver’s door to get in. To make sure my knee did not touch the trunk open button to the left of the steering wheel I was careful and pushed the driver's seat all the way back using memory driver position number three.

A couple of times the power tailgate opened while I was driving. Once in a parking lot, it opened when I put the vehicle in reverse. Yesterday, when I went into my garage after stopping to let the garage door open, the tailgate opened and the lid hit the stucco above the garage as I was driving in.

Attached are three photos of the damage to the F-Pace and the stucco. You can see in the second photo, aligning the parked vehicle and the damage it is readily apparent the truck lid hit the stucco.

I go to the Dealer on Tuesday as the Svc Mgr stated they must replicate what happened and find error codes.

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
Yes, I have had this happen several times. I also hit the top of my garage. Dealer says the same thing. It usually happens when I first unlock the car with the remote. I' ve had it happen now more frequently and in some cases several times in a day. It cost me $700 to repair the damage. Dealer says they never heard of this and that I must be doing something with the remote an that I'm not realizing what I'm doing. BS. it sometimes happens after I drive off from a stop . I've had several people with me when these happen. I've made sure after I unlock the car I put the key fob in my pocket or jacket. so I am not touching anything. I'm sure that Jaguar is denying anything like this happening so as not to cover any damage from this.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Methinks this would be a NHSTA issue that could be reported. This is certainly a safety issue; even if it happens to a small select number of cars. It would be interesting to hook up a dashcam to the back of your car so it can catch when, in motion, the tailgate goes up (which I'm pretty sure it should never do).

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
All joking aside . . . . .

This is one of those EXTREMELY RARE occasions , that I actually wish people wouldn't revive Old Threads !!!

As I don't think I will ever be able to *UNSEE* that horrific third photo !!!:eek::crying:

Sorry , Rifleman !!!:(
I do hope it's all better now !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts