Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the pleasure of picking up my new (to me) 2017 Ammonite Grey 20D Prestige from the Jaguar dealership in St. Louis, MO. I was looking for a certified preowned courtesy vehicle and found one 12 hours away from my home in Colorado. So a one way flight to St. Louis, some signatures and exchanging of documents later, and I was on my way driving back home. I took it easy and drove 6 hours a day, enough to learn about the features and driving of the beautiful F-Pace. Somewhere along the way I realized that the dealer had the tires inflated to 48, and I lowered that and figured out the "light load" setting change, which helped noticeably on my 20 inch wheels.
This F-Pace comes with:
Vision Package
Comfort and Convenience Package
Protection Package
20 inch Venom wheels
7k miles at pickup, now 8k!
Loved the feel and comfort and economy and cruising ability. I usually set the cruise to 9mph over the speed limit to ensure that I can pass 99% of police officers without incident. But a few times a car passed me on the highway significantly faster, and I tagged along. 100mph is very easy in the F-Pace. MPG takes a hit at that speed, but not too bad. Overall, I averaged 32mpg at an average of 82 mph, going west largely against the wind, and slightly uphill. I'm thrilled with that!
Now to get the little tweaks like front license plate holder and tow hitch. Looking forward to the years ahead with this Jaguar!
[I tried to attach a picture, but the thumbnail was upside down, so I deleted it]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Congrats, I have the same car except for the engine. That 20 inch Venom wheel is one of the best looking rims on the FPace in my opinion, especially in Ammonite Grey because of the matching paint.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Loved the feel and comfort and economy and cruising ability. I usually set the cruise to 9mph over the speed limit to ensure that I can pass 99% of police officers without incident. But a few times a car passed me on the highway significantly faster, and I tagged along. 100mph is very easy in the F-Pace. MPG takes a hit at that speed, but not too bad. Overall, I averaged 32mpg at an average of 82 mph, going west largely against the wind, and slightly uphill. I'm thrilled with that!
Now to get the little tweaks like front license plate holder and tow hitch. Looking forward to the years ahead with this Jaguar!
[I tried to attach a picture, but the thumbnail was upside down, so I deleted it]
That is the same way we feel about ours too, Before delivery we had a little apprehension about the 20D being slow and underpowered. That couldn't be further from the truth. It has plenty of torque and will move right along with any other vehicle at 75-90 MPH no problem, all while returning sub compact like mileage. That feature is one of the biggest positives about this vehicle... I still believe the Ingenium diesel is one of the strong suits of this vehicle.....

·
Registered
406 Posts
My problem with the FPace 20D is the 0 to 60 MPH in 9 seconds time, those are also sub compact acceleration numbers. Like all diesels, there is plenty of torque on the highway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! Just curious, when you purchase a vehicle from out of state, are you obligated to pay any of that state's tax?
The dealership asked me where I was registering it, and charged only the tax for my home state. They even gave me the option of not paying the sales tax at the dealership, which would just mean I pay it at the DMV. I chose to pay it at the dealership. (Rolled it into the financing)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My problem with the FPace 20D is the 0 to 60 MPH in 9 seconds time, those are also sub compact acceleration numbers. Like all diesels, there is plenty of torque on the highway.
Yes, I give up the drag race for the amazing everything else. Honestly, I have owned lots of fast cars and I can't understand the obsession that car magazines and others have with getting those "ludicrous" off the line numbers. In traffic and around town and really any time I want to drive, I just don't need to go that fast. We have a Cadillac ELR plug in electric hybrid and it has similarly "poor" 0-60 numbers, but actually screams around like a rocket ship, as far as I am concerned (the instant electric power accounts for that). I also have a 300hp Acura that accelerates much faster, but I don't care, and never really need to stomp on it like that. Our fourth car, a VW Vanagon syncro Westfalia with a 2000 VW ALH TDI in it might also help with my sense of perception. I am used to going so slow off the line that the F-Pace feels totally zoomy to me. And I love that diesel torque for pulling up hills of Colorado, on the highway, and 99% of my driving.
Not that I don't secretly lust for a really fast F-Type. . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats, I have the same car except for the engine. That 20 inch Venom wheel is one of the best looking rims on the FPace in my opinion, especially in Ammonite Grey because of the matching paint.
yes, G man, I loved it in the pictures but the pictures did not even do the car justice. When I saw it in person for the first time, I liked the color even more, and you are right, the wheels do match the paint in a subtle but noticeable way.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yes, I give up the drag race for the amazing everything else. Honestly, I have owned lots of fast cars and I can't understand the obsession that car magazines and others have with getting those "ludicrous" off the line numbers. In traffic and around town and really any time I want to drive, I just don't need to go that fast. We have a Cadillac ELR plug in electric hybrid and it has similarly "poor" 0-60 numbers, but actually screams around like a rocket ship, as far as I am concerned (the instant electric power accounts for that). I also have a 300hp Acura that accelerates much faster, but I don't care, and never really need to stomp on it like that. Our fourth car, a VW Vanagon syncro Westfalia with a 2000 VW ALH TDI in it might also help with my sense of perception. I am used to going so slow off the line that the F-Pace feels totally zoomy to me. And I love that diesel torque for pulling up hills of Colorado, on the highway, and 99% of my driving.
Not that I don't secretly lust for a really fast F-Type. . .
Here's a guy that gets it...

I like fast cars and have had a few too, but really, to each his own... I'm not in competition with anyone any more. I see plenty of nut cases down here in SWFL Naples area cut 4 lanes of traffic and race stop light to stop light like its the Monaco Grand Prix in Porsches, Maserati's, Ferrari's and the like..... And they wonder why vehicle insurance is so high down here...

I'm perfectly happy to catch up with them at the next red light, like we do every day, and get 35-40 MPG doing it. They very rarely get any where more than a few minutes faster than we do...

·
Registered
549 Posts

Here's a guy that gets it...

I like fast cars and have had a few too, but really, to each his own... I'm not in competition with anyone any more. I see plenty of nut cases down here in SWFL Naples area cut 4 lanes of traffic and race stop light to stop light like its the Monaco Grand Prix in Porsches, Maserati's, Ferrari's and the like..... And they wonder why vehicle insurance is so high down here...

I'm perfectly happy to catch up with them at the next red light, like we do every day, and get 35-40 MPG doing it. They very rarely get any where more than a few minutes faster than we do...
I'm one of those guys. I can get a lot done in a few minutes.;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm one of those guys. I can get a lot done in a few minutes.;)
Baherrick, I get it. There are times when I actually need to get somewhere fast, and without being a d!ck to other drivers, I will push the lights, cut holes in traffic, and sometimes make real time up. Heck, I love watching my ETA drop on long drives when I choose to keep the speed high. Last year I visited a friend in Montana and without my kids in the car, in long straight sections of highway, I was running a steady 120mph in my Acura RL. It just loved going that fast and ate up the miles quickly.
But more and more I am realizing that urgency isn’t always necessary in my life, and actually comes with a price of stress and unnecessary self imposed pressure. I am enjoying relaxation mixed with precision with this FPace, and the driving dynamics can be appreciated while not crushing my mpgs needlessly.
I guess a lot changed for me when we were in two wars in the Middle East in 2008 or so, I realized that every time I filled up the tank of my Land Cruiser, there was a good chance that some Saudi family was sending part of the profit from my fuel to fund insurgents fighting our soldiers, I began to feel less free to blow through fuel like I used to. We sold our Audi A8 and the Land cruiser for an all diesel fleet, and even joined a biodiesel co-op, albeit one making biodiesel in 5 million gallon industrial batches.
Since then, we have strayed a little from the all diesel ethic a few times, but the efficiency of diesel is easily 50% better than comparable gasoline engines. I don’t even care if I save money, I just feel better not burning so much fuel.
I’m loving this ingenium engine. Better than the BMW diesel in the 328d and torquier than the VW TDIs. We had a VM Motori diesel Jeep Liberty, which was great, but didn’t get the mileage of the 20d F Pace, and had much more of a surge with the turbo.
I am getting used to the lag when you step in it with this engine. Feels a little more pronounced than I am used to. But today I started putting it in S in the gear selector, and the higher revs definitely diminishes the lag in many situations around town. On the highway I would likely go back to the standard shift points, but for now, it is S around town!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome to the 2.0D club!

·
Registered
406 Posts
To me, a powerful engine is not really about driving like a dick or driving recklessly, its about having the power when you need it. Does a Rolls Royce need 500 hp, of course not, but it is there if you need it. In my opinion, it is also a safety factor, I can get out of harms way in a hurry instead of being a sitting duck. Of course when I find an open road, I like to have some fun :)
It really comes down to one's priority, if all you are looking for is a point a to point b transportation, then the 2.0D is a great car for that. For some of us, we need a bit more, that's where the larger engine comes in, too bad Jaguar do not make a FPace with a 3.0L or 3.5L diesel. By the way, driving a Acura RL and dring a FPace 3.5T aggressively are like night and day, the RL is not design to be driven hard, the FPace love to be driven aggressively. The FPace is design to connect the driver and the RL is design to isolate. Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
MacJack, Welcome to the forum and Jaguar F-Pace Ownership. Great color by the way, I feel it is one of the best colors for the F-Pace overall. The website didn't do it justice, but it person it's great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me, a powerful engine is not really about driving like a dick or driving recklessly, its about having the power when you need it. Does a Rolls Royce need 500 hp, of course not, but it is there if you need it. In my opinion, it is also a safety factor, I can get out of harms way in a hurry instead of being a sitting duck. Of course when I find an open road, I like to have some fun :)
It really comes down to one's priority, if all you are looking for is a point a to point b transportation, then the 2.0D is a great car for that. For some of us, we need a bit more, that's where the larger engine comes in, too bad Jaguar do not make a FPace with a 3.0L or 3.5L diesel. By the way, driving a Acura RL and dring a FPace 3.5T aggressively are like night and day, the RL is not design to be driven hard, the FPace love to be driven aggressively. The FPace is design to connect the driver and the RL is design to isolate. Apples and oranges.
agreed that cars ideally are expressions of our personal priorities, and the more we are clear on these priorities, the more we can also make difficult decisions to balance among competing priorities, such as sporting, efficiency, cost, comfort, spaciousness, etc. Many times the priorities start going in opposite directions, and so we have to give up some in order to favor other, presumably more important priorities. For me, point A to point B would not be a Jaguar, probably some sort of econobox. Rather I value the beauty, driving dynamics, practicality, all weather, and economy. I can imagine that the FPace 3.5T would be a hoot to drive agressively, as that engine response must be amazing. The Acura RL 2nd gen, of which my 2005 was the first year, was more sporting than the first gen, and also than the third gen RL. It is actually a great drive. does it compare to a modern aluminum intensive FPace? Not exactly, but that wasn't what I was needing to improve upon by selling the RL for the FPace. I wanted the exquisiteness, the roadtrip-worthy space and efficiency, and fewer maintenance surprises (Acura has 150k+miles). I like how the Jaguar makes me feel, not unlike the excitement I feel for the Cadillac ELR just looking at it!
And my own personal guilt-proneness with resource use is assuaged enough by the diesel engine, though I would probably consider the 3.0 if they offered it here!

·
Registered
406 Posts
agreed that cars ideally are expressions of our personal priorities, and the more we are clear on these priorities, the more we can also make difficult decisions to balance among competing priorities, such as sporting, efficiency, cost, comfort, spaciousness, etc. Many times the priorities start going in opposite directions, and so we have to give up some in order to favor other, presumably more important priorities. For me, point A to point B would not be a Jaguar, probably some sort of econobox. Rather I value the beauty, driving dynamics, practicality, all weather, and economy. I can imagine that the FPace 3.5T would be a hoot to drive agressively, as that engine response must be amazing. The Acura RL 2nd gen, of which my 2005 was the first year, was more sporting than the first gen, and also than the third gen RL. It is actually a great drive. does it compare to a modern aluminum intensive FPace? Not exactly, but that wasn't what I was needing to improve upon by selling the RL for the FPace. I wanted the exquisiteness, the roadtrip-worthy space and efficiency, and fewer maintenance surprises (Acura has 150k+miles). I like how the Jaguar makes me feel, not unlike the excitement I feel for the Cadillac ELR just looking at it!
And my own personal guilt-proneness with resource use is assuaged enough by the diesel engine, though I would probably consider the 3.0 if they offered it here!
I agree about priorities, economy and engine power is often a trade off, I wish I can have both. I don't we will ever see a 3.0L diesel engines FPace on these shores as the CAFE restrictions are forcing auto manufacturers to go with smaller engines. In fact, BMW is replacing their 3.0L diesel with the 2.0L diesel in some models, I expect a lot of other manufacturers to follow suit.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
@macjack ,
if you want to go ahead and post some photos on here , then go ahead !
*GR* will *save the images* to my computer , then rotate them , then re-post them on here !
After I do that , then you can delete yours again !
That way everyone can soak-in the BEAUTY of your Ammonite BEAST !!!:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts