Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Locking doors without key fob

I'm new to the forum so be gentle. I just purchased a 2017 20D Premium without passive lock. When exiting the vehicle, I hit the lock button on the door and nothing happens. I have to use the key fob to lock the doors. The key fob is outside the plane of the passenger compartment when I try to lock it. I've never had a vehicle that would not allow me to lock the doors manually while exiting. I'm hoping this is just a setting somewhere or a glitch. I really don't not want to pull out the fob everytime I want to exit the vehicle. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Not sure if this will help, from the online OM:

To operate passive locking:

Lock sensor area: To lock the vehicle, touch only the lock sensor once without gripping the door handle. The hazard warning lights flash once to confirm locking.

NOTES
Do not grip the door handle while touching the sensor; doing so prevents the vehicle from locking.

When using passive locking, the vehicle does NOT lock when:

any door(s) is open.

the hood is open.

the luggage compartment is not fully closed.

the ignition is on.

No audible mislock error warning is given. The hazard warning lights do not flash and the power-fold mirrors (if enabled) do not fold in.

Make sure that the ignition is switched off, and that all of the doors, the hood and the luggage compartment are closed properly. Lock the vehicle again. If the mislock persists, consult your retailer/authorized repairer.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My F Pace does not have passive locks.
I think that's the point. The passive lock system allows you to lock/unlock from the handles. You'll have to use the fob.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think he is tallking about the lock button on the inside of the door as he is getting out. I thought the Premium didn't have the option for the outside handle door lock.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Hey Macdoj , if you are referring to the Interior Door Locks that are on the Armrest Area of the Driver's Door , then I think I read in a post a while back where someone had the same problem , and it ended up being a *Wiring* problem , or maybe a *Loose Connector or Contact* somewhere !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I'm talking about the lock on the armrest. With the door open and the fob outside the vehicle. Any ideas about why it would be designed to require the fob? With my Lexus, as long as the fob is outside the car the doors can be locked from the armrest.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Yep jaguar is dumb and won't let you lock the doors with either the passive locking or interior locks while a door is open. Why in the world....

They also let you lock your key in the car, so that's a dumb one too...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes I'm talking about the lock on the armrest. With the door open and the fob outside the vehicle. Any ideas about why it would be designed to require the fob? With my Lexus, as long as the fob is outside the car the doors can be locked from the armrest.
I guess they do it to help prevent you from locking your keys in the vehicle. I have never had a vehicle you couldn't lock with the door open. Kind of strange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All of my cars have key fobs and none of them will allow me to lock the fob in the car. I've never had one that you couldn't lock it from the armrest as you're exiting. It seems to me it would be a pretty simple fix to override that. It's just finding the right person at Jaguar to work with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I guess I just need to find a phone number or email for a real person at Jaguar corporate. To help find a work-around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made a phone call to Jaguar. I felt like my inquiry fell on deaf ears. The person said the doors must be shut before it can be locked and there was no workaround at this point. I told him that if they felt strongly that the doors need to be shut before it could be locked, there needs to be a button on the door handle on the outside of the car in order to lock it manually. On my old G series it had passive sensor on the handle to unlock by just touching the handle and as well, had a mechanical button on the handle to lock. I asked if there was a way for vehicle owners to submit suggestions to their R&D department for improvements. The call-taker said no. I find that hard to believe, but oh well. I know in the scheme of things this is a silly issue but I wouldn't have bought one without it if I would've known. It's just something I presumed a 2017 luxury vehicle would have standard. I guess my wife can just get used to carrying a key fob in her hand all the time. On the brighter side of things I just made a 25 mile trip down the interstate and per the trip computer got 42mpg. The fuel economy might not be totally accurate but I really like this turbo diesel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree about locking the fob in your vehicle. I previously had a Dodge Durango with the passive locking and I left my fob in the car and it wouldn't let me lock the doors. Also figured they wouldn't have a way to work around it. How long have you had your F-Pace? Have you done your survey yet? Might be a chance to bring this issue up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Before this thread turns into another "my [insert non-luxury brand car make here] would always let me lock the doors manually and never let me lock my fob inside" thread, I would just like to reiterate that my Jaguar F-Pace with keyless entry doesn't allow me to lock my key fob in the car, and my Audi Q7 doesn't allow me to lock the doors manually while the door is open either. It's unfortunate that the same function is not available on lower trim lines, but it isnt unheard of in the industry and is an option for future owners who would like it.

Reactions: Roadsterguy

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Before this thread turns into another "my [insert non-luxury brand car make here] would always let me lock the doors manually and never let me lock my fob inside" thread, I would just like to reiterate that my Jaguar F-Pace with keyless entry doesn't allow me to lock my key fob in the car, and my Audi Q7 doesn't allow me to lock the doors manually while the door is open either. It's unfortunate that the same function is not available on lower trim lines, but it isnt unheard of in the industry and is an option for future owners who would like it.
I've never tried using the armrest door locks, but I know in my S4 I can lock the doors using the exterior door handle with any door still open. It clicks, but doesn't chirp until all doors are shut.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not sure if this will help, from the online OM:

To operate passive locking:

Lock sensor area: To lock the vehicle, touch only the lock sensor once without gripping the door handle. The hazard warning lights flash once to confirm locking.

NOTES
Do not grip the door handle while touching the sensor; doing so prevents the vehicle from locking.

When using passive locking, the vehicle does NOT lock when:

any door(s) is open.

the hood is open.

the luggage compartment is not fully closed.

the ignition is on.

No audible mislock error warning is given. The hazard warning lights do not flash and the power-fold mirrors (if enabled) do not fold in.

Make sure that the ignition is switched off, and that all of the doors, the hood and the luggage compartment are closed properly. Lock the vehicle again. If the mislock persists, consult your retailer/authorized repairer.
This is correct, same as mine. Try it and report back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never tried using the armrest door locks, but I know in my S4 I can lock the doors using the exterior door handle with any door still open. It clicks, but doesn't chirp until all doors are shut.
My BMW did too

·
Registered
286 Posts
I made a phone call to Jaguar. I felt like my inquiry fell on deaf ears. The person said the doors must be shut before it can be locked and there was no workaround at this point. I told him that if they felt strongly that the doors need to be shut before it could be locked, there needs to be a button on the door handle on the outside of the car in order to lock it manually. On my old G series it had passive sensor on the handle to unlock by just touching the handle and as well, had a mechanical button on the handle to lock. I asked if there was a way for vehicle owners to submit suggestions to their R&D department for improvements. The call-taker said no. I find that hard to believe, but oh well. I know in the scheme of things this is a silly issue but I wouldn't have bought one without it if I would've known. It's just something I presumed a 2017 luxury vehicle would have standard. I guess my wife can just get used to carrying a key fob in her hand all the time. On the brighter side of things I just made a 25 mile trip down the interstate and per the trip computer got 42mpg. The fuel economy might not be totally accurate but I really like this turbo diesel.
My best trip so far is 50 mpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep jaguar is dumb and won't let you lock the doors with either the passive locking or interior locks while a door is open. Why in the world....

They also let you lock your key in the car, so that's a dumb one too...
I do not know who's dumber , if you or the car. lol

Best answer...
I lol'd hard at the Insert non-luxury brand...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts