Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times I've recently used the tailgate release button to open the hatch. When I try to close it with the tailgate close button, I get a couple of beeps.
This is supposed to mean the key fob is not detected.
I've pulled the fob out of my pocket and held it in different positions with the same result. I can close it with the button on the fob.
This doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally and only started recently after about 4 months of ownership.
Going in for the K452NAS1 - Service Action: Track Rod End Adjusting Locking Nut on Wednesday, so I'll let them check it out.
Has anybody had a similar issue?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yes, I see this double beep sometimes as well when I go to close the tailgate/hatch. I really can't figure out why or when it does it. It seems to be when I'm standing too close to the tailgate itself, such as it think's it's going to close on my head, but that isn't the only time it does it. It doesn't happen often though. Once is maybe 20 times I use the tailgate/hatch

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This only happens to me when I open the tailgate with all of the doors locked and when pushing the button on the tailgate to close it, it will beep and won't close. Im guessing this happens because the entire car is still locked so all of the buttons inside of the car are disengaged.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ditto for what Jman97 said. Only time this has happened to me is when I didn't unlock any of the doors.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ditto for what Jman97 said. Only time this has happened to me is when I didn't unlock any of the doors.
That's strange behavior, because I've been useing it with all the doors locked and it's worked fine until recently. I'll see if unlocking the doors first changes anything, but that would be an extra step when throwing something in the back.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have never had a problem with opening the tailgate while the doors are still locked , however , I have always been using the Foot *Gesture* function , and not any of the switches ! I then close the tailgate with the switch on the bottom of the tailgate !

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's strange behavior, because I've been useing it with all the doors locked and it's worked fine until recently. I'll see if unlocking the doors first changes anything, but that would be an extra step when throwing something in the back.
Yes, I have tested this. If I try to close the tailgate with the doors locked I get a double beep and the tailgate won't close then I unlock the doors and it closes fine. The key fob will close it even if the doors are locked. I know for sure this happens when I use the foot gesture to open but not sure it happens when I use the key fob to open.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Happend to me tonight. Went to get something from vehicle, used foot gesture to open rear tailgate with all else locked. Tried to use the gate button to close it but got double beep. Used foot gesture to close door.

Reactions: Corpraider

·
Registered
536 Posts
I tested again tonight. Even if I open with the keyfob and the doors are locked trying to shut the tailgate with the button gave me the double beep so it appears the doors have to be unlocked for the tailagate to shut. Not sure why it would be set up this way unless they are concerned you would lock your keys in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I tested again tonight. Even if I open with the keyfob and the doors are locked trying to shut the tailgate with the button gave me the double beep so it appears the doors have to be unlocked for the tailagate to shut. Not sure why it would be set up this way unless they are concerned you would lock your keys in the vehicle.
That seems to make sense to me.

I have opened and closed only using the gesture from the side while locked. I suspect the sensors can detect the fob is outside the vehicle to the side. Standing right behind the open tailgate, however, they may not have the fidelity to detect if inside or out, so you get the double beeps and have to unlock to close.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Not sure if applicable but the manual warns that a key fob in a pocket stored behind a phone with a backlit LCD screen can be invisible to vehicle fob proximity sensors, not sure if it applies to any of the above but pointing it out in case it does.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if applicable but the manual warns that a key fob in a pocket stored behind a phone with a backlit LCD screen can be invisible to vehicle fob proximity sensors, not sure if it applies to any of the above but pointing it out in case it does.
I read that when I initially had the problem, so I took the fob out of my pocket and held it in different positions. No change. What bothers me is that it should work with the doors locked. Now it is intermittent (50-50) after working 100% of the time for the first couple of months. If it's supposed to close only after unlocking the doors, that would be OK, but I know it works sometimes with the doors locked. I'll talk to the service guys on Wednesday, but past experience has shown I know as much, if not more about these features than they do:)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Fascinating, I take back my last post. I just went out and tried this, using the gesture to open, the switch to close, with vehicle locked. Five times I did this, and it worked every time. Key fob in my pocket, nothing else in the pocket, and I stood as close as possible to the bumper when hitting the switch to close. I now suspect that the times I have experienced the double beep might have been with the fob in the same pocket as the phone, or maybe I was standing too far from the tailgate (6'3" with a long reach), or some other reason the fob was not recognized. @skyking, agree that yours might actually be a malfunction.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Interesting... it has always given me the double beep when I try to close the trunk with the deckled button and all doors locked. Phone in or out of pocket, didn't matter. Now when using keyless access to lock and unlock the car with the sensors on the door handles my iPhone has definitely interfered, which is interesting because my previous Lexus had the same sensors and my iPhone never interfered with the door sensors.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Fascinating, I take back my last post. I just went out and tried this, using the gesture to open, the switch to close, with vehicle locked. Five times I did this, and it worked every time. Key fob in my pocket, nothing else in the pocket, and I stood as close as possible to the bumper when hitting the switch to close. I now suspect that the times I have experienced the double beep might have been with the fob in the same pocket as the phone, or maybe I was standing too far from the tailgate (6'3" with a long reach), or some other reason the fob was not recognized. @skyking, agree that yours might actually be a malfunction.
This has been my experience as well, swipe leg to open rear gate while locked, load car, press button to close gate. I've never gotten a double beep when trying to close the rear door while the others are locked.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
225 Posts
I get it too, but just hit the button on the tailgate and it would close the second time. Happen once every 20-30 tailgate openings, and I open it a few times a day between work and going to the gym. I think its just interference with the keyfob as noted...not really an issue for me at this time though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For me it is definitely not interference because I don't have a phone or anything else in my pocket at the time and it is consistent. I get the double beep and then I unlock the door and it shuts with the button. Why would it have to recognize the fob to close an already opened tailgate?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Why would it have to recognize the fob to close an already opened tailgate?
Don't know the why, only the manual states "If a valid smart key cannot be detected within 39 in (1 m) of the rear of the vehicle, the tailgate does not power close. An audible warning sounds to indicate a mislock."

I suspect that the few times I have had the warning and not close could have been from me standing too far from the rear of the vehicle, especially if the fob sensor is located in the bumper. 39 inches is not that far away.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have opened and closed only using the gesture from the side while locked.
Hey theweeb , this statement makes it sound like you can *CLOSE* the tailgate with the Gesture Motion !
Isn't the Gesture Motion just for *Opening* the Tailgate ?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hey theweeb , this statement makes it sound like you can *CLOSE* the tailgate with the Gesture Motion !
Isn't the Gesture Motion just for *Opening* the Tailgate ?
Oh my, GR! You've had the car for nearly a year and you still dont know some of the features?!? You can both open and close the tailgate with foot gesture, DUH! :laugh:>:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts