Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got off the phone with my local SunTek installer down here asking about templates for the F Pace for front bumper protection. They're going to research it with SunTek, 3M and XPEL to see if anyone has templates for the F Pace yet. I've used their SunTek film on my Audi and I really like the protection it provides. Plus they'll be doing our windows and windshield tinting which they excel at.

Has anyone else talked to local installers about templates? I always prefer a template over custom, since I don't trust anyone with a razor blade near my car...

Cheers!
Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
I notice this XPEL commercial on Kingsmen 2 youtube posting and clicked on it. Sounds interesting though self heeling paint protection. Something which I would be interested to know.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
My dealer offers this protection service in varying levels of coverage at decent prices. I've never done protection before, on a car, and wonder are there any downsides? Does the film wear out in long term? Lots of road rocks tossed about here in Colorado.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Sun Tek on my F type and will want it on my F Pace also. Saved my **** once already when I underestimated the length of that long hood when turning into the garage. The film didn't heal but it sure protected the paint on my jag. Replace one piece of film - lots cheaper that repainting a fender !!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have Sun Tek on my F type and will want it on my F Pace also. Saved my **** once already when I underestimated the length of that long hood when turning into the garage. The film didn't heal but it sure protected the paint on my jag. Replace one piece of film - lots cheaper that repainting a fender !!
Can you see the film after install? Is it visible to people who look at your car? And when you replace it or decided to have it removed, does it leave a sticky residue of some kind on the real paint?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer offers this protection service in varying levels of coverage at decent prices. I've never done protection before, on a car, and wonder are there any downsides? Does the film wear out in long term? Lots of road rocks tossed about here in Colorado.
Usually guaranteed for 10 years against yellowing.

I would be cautious about anything the dealer offers. Stick with 3M, SunTek or XPEL.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly the purpose!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you see the film after install? Is it visible to people who look at your car? And when you replace it or decided to have it removed, does it leave a sticky residue of some kind on the real paint?
I can only see the edges when I'm washing my car (up close). Otherwise it's pretty invisible. No one has ever noticed it until I point it out. Plus, I don't have the hood, which I would recommend and wish I did. I would only do a full hood cover, half hood usually shows the line a bit more noticeably.

No residue or damage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm looking to get XPEL'd soon! Like JWreck, waiting for templates as I don't trust anyone using razor blades...

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking to get XPEL'd soon! Like JWreck, waiting for templates as I don't trust anyone using razor blades...
I'll post here once my installer gets back to me. They're checking with all the major brands to see if they have templates cut, because they can use any of them regardless of the material.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on my time on other forums the XPEL seems to always get the highest ratings.
Same in the Audi world. Interestingly, my installer who used to install XPEL said they didn't like the quality of it and that they feel SunTek is better - less orange peel and more clear. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had what is variously referred too as clear bra or paint protection on all of my vehicles for a number of years. The product keeps improving the latest being self healing. I have never had a problem with it peeling or discolouring. I highly recommend applying it.

I have been told that it could be an issue with white vehicles but since I never buy white vehicles that is not an issue for me.

There are varying degrees of the amount of the vehicle to cover and the price varies greatly between the amount of coverage and the shop doing the application and the material used. I cover the front hood about an 1/3 up from the nose, the whole front bumper area below the hood, the side mirrors and have them make door edge guards for all four doors. A lot more can be covered but I find that to be more than sufficient.

As for which product on my present X3, I have 3M Scothguard but I am told that XPEL is presently superior and I think there is one other high end product.

As for price I would be surprised that the dealer is competitive. I would check the web and local forums for installer recommendations. The least expensive like anything is not likely to be the best so you need to look at price, recommendations, material used and what is being covered.

I agree if you can find an installer with a template that is much better than a custom cut. With a template they just programme their CNC machine and out comes the cut pieces of material for a perfect fi.

·
Registered
310 Posts
See my post in this forum on my general thoughts. To answer your question, never had any of my applications discolour and with every increasing improvements in the products doubt that is an issue as it may have been slightly when it was introduced maybe 20 years ago by 3M.

I have never had it removed but I am told and the promotions for these products advise that there is no residue. I assume that a good soapy wash would remove any residue if there is some left after removal.

Can you see it? If I pointed it out to you on my present X3 you would see a fine line on my hood but if you were just casually walking by you would not see it unless you have XRay eyes. Unless I remind myself that it is on the vehicle I don't see it day to day.

Hope this helps.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Very helpful, thanks, guess I will get it and look at non-dealer options,

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never protected any car I've owned, but I've been reading some other threads along these lines on this and the U.K. forum. What do you guys think of clear wraps vs the ceramic coatings you can get? Advantages of one over the other? Cost difference? Any input appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never protected any car I've owned, but I've been reading some other threads along these lines on this and the U.K. forum. What do you guys think of clear wraps vs the ceramic coatings you can get? Advantages of one over the other? Cost difference? Any input appreciated.
Clear wraps will protect against small objects being tossed at your car MUCH better than a ceramic coating like C Quartz. Most clear wraps are actually like paint so they can be polished and waxes.

Ceramic coatings really are more of a semi-permanent sealant, helping protect your paint against the elements. Most of them tout that they make your paint harder and therefore less susceptible to damage but it's not comparable to a clear paint protection wrap at all.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
One more question, is this something you do right away or should you wait a bit (assuming there are templates, etc)?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more question, is this something you do right away or should you wait a bit (assuming there are templates, etc)?
I think that's debatable. They say you shouldn't wrap a newly painted car...usually 60-90 days from the last clear coat to say it's cured....

That said, if you don't do it immediately, you're risking damage driving without it.

Personally I will be driving it right over with the wrappings still on from shipping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All my cars ( or most) have / had it.
I always did the bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors.
Sometimes I saw half -done: meaning half hood and half fenders !!! Don't ever do that. Is ugly.
My film apparently is self-reparable. If I scratch it, all you have to do is leave under the sun and it will be like new.
Never tried it yet.

Back in 2010 on my wife's white car (bought 2008) the film became yellow. So you could see the contrast.
I learnt that if you do not wash it regularly that' what happens. And as well, that apparently over the years they improoved the film quality.
I was always told that 3M is bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts