Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a recommendation for a paint protection firm. I live in the Lehigh Valley but have no trouble traveling to nearby counties for the right company. I've decided I want some kind of clear coating instead of film, or at least clear coating first. Anyone have a recommendation where I should go? I've never paint protected a car before, but I don't like seeing winter dirt on my F-Pace. I want to get the wheels coated too.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Although I can't tell you who to go to locally I can tell you since you have had your car for a while anyone who is going to attempt to put any paint protection on it must clay the car first then put a coat of polish/sealer then whatever type of paint protection you want. For my money I would not do it. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
You don't put clear coating on first, then decide to do a film later. It would be a waste of money. The clear coating that isn't the cars included clear coat would need to be removed to put the film on. You certainly wouldn't do them together in that order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wouldn't know any good shops in your area, but I thought I should share with you what I decided I will do to my car as soon as it will get in my hands.
- Modesta glass coatings - full exterior and interior (Includes exterior paint, all glass, rims & barrels and exterior trim coatings plus complete interior fabric and leather coatings)
- Xpel film - full front
Let me know what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have always had good luck with opticoat. This time I went with cquartz finest.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't know any good shops in your area, but I thought I should share with you what I decided I will do to my car as soon as it will get in my hands.
- Modesta glass coatings - full exterior and interior (Includes exterior paint, all glass, rims & barrels and exterior trim coatings plus complete interior fabric and leather coatings)
- Xpel film - full front
Let me know what your thoughts are.
Yes, I read that I would have to first get some kind of paint correction, although there are hardly any swirls on my car at all. Then apply Modesta, CQuartz or something else.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although I can't tell you who to go to locally I can tell you since you have had your car for a while anyone who is going to attempt to put any paint protection on it must clay the car first then put a coat of polish/sealer then whatever type of paint protection you want. For my money I would not do it. JMO
Why would you not do it if you were me? Haven't you had it done to your car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since I'm couple of weeks away from delivery, any of the above respondents want to share what the approximate cost of their applications? This is something I was going to research this weekend.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm looking for a recommendation for a paint protection firm. I live in the Lehigh Valley but have no trouble traveling to nearby counties for the right company. I've decided I want some kind of clear coating instead of film, or at least clear coating first. Anyone have a recommendation where I should go? I've never paint protected a car before, but I don't like seeing winter dirt on my F-Pace. I want to get the wheels coated too.
I got mine done at a detail shop that came highly recommended from my JLR dealer. If you are willing to travel to the West Chester/Exton area of Chester county the shop did a very good job. Three coats of Ceramic pro and a coating on the glass and wheels and it has held up very nicely besides a few minor chips and scratches from road debris.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It depends on how long you intend to own the vehicle, mileage, typical road conditions, weather and if you garage it among other factors

I always put film protection on my vehicles, to prevent chipping and did that within a day of delivery. This time I went with the installer's recommendation and used XPEL. The shop I used installs all three major brands, including XPEL, 3M and Suntek. XPEL and 3M were more expensive then Suntek. Since I had it done about 6 months ago I can not recall the differences between the three and different installers will prefer one over the other. Also they keep improving so it depends when you do the install as to which brand is the most technologically advanced at the time.

I then decided for the first time to have paint protection applied. It was within weeks of delivery so no claying was required. There were significant differences in price between which paint protection to apply even from the same shop and of course prices differences from shop to shop. I decided given the fact that I drive very little, 12,000 kilometers per year or about 8,000 miles, will keep the vehicle for no more than 5 years and it is garaged at home and an indoor lot during the business day that the least expensive application was sufficient for me. I went with the least expensive version of Clearcoat. I spoke to the installer and he assured me that based on my use age pattern, it would last for at least 5 years. In any event he would do a touch up for about $100. With the price of a touch up being so low it pays me to go back if needed then pay out 100s of dollars more at the outset for a more expensive application.

If you do get paint protection, my installer cautioned me not to take the vehicle thru a carwash unless it was touchless. I would never in any event take a vehicle thru a carwash other than touchless. My dealer has a carwash on site with brushes so for the two times that I have it in for warranty service, I have made sure my service rep put down no car wash and I have a piece of paper that says Do Not Wash that I leave on the Dash. The dealer is moving in about six months to a brand new state of the art facility so hopefully the car wash will be touchless.

I agree with other comments, if you are thinking about both, then film protection first and paint protection after and not necessarily at the same shop, they are completely different processes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
looks nice..CTU. Roughly how much would that cost? One highly Yelped detailer in Bend uses Gtechniq--anyone have experience with that product?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Definitely don't do it without first getting your paint into 100% shape. Good detailers use special lighting to reveal swirl and imperfection that otherwise you cannot easily see.

·
Registered
617 Posts
looks nice..CTU. Roughly how much would that cost? One highly Yelped detailer in Bend uses Gtechniq--anyone have experience with that product?
Thanks! $425.00 for paint correction, the dealer's detailer left swirl marks on the car at delivery. I didn't notice at the time, but my detailer did when I took it to him for the coating. The Opti-Coat was additional $1,500.00, applied to everything except the glass, even the rims have it.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Why would you not do it if you were me? Haven't you had it done to your car?
What is it you are trying to accomplish? Less car care i.e. not waxing? If you think your car will look as good 1 or 2 years from now with the paint protection vs. a good cleaning and waxing (good quality carnuba wax) and a little elbow grease then go ahead and spend $1,500.00 +.

Everyone has their favorite type of paint protection. In the end the decision is yours and there are those that will try and justify one type over others. As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Do you know how many times you can take your car to a detail shop and have them put on a coat of wax and any other prep needed? You heard from @ctufieldops that he didn't even notice the swirls that were on his vehicle. Are you going to enter your vehicle into car shows?

Paint protection vs. paint film. I'd do the film. I have it on both of my Lexus vehicles only on the front and behind the wheel wells more to protect the car from debris and chips. Can't say you will get that protection from a spray on gel.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
What is it you are trying to accomplish? Less car care i.e. not waxing? If you think your car will look as good 1 or 2 years from now with the paint protection vs. a good cleaning and waxing (good quality carnuba wax) and a little elbow grease then go ahead and spend $1,500.00 +.

Everyone has their favorite type of paint protection. In the end the decision is yours and there are those that will try and justify one type over others. As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Do you know how many times you can take your car to a detail shop and have them put on a coat of wax and any other prep needed? You heard from @ctufieldops that he didn't even notice the swirls that were on his vehicle. Are you going to enter your vehicle into car shows?

Paint protection vs. paint film. I'd do the film. I have it on both of my Lexus vehicles only on the front and behind the wheel wells more to protect the car from debris and chips. Can't say you will get that protection from a spray on gel.
I couldn't disagree more... until you own and experience a vehicle with and without a ceramic coating you don't really have the right to bash it. I thought the price was outrageous at first, and still do think it is overpriced but the product itself it amazing.

It isn't about swirl marks or minor scratches for me, it is about how easy it is to clean and maintain; especially here in the Northeast. I could take a hose to my F-pace and basically rinse it off and it would be clean again. My other cars would have to be taken to a car wash every week and even then I was not happy with how it looked. Two weeks after I had a brand new Lexus GS I had swirls galore because of the auto car washes. Six months into my F-pace I do not have one swirl mark or scratch from me cleaning it, granted I do have a couple of minor chips from road debris.

You are right about one thing, a ceramic coating will not protect the car from road debris, but it will do a whole lot better than a carnauba wax would. Whether you decide on a ceramic coating or clear bra, you should be happy with both.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The first sentence is key. I don't think you are trying to bash those of us who opted for paint protection, rather, it is all about what you are after and what you are willing to pay. My reasons for going with CeramicPro are simple. I have three cars, and a one-car garage. In the winter the convertible goes in the garage. The F-Pace is outside all of the time, and I wanted something that would help protect the paint during these cold and gritty months. I cannot get to a detail shop, or even an indoor car wash that i trust, on a regular basis. The CeramicPro treatment gives me peace of mind that come spring, the paint will not be too beat up. That, and it does make the FP look like it is covered in black glass! (excuse to slip in Proud Picture here) (oh, and yes, in a car show):

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When I looked into paint protection, I decided on film (expel) because I discovered that with coatings they only last so long, and if you want to maintain your warranty you must have it redone. You have to decide what you want to protect from. Loss of paint gloss, color fade, chips, scratches, weathering, etc. For items like wheels, I can see where coating is the way to go.
Let's hear some opinions:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have Xpel on the entire hood, entire front bumper and the (backs of the) mirrors, plus CeramicPro Plus on the entire vehicle (including on the glass and wheels). It does look like glass, even on cloudy days. Cost ~$1900 for both.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts