Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we need performance tires on our F Pace cars? I don't drive fast under any conditions.

I hate to think that I'll get 30K and need a new set. Is there a 20" tire that is not HP that will do well? If so what brand is best?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am always amazed why people spend big buck on the car, motorcycle or even a bicycle but then want to save on thing like tires. The fact is that the best vehicle will ride like sh.. on low q. tires. Yes, get performance tires. There are many and often choices are personal preferences but still there are better and worse ones. Good place to check is tirerack.com and since there won't be many (if any) records based on the model (F-pace) go by the size and read the reviews. You will find interesting info specific to brands, models, climates, .... Have a great time researching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had any luck in getting the dealer to include performance summer tires on 20in rims?

Since I run specific winter tires (Blizzaks) from Nov to April. I would love summer tires instead of all-season tires for the rest of the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do we need performance tires on our F Pace cars? I don't drive fast under any conditions.

I hate to think that I'll get 30K and need a new set. Is there a 20" tire that is not HP that will do well? If so what brand is best?
go to tirerack.com and plug in your F-pace details. It will give you a nice selection of 20" tires to choose from. It will list winter tires first...but scroll down to all-season and summer. I have used the Michelin Latitude series before on previous HP SUV's...they are rated very well. The one listed is an all-season version. They show a summer HP version on page 2, Michelin Latitude Diamaris. Your F-Pace likely came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AT's. They are good all season tires and decent performance. I really see no reason why you should incur the expense of replacing them now given your stated driving habits.
if you live in an area that doesn't get cold, icy or snowy, you are quiet fine with these Eagles. If you live in Florida for example, switching to summer HP tires will improve on the already excellent response from the F-Pace's steering and roadholding. But we are talking subtle changes that many won't even notice.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
go to tirerack.com and plug in your F-pace details. It will give you a nice selection of 20" tires to choose from. It will list winter tires first...but scroll down to all-season and summer. I have used the Michelin Latitude series before on previous HP SUV's...they are rated very well. The one listed is an all-season version. They show a summer HP version on page 2, Michelin Latitude Diamaris. Your F-Pace likely came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AT's. They are good all season tires and decent performance. I really see no reason why you should incur the expense of replacing them now given your stated driving habits.
if you live in an area that doesn't get cold, icy or snowy, you are quiet fine with these Eagles. If you live in Florida for example, switching to summer HP tires will improve on the already excellent response from the F-Pace's steering and roadholding. But we are talking subtle changes that many won't even notice.
Hope this helps.
Why would you go to the expense and trouble of changing the OEM Tire. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AT's are the only tires that come with 20 Inch rims and are specifically designed for the Jaguar F Pace. Presumably the engineers spent time and effort getting this tire just right for this vehicle. Why screw it up?

You just bought a luxury sports vehicle and now you want to downgrade the tries. Makes no sense. Tires are absolutely critical to the driving dynamics of a vehicle.

I have had my S with 20 Inch tires for over a month and find the OEM Tire is quiet on the highway and very good cornering performance. I do not want a summer performance tire because you have to loose some control/grip in wet weather conditions over an all season.

For winter I have already my rims and tires. Even though I live in the city and Toronto does not get much snow I always switch over for peace of mine. My winter tires are speed rated the same as the OEM and our Pirellis Scorpion Ice and Snow. I got a deal on these as they were one generation earlier than current and were takeoffs.

As for switching out of the OEM tires to go to a lower speed rating that makes no sense. It will end up costing you to swap to an inferior tire and who knows what the ride quality will be. Vehicle Manufacturers will always advise to stay with the OEM Speed rating and never lower.

Price is not the issue. There are some very good tires made by Hankook and Kumho both from South Korea that are rated highly but priced somewhat lower than other makes such as Pirelli, Continental, Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear etc. When your OEM tires wear out look at these makes to save some money but not quality.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A couple points here.

Summer tires typically provide the best dry and WET traction that there is along with excellent comfort and noise ratings. The trouble is they also provide the absolute worst performance once the temperature goes below 40deg F (hence the name) and the shortest tread life. You should never drive a car on them in winter conditions (regardless of the amount of snow but that of course is even worse). All season tires use different materials so that the rubber doesn't get hard in the cold like summer tires and typically last longer. They do make performance all season tires and generally they work well. Winter tires are the softest of them all and should only be used at temps below 40deg F (if you want them to last more than a few months).

AWD vehicles tend to provide a bit of a false sense of security in the winter as many people think their car/SUV can handle anything and they proceed to treck out in 10" of snow without a care in the world. AWD only helps you accelerate, stopping an turning are another thing. If you get a lot of snow, winter tires are the best option. Many all seasons will work ok and get you to where you are going, but please don't expect that because you have an awesome AWD SUV you can rally it up on the streets in snow. Generally speaking RWD car on snow with winter tires will handle better than an AWD vehicle on all seasons. I have a RWD Merc and it is pretty much un-drivable in the snow with A/S tires, and with its winter shoes on it works better than my sisters AWD SUV on A/S tires.

You really can't make a blanket statement like one brand will give you better life than another. Each tire is its own entity and things like materials, tread depth/pattern, speed rating and tread life ratings define what they are. Tire manufacturers have to put their tread ware test result on each and every tire. Take a look it is the UTQG rating right next to or below the size. The GoodYear F1 Asymmetric (standard tire for the FP with 20" wheels) is a pretty good SUV tire in terms of noise, comfort, and performance but the expected tread life isn't that great: UTQG: 240 AA A Here the number 240 is a standardized number that predicts how long they will last. Most All seson tires are up there in the 400 - 600 range. Like the Pirelli Scorpion Zero which is at 400. The tread ware rating isn't nearly as scientific as they would like you to believe so there is a grain of salt type acceptance needed, but for sure a 400 is going to last longer than a 240, but probably at the cost of grip or other performance characteristics.

All this is right there at tirerack.com and it is laid out pretty well in their tire tech and ratings/reviews and test results so don't take my word for it, look it up.

Reactions: OregonRSport

·
Registered
295 Posts
A couple points here.

Summer tires typically provide the best dry and WET traction that there is along with excellent comfort and noise ratings. The trouble is they also provide the absolute worst performance once the temperature goes below 40deg F (hence the name) and the shortest tread life. You should never drive a car on them in winter conditions (regardless of the amount of snow but that of course is even worse). All season tires use different materials so that the rubber doesn't get hard in the cold like summer tires and typically last longer. They do make performance all season tires and generally they work well. Winter tires are the softest of them all and should only be used at temps below 40deg F (if you want them to last more than a few months).

AWD vehicles tend to provide a bit of a false sense of security in the winter as many people think their car/SUV can handle anything and they proceed to treck out in 10" of snow without a care in the world. AWD only helps you accelerate, stopping an turning are another thing. If you get a lot of snow, winter tires are the best option. Many all seasons will work ok and get you to where you are going, but please don't expect that because you have an awesome AWD SUV you can rally it up on the streets in snow. Generally speaking RWD car on snow with winter tires will handle better than an AWD vehicle on all seasons. I have a RWD Merc and it is pretty much un-drivable in the snow with A/S tires, and with its winter shoes on it works better than my sisters AWD SUV on A/S tires.

You really can't make a blanket statement like one brand will give you better life than another. Each tire is its own entity and things like materials, tread depth/pattern, speed rating and tread life ratings define what they are. Tire manufacturers have to put their tread ware test result on each and every tire. Take a look it is the UTQG rating right next to or below the size. The GoodYear F1 Asymmetric (standard tire for the FP with 20" wheels) is a pretty good SUV tire in terms of noise, comfort, and performance but the expected tread life isn't that great: UTQG: 240 AA A Here the number 240 is a standardized number that predicts how long they will last. Most All seson tires are up there in the 400 - 600 range. Like the Pirelli Scorpion Zero which is at 400. The tread ware rating isn't nearly as scientific as they would like you to believe so there is a grain of salt type acceptance needed, but for sure a 400 is going to last longer than a 240, but probably at the cost of grip or other performance characteristics.

All this is right there at tirerack.com and it is laid out pretty well in their tire tech and ratings/reviews and test results so don't take my word for it, look it up.
I agree with you for the most part but not on the summer tire being the best for wet traction. I had for a number of years a Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo and it was stored each winter. The tires were always hp summer tires rated the same as the OEM Michelin tires.

The Michelins were dangerous in wet conditions as they planed over water patches. Then I had a set of Dunlop Tires, better in wet but not great. Same for the third set of Bridgestone Tires. Each of these tires was great in dry conditions.

As you stated summer tires also wear out very fast. In my case, I was replacing them every 25,000 to 30,000 kilometers or 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

As for the GoodYear F1 Asymmetric AT I also looked at the Tire Rack web site and noted the shorter mileage rating. Only time and mileage will tell us but if the mileage is decent and the tire performs well otherwise in terms of handling, wet performance, quiet etc I would stick with them for a replacement if needed.

Generally I replace my vehicle at between 60,000 to 75,000 kilometers or about 40,000 to 50,000 miles. With winter tires doing about 1/3 of the mileage, usually no replacement is required.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why would you go to the expense and trouble of changing the OEM Tire. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AT's are the only tires that come with 20 Inch rims and are specifically designed for the Jaguar F Pace. Presumably the engineers spent time and effort getting this tire just right for this vehicle. Why screw it up?
For the record, just making sure I am clear on this, I am not advocating that the thread starter go through the expense of changing his Goodyear Eagle OEM tires. Just giving him resources to use while investigating what he wants to do. If anything, I am about ready to just get rid of my F-Pace R-Sport, wheels, tires and all, for something that is better made, reliable and it's electronics work as intended. :-(

·
Registered
295 Posts
For the record, just making sure I am clear on this, I am not advocating that the thread starter go through the expense of changing his Goodyear Eagle OEM tires. Just giving him resources to use while investigating what he wants to do. If anything, I am about ready to just get rid of my F-Pace R-Sport, wheels, tires and all, for something that is better made, reliable and it's electronics work as intended. :-(
Sorry to hear that.

I have ICTP and 360 degree camera.

Still can not adjust volume when in rear drive and the rear camera screen only has left and right yellow land markers but that is compensated for by the side screen on the right that has makers all around a depiction of a vehicle.

Also the motion detector for the rear hatch opening and closing is a bit balky but works.

After software upgrade last week at the dealer, the screen seems much more responsive.

These are minor annoyances to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I have ICTP and 360 degree camera.

Still can not adjust volume when in rear drive and the rear camera screen only has left and right yellow land markers but that is compensated for by the side screen on the right that has makers all around a depiction of a vehicle.

Also the motion detector for the rear hatch opening and closing is a bit balky but works.

After software upgrade last week at the dealer, the screen seems much more responsive.

These are minor annoyances to me.
That's cool. But no annoyance is minor to me when I dropped almost $70K on a vehicle...when other car manufactures can do it better and at lower price points. To add insult to injury, the Intel Automotive division which was involved in developing InControl for Jaguar is located right here in downtown Portland...blocks away from the dealership. Despite 2 software updates, satellite radio still freezes erratically, park distance control doesn't work and when it does, you are about inches from hitting something, back up camera is sometimes slow to come up, black screens, the list goes on.
This week alone...car refused to lock..even with fob. No doors or hatch ajar...I opened and closed everything and then it locked. Got faulty isolators replaced (suspension creak had started at 1300 miles)...go to pick up car and service advisor tells me disturbing news that this might not be the fix-all on some cars...well, 2 nights ago, while driving 25 mph and going over a speed hump...a LOUD clunk like a spring just let go coming from the rear of the car. Rattle/buzz has also developed from the dash now. Who knows what's next.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It appears that the only choice in 20 inch with the same spec as the OEM Goodyear is the OEM Goodyear.

The OEM is W speed rated.

There are a number of V speed rated all season tires of the same size 255/50/20 including very well priced Khumo Tires, Hankook Tires and surprisingly Pirelli Tires, all with much longer rated tread life. Also all rated XL like the OEM Goodyear.

Also found a Falken W rated XL for high performance SUV/CUVs but a summer tire not an all season.

I assume that is why the OEM tire 20 inch tire was developed specifically for the F Pace

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are very well (if not excellently) wet conditions performing summer tires. There are also summer tires that are quite durable. The softest compound no tread summer tire will be terrible in wet and will not last long but let's not go to F1 extremes here.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Got faulty isolators replaced (suspension creak had started at 1300 miles)...go to pick up car and service advisor tells me disturbing news that this might not be the fix-all on some cars...well, 2 nights ago, while driving 25 mph and going over a speed hump...a LOUD clunk like a spring just let go coming from the rear of the car. Rattle/buzz has also developed from the dash now. Who knows what's next.
In how many threads must you post this same comment. We get it. No need to triple+ post. :|

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's cool. But no annoyance is minor to me when I dropped almost $70K on a vehicle...when other car manufactures can do it better and at lower price points. To add insult to injury, the Intel Automotive division which was involved in developing InControl for Jaguar is located right here in downtown Portland...blocks away from the dealership. Despite 2 software updates, satellite radio still freezes erratically, park distance control doesn't work and when it does, you are about inches from hitting something, back up camera is sometimes slow to come up, black screens, the list goes on.
This week alone...car refused to lock..even with fob. No doors or hatch ajar...I opened and closed everything and then it locked. Got faulty isolators replaced (suspension creak had started at 1300 miles)...go to pick up car and service advisor tells me disturbing news that this might not be the fix-all on some cars...well, 2 nights ago, while driving 25 mph and going over a speed hump...a LOUD clunk like a spring just let go coming from the rear of the car. Rattle/buzz has also developed from the dash now. Who knows what's next.
Happened to be in a dialogue on emails with a leading automotive journalist in Canada and he advises me that their is likely a major upgrade in the software coming in October. So hang in there.

As for less expensive alternatives that can do the same thing , I agree since most of the tech features are developed by third party vendors and is available to any manufacturer. The difference you pay for is in the high performance engine and suspension and of course the design and image.

If you just want to go from point a to b and have most of the same tech features just buy a Hyundia or Mazda or Toyota. I don't say that sarcastically because they are all great vehicles, probably more reliable than the Jag but kind of generic to drive and will not be an upscale image. You could probably buy almost two of them for the cost of the Jag.

No different from by example a watch. Only three or four factories in the world produce all the quartz movements. A Timex or Bulova is just as reliable and performs the same function i.e. tells the time, as a Rolex or Tag or Cartier etc, but costs thousand less. Why do we buy the luxury brands, IMAGE.

We are afraid to admit it but many things we buy and use is not because of utility but because we have reached a certain economic status and want others to know it or require it for business. Vehicles we drive are a prime example of our image to others.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I buy a car because of its performance and styling. It's about how the car impresses me...But given my experience with the F-Pace, I am thinking twice about the possibility of getting a F-Type and as soon as Porsche brings out the new redesigned Cayenne...it's goodbye F-Pace sad to say. I have had 2 Cayenne's and 2 X5s over the past 10 years....the F-Pace at 3600 miles has had more issues than all 4 previous SUV's combined over the combined time I had them. That's not cool.
Yes the F-Pace impresses with an excellent engine/transmission and wonderful steering. But not worth it to me when I constantly have to worry about being stranded or what may go wrong with the F-Pace. Today....ran the F-Pace through the car wash....trim around windshield came off. I have taken 5 different cars to the same car wash...nothing ever happened to them until this. Oh well.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Who has Pirelli p zero asymmetric 22's from factory?

I can't see this conversation coming up in any previous thread so here it goes..
I recently got a second set of these Pirelli P Zero summer tires and all 4 are the same, so the tread grooves the same on all 4 tires?
That means when comparing both sides the fina outside grove points to the front on one tire and on the opposite side the final grive points backwards?.
FYI- All tires are with 22" rims off an Fpace, so if you have them, what does yours look like. See pics off both my front tires and again, all 4 tires are the exact same, I feel like there should have been two left and two right tires.
Thoughts?
20190415_181324_1555380778753.jpg 20190415_181324_1555380778753.jpg 20190415_181324_1555380778753.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can't see this conversation coming up in any previous thread so here it goes..
I recently got a second set of these Pirelli P Zero summer tires and all 4 are the same, so the tread grooves the same on all 4 tires?
From a quick google search, I think these are correct. Pirelli sells some tires that are asymmetrical, some that are directional, and some that are both. Asymmetrical tires will have tread that varies from outside of the rim to inside of the rim, but be the same across all four wheels and OK rotating in either direction. This lets you swap wheels left / right when you rotate for even tread wear. I think yours fall in this category.

DIRECTIONAL wheels need to be mounted on one side only, as they have a rotational design component to them. Such tires should be stamped with left side / right side, and maybe even have a direction of rotation arrow.

I think yours are asymmetrical but not directional.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts