Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my system set so that the paddles are only active in S (as opposed to D and S). I noticed the other day that when I switched the dial to S that the car still shifted on its own. I thought perhaps it was an engine safety feature so I switched to dynamic mode (from normal). That's when I noticed that the car still shifted on its own. Now, when I picked it up, and from what I've read in the manual, when in dynamic mode and with the dial set to S the car will absolutely not shift on its own. So, is there a way that I might have disabled the paddles? I haven't really done a lot of troubleshooting on it, but I was sitting here thinking about it and figured I'd see if anyone else has experienced this before I get out there to go home this afternoon. I have checked the setting to verify that it's still set to paddles in S only. I've made sure I was in dynamic mode before I started moving and I've gone to S from being stopped as well as going to S from D while moving. I'll play more this afternoon, but any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have mine set the same way (paddles only available in S) and I also noticed the transmission shifting on its own when in Dynamic/S and manual mode. Will have to play with it a bit more to understand what's going on. Let us know what your afternoon testing comes up with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, just drove home in both Normal and Dynamic and the paddles worked just as expected while the dial was at S. Not sure what happened before but all seems well now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the paddles set to "S" only and drive the car in auto mode all the time. I believe you have to use the paddles at some point to shut out the automatic shifting and I believe holding + in will revert back to auto.

Works for me when I want to just spin the dial and do a quick pass on the highway without bothering with manual shifting.

You get the same behavior in "Normal' if you have the paddles enabled.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My experience was using the paddles in Dynamic mode and the shifter in S and I was using the paddles to manually shift the transmission. I manually shifted to second gear and was holding the revs up to red line and as I was about to shift it automatically shifted into 3rd gear. Not what I expected. Only tried it the one time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The paddles have to be "activated" even when you're in Sport mode. Use one to shift gear and they become active. When you no longer want to shift manually, hold down the right paddle for 3 secs and it goes back to full auto. I have mine set so they work that way in both Sport and "Normal" mode, just in case I need to take charge.

As for upshifting on its own even when the paddles are active, I think it's a defensive measure. Every car I've had with this type of gear box will eventually shift up if you push it too hard, and may even shift down for you if you come to a stop in too high of a gear. I don't think anything is wrong with your system.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
The paddles have to be "activated" even when you're in Sport mode. Use one to shift gear and they become active. When you no longer want to shift manually, hold down the right paddle for 3 secs and it goes back to full auto. I have mine set so they work that way in both Sport and "Normal" mode, just in case I need to take charge.

As for upshifting on its own even when the paddles are active, I think it's a defensive measure. Every car I've had with this type of gear box will eventually shift up if you push it too hard, and may even shift down for you if you come to a stop in too high of a gear. I don't think anything is wrong with your system.
When used as instructed, the transmission is not meant to shift automatically while in manual mode under any circumstance. It's likely that user error may be to blame but it seems like it has been resolved.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
My experience was using the paddles in Dynamic mode and the shifter in S and I was using the paddles to manually shift the transmission. I manually shifted to second gear and was holding the revs up to red line and as I was about to shift it automatically shifted into 3rd gear. Not what I expected. Only tried it the one time.
Sure you did not accidentally hit the paddle? When in manual mode (paddles are being used to shift) the car will not shift itself, you can bounce off of the rev limiter for 15 minutes and it still would not shift, no matter what. Now if you have the shifter set to S and dont touch the paddles the car will shift itself.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sure you did not accidentally hit the paddle? When in manual mode (paddles are being used to shift) the car will not shift itself, you can bounce off of the rev limiter for 15 minutes and it still would not shift, no matter what. Now if you have the shifter set to S and dont touch the paddles the car will shift itself.
Absolutely sure I was in manual mode and that I didn't hit the paddles. Will have to test some more.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's something I'd like to see...:nerd:

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
That's something I'd like to see...:nerd:
Maybe not because when you bounce of the the rev limiter is will scare the ........well you know what out of you. BTW it does not do the engine any good to keep bouncing off the limiter.

As mentioned above when the paddle shifters are set to work in D or S means that you must use the + or - paddles in order to active manual shifting, otherwise the trans will shift normally. Once a paddle is used at that point shifting will always be manual until you hit the + paddle for several seconds at which point instead of seeing gears 1 thru 8 you will see a D appear. You can again go back into manual just by hitting one of the paddles.

That's the way it is supposed to work let me know if you find something different.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was kidding, Ken, lol. I speak fluent sarcasm, doesn't carry over well into text...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Confirmed again today. In Dynamic and S mode, used paddles to enter manual mode and then took it to red line in 2 and it shifted itself to 3. I have paddles enabled for S only, not D. Wondering if the car knows it's still in the 2000 mile "break-in" period?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Confirmed again today. In Dynamic and S mode, used paddles to enter manual mode and then took it to red line in 2 and it shifted itself to 3. I have paddles enabled for S only, not D. Wondering if the car knows it's still in the 2000 mile "break-in" period?
Is it possible for you to take a video of this happening? So you do not bounce off of redline at all? Thats a-shame because it makes a glorious round when it does. Very weird, don't see how its possible for yours to auto-upshift.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Is it possible for you to take a video of this happening? So you do not bounce off of redline at all? Thats a-shame because it makes a glorious round when it does. Very weird, don't see how its possible for yours to auto-upshift.
Resurrecting this. Now that there's over 2200 miles on the F-Pace I've noticed that I can now hold gears to redline. Must have been a break-in period safety feature. Maybe the exhaust pops and crackles will start now as well. :)

Reactions: Jman97
1 - 15 of 15 Posts