Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, today I was out running some errands, and thought I would try the parallel parking thing for the first time. I have had my FP for seven months, but never used it, as I added the package for the adaptive cruise. Anyway, quiet residential street... first time, scary and impressive, as it placed the FP within only a couple of inches of the curb, as shown below. I was pretty stoked!

Second try, it did not straighten out from the 45 degree cut, and actually bounced me up over the curb. I have no idea why this happened, and it was really startling. I had to hit the brakes to stop from going into the yard. This is really concerning. The only thing abnormal was I thought it was cutting too close to the car in front, and for a second the proximity sensor gave an alert as it was backing in. Really strange.

Third try, perfect, no issues. I do think that it does the maneuver at a higher speed than I would manually.

So, please share, your experience with the system. Right now, I have a lack of trust in it, but will go play around some more to see if I can repeat the error. I am a bit skittish in trusting it....

Side note, with the electronics, I would think they could match the color on the 360 view, or at least give the user the ability to change it....

·
Registered
245 Posts
If his is the same as mine it appears much closer in the camera than it is in reality. If I pull into a parking spot right up to where the camera shows the front end being on the line the car will actually be 6 inches, maybe a little more, when you get out and look. The same holds true for the side/ rear camera, when I pull into a spot the lines are typically almost touching my car but when I get out I'm well within the line on both sides. Back in, same result. I'd be curious to know what others are seeing...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've used both the auto parallel parking feature (both R & L sides) and the parking exit features a lot and have never had an issue. The perpendicular option I've used less frequently as it is generally not the type of parking spot I look for (i.e too close to neighboring vehicles) but when I've experimented, it too functioned well. They do get you close to a curb at times, but never a touch or curb jump.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've used both the auto parallel parking feature (both R & L sides) and the parking exit features a lot and have never had an issue. The perpendicular option I've used less frequently as it is generally not the type of parking spot I look for (i.e too close to neighboring vehicles) but when I've experimented, it too functioned well. They do get you close to a curb at times, but never a touch or curb jump.
Same experience

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You know, in retrospect, my second try was probably my error. I think the proximity sensor beeped and I instinctively tapped the brake, which disengaged the auto park, but I did not realize it and the FP continued on over the curb - it was no longer under automatic control. I feel kind of sheepish....

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You know, in retrospect, my second try was probably my error. I think the proximity sensor beeped and I instinctively tapped the brake, which disengaged the auto park, but I did not realize it and the FP continued on over the curb - it was no longer under automatic control. I feel kind of sheepish....
I thought that I was told that while the vehicle was *parallel parking itself* that the driver was responsible for the *Accelerator* AND the *Brake* ??? Which to me , would mean that the system should not have disengaged when you "tapped the brake" ! I am wondering if you just hit the accelerator a little too much , and then jumped the curb ???????

Just a thought !!! And with ALL due RESPECT , my friend !!! ;)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Im relieved if that was in fact the issue. I have always been weary about auto park, I have nightmares of the system going haywire and backing me into another car, person, house dog, fire hydrant etc. etc. :eek:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I thought that I was told that while the vehicle was *parallel parking itself* that the driver was responsible for the *Accelerator* AND the *Brake* ??? Which to me , would mean that the system should not have disengaged when you "tapped the brake" ! I am wondering if you just hit the accelerator a little too much , and then jumped the curb ???????

Just a thought !!! And with ALL due RESPECT , my friend !!! ;)
I haven't tried the feature yet but this was my understanding when reading about the feature.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have read a bit more, just watched the instructional video that JLR put out as well. I am really not sure what happened, only that I probably screwed it up, as I cannot imagine them putting a system out that was not reliable. Right?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used it only once, or should I say 'half' a time. I only tried the perpendicular parking once after I had the car a couple of months (going on 9months now). It identified a spot, starting backing in and halfway through I got a message that the Auto Park Assist Cancelled. Slammed on the brakes inches away from hitting the car next to me. Never tried it since!
Given the 10,000 issues I've had with ICTP I am not surprised that the parking software isn't clean either. SW on the F-Pace was nowhere near ready for prime time when Jaguar launched this vehicle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used it only once, or should I say 'half' a time. I only tried the perpendicular parking once after I had the car a couple of months (going on 9months now). It identified a spot, starting backing in and halfway through I got a message that the Auto Park Assist Cancelled. Slammed on the brakes inches away from hitting the car next to me. Never tried it since!
Given the 10,000 issues I've had with ICTP I am not surprised that the parking software isn't clean either. SW on the F-Pace was nowhere near ready for prime time when Jaguar launched this vehicle.
If I had 10,000 issues with anything, I would not still have it. You need to have that one checked out.

It will come inches (or less) from the other car - but it will not hit it. It is very sensitive to braking/accelerating - and you must only do it when directed or else it shuts it down for safety. It sounds like it was doing exactly as designed and working fine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If I had 10,000 issues with anything, I would not still have it. You need to have that one checked out.

It will come inches (or less) from the other car - but it will not hit it. It is very sensitive to braking/accelerating - and you must only do it when directed or else it shuts it down for safety. It sounds like it was doing exactly as designed and working fine.
He said he got a message that it cancelled THEN he hit the brakes. I wouldn't be surprised if JLR doesn't really have all of its technology buttoned down judging by what happened with ICTP.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Could he have hit the brake or gas - even slightly - to cancel it? Something cancelled it. I have found that it makes me pucker because it seems like it will just start hitting everything so I hover the pedal and have accidentally tapped it.

Reactions: RoonieQ

·
Registered
390 Posts
Definitely not for the nervous Nellie / faint-of-heart crowd. But trust builds with success.

I seriously doubt it's a glitch, notwithstanding all of the joys of ICTP.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Definitely not for the nervous Nellie / faint-of-heart crowd. But trust builds with success.

I seriously doubt it's a glitch, notwithstanding all of the joys of ICTP.
I'm pretty confident that the *Glitch* (as you say) , was most likely sitting in the drivers seat !!! ;)

As always gentlemen , I say this , *With All Due Respect* to theweeb !!! >:)

Reactions: Hayseed_FP
1 - 18 of 18 Posts