Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the manual it says by pushing both mirror buttons simultaneously the mirrors will fold and unfold (except for the base model).

Here is my question, the manual says that the dealer can activate the auto fold option when you turn off or start your car. Does yours do that? Did you have to tell the dealer to turn it on? Or, were you able to do it on your own?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Test drove mine today and dealer already set the mirrors to autofold

·
Registered
474 Posts
I tried everything and couldn't find any way to do it. The manual says that a retailer or service personnel can do it, and doesn't say it can be found in any mode or screen so I think we're locked out. Why is the question. Why would they lock that out?

I do remember my local Jag repair guy had a very expensive interface device that would enable him to see very specific codes on Jags and I think do other cool things like that. Maybe you need the tri-corder to do that. :nerd:

Where's Peter when we need him???

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the dealer can do it. Maybe the better question is why isn't it the other way around. The dealer can deactivate it if the option is not wanted. That might make more sense but then again what do I know?

·
Registered
21 Posts
my mirrors auto fold, which I love. I have to hold the lock botton on my m3 door handle for 4 seconds to get them to fold

·
Registered
181 Posts
Interesting, hopefully they don't become loose after repeated open/close cycles. I had to turn mine off on the infiniti for that reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Perhaps more importantly for some of us in cooler climates is the risk of the motor being damaged if the mirrors are frozen and the car tries to automatically open or close them.

Our current XC60 allows you to manually open / close them by pressing the two buttons at the same time. But there is also an option to either set them to automatically operate with the key fob or not, within the car interface settings. I use the former in winter and then set them to autofold in summer.

It seems that the Jaguar doesn't let the owner set this, only the dealer. That's a bind and so I will put up with the pressing the buttons to open or close the power mirrors.

Arianne

Reactions: P-a Hudon

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yup, mine autofold when I lock the car; but you can manually fold by holding down both buttons at the same time. I do that when I enter and exit my garage--just in case. This is a wide car. I believe the dealer must have set up the autofold because I didn't do it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I guess I'm in the tiny minority here. I wouldn't want mine to autofold. I always use my mirror to see if the bus is going to take off my door (seen it happen to someone else) or a crazy bicyclist is going to flatten me to the ground.

Here in Portland we have a S***-ton of bicyclists and I live in the heart of the bicycle nirvana so these guys never stop for stop sign and rarely for a red light. You really have to watch yourself to not get run over. I almost got clobbered a few days ago when all the traffic stopped for me to cross the street and the bicyclist came out of nowhere and if I hadn't jumped back quick he would have nailed me. They think they have the right-a-way in every aspect here, and that includes blowing through signs. Sorry to rant.

So I need that mirror. I will only powerfold when I have to park on a really thin street or heavy bus traffic.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Interesting observations, but if they autofold when you lock the car, then the worry about visibility should be nil, as you would be outside of the car. Here in Denber, we have another reason to fold the mirrors, which is to keep them from being smashed by bored teens, much like the mailbox-baseball bat thing of my upbringing in rural Iowa. That said, I would rather have the choice to do it, and pushing a button is not difficult.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going against the majority here as well, I'll tell my dealer to turn the autofold off. It is nice to have the option to manually fold them in certain circumstances where it is helpful or prudent, but normally it isn't necessary.

If you only plan on keeping the vehicle for a few years it will probably be OK, but I had a Lexus LS430 with autofold mirrors and the gears eventually wore out after about 6 years, at which point the mirrors couldn't be controlled at all except manually. It was a more than $1,500 repair to have them fixed. And as Arianne notes, if there is snow and ice buildup on the mirrors it will only accelerate the wear on the gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No one made me aware that holding both buttons would auto fold. I have a tight garage and have been wishing that I had this function. Cannot wait to go home and try this!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My understanding from the dealer is that you can either have the mirrors electrically operated, or manually. If you want to electrically fold/unfold your mirrors, they will always fold/unfold on their own when you lock/unlock your car. If you don't like this automatic feature, you cannot elect to fold them electrically (say, while driving). The only way to fold them is by manually grabbing the mirror body and doing so.

Seems pretty stupid to me. I don't want my mirrors folding on their own, but I still want to be able to access the mirror functionality when I want. I hope Jaguar adds this to the list of owner accessible menu settings.

J

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
My understanding from the dealer is that you can either have the mirrors electrically operated, or manually. If you want to electrically fold/unfold your mirrors, they will always fold/unfold on their own when you lock/unlock your car. If you don't like this automatic feature, you cannot elect to fold them electrically (say, while driving). The only way to fold them is by manually grabbing the mirror body and doing so.

Seems pretty stupid to me. I don't want my mirrors folding on their own, but I still want to be able to access the mirror functionality when I want. I hope Jaguar adds this to the list of owner accessible menu settings.

J
It has been a while since I took delivery, but I remember you can fold them manually by pushing both right and left controls at the same time.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It has been a while since I took delivery, but I remember you can fold them manually by pushing both right and left controls at the same time.
Perhaps not every variant has this feature. The S variant has this feature, but we don't which one he has. I can't imagine having to manually fold my side view mirrors by having to grab them with my hand and fold them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Perhaps more importantly for some of us in cooler climates is the risk of the motor being damaged if the mirrors are frozen and the car tries to automatically open or close them.

Our current XC60 allows you to manually open / close them by pressing the two buttons at the same time. But there is also an option to either set them to automatically operate with the key fob or not, within the car interface settings. I use the former in winter and then set them to autofold in summer.

It seems that the Jaguar doesn't let the owner set this, only the dealer. That's a bind and so I will put up with the pressing the buttons to open or close the power mirrors.

Arianne
Same here I almost broke them on the Lexus so I was removing it during the winter as in the maritime there is a lot of freezing rain

·
Registered
207 Posts
kinda of on the same subject, when the car is put in reverse, then our left mirror tilt down to see the curb and what not, but the right one won't tilt and the dealership said it was only made for the left one to tilt. i call BS but no way to prove him wrong. our Range Rover tilt both sides, so i dont know whats going on ?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
kinda of on the same subject, when the car is put in reverse, then our left mirror tilt down to see the curb and what not, but the right one won't tilt and the dealership said it was only made for the left one to tilt. i call BS but no way to prove him wrong. our Range Rover tilt both sides, so i dont know whats going on ?
It really is only the passenger side. I checked the manual because I thought mine might be broken. It does indeed say the mirror dip is only the passenger (right) mirror. I've never had this feature before so I didn't know about it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess I'm in the tiny minority here. I wouldn't want mine to autofold. I always use my mirror to see if the bus is going to take off my door (seen it happen to someone else) or a crazy bicyclist is going to flatten me to the ground.

Here in Portland we have a S***-ton of bicyclists and I live in the heart of the bicycle nirvana so these guys never stop for stop sign and rarely for a red light. You really have to watch yourself to not get run over. I almost got clobbered a few days ago when all the traffic stopped for me to cross the street and the bicyclist came out of nowhere and if I hadn't jumped back quick he would have nailed me. They think they have the right-a-way in every aspect here, and that includes blowing through signs. Sorry to rant.

So I need that mirror. I will only powerfold when I have to park on a really thin street or heavy bus traffic.
Please rant, the same attitude exists in Toronto.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts