·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IS this letter going to be the same for the 18MY? wondering if some of the issues have corrected.
Good question, I just reviewed it and most or all of it is pretty model year agnostic so I think it's good to go for 2018. If new common issues crop up as 2018's come in and people report them here I'll add to letter if needed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It is a great starting point to convey some wishes and issues, I already doctored it up with some specifics I think are pertinent to my situation.

One question I have is.... how well did or do you think your dealer actually took this letter to heart and did all the things requested on it? Did you ask/request they sign off that they performed all enclosed on it?

I will certainly present it, but I'm not sure I can force him to follow it any more than his normal PDI......

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is a great starting point to convey some wishes and issues, I already doctored it up with some specifics I think are pertinent to my situation.

One question I have is.... how well did or do you think your dealer actually took this letter to heart and did all the things requested on it? Did you ask/request they sign off that they performed all enclosed on it?

I will certainly present it, but I'm not sure I can force him to follow it any more than his normal PDI......
When I took delivery the shop manager handed me a copy of the letter with each item initialed by him, all testing results stapled to it as well as their PDI report then my sales rep went through each gizmo setup item with me and initialed those.

The letter serves a few purposes:

1) puts dealer on notice that you know about PDI process and expect it to be followed with latest toolset used. It essentially just reinforces the PDI.

2) gives the new owner a checklist of items to remember when taking delivery so the excitement of delivery day doesn't overwhelm getting some essentials completed.

It is the composite result of many owners' reported problems and missteps by dealers. It was more important in the earlier days when dealers didn't have as much experience delivering these vehicles and the Jaguar knowledge base (e.g. Topix) and toolset used for PDI were not as extensive and refined as they are today. Also, for those newer to the forum, early on there were some systemic hiccups (bunk isolators, poor ATT SIM registration process, ICTP glitches, etc) that are history now and no longer included.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I took delivery the shop manager handed me a copy of the letter with each item initialed by him, all testing results stapled to it as well as their PDI report then my sales rep went through each gizmo setup item with me and initialed those.

The letter serves a few purposes:

1) puts dealer on notice that you know about PDI process and expect it to be followed with latest toolset used. It essentially just reinforces the PDI.

2) gives the new owner a checklist of items to remember when taking delivery so the excitement of delivery day doesn't overwhelm getting some essentials completed.

It is the composite result of many owners' reported problems and missteps by dealers. It was more important in the earlier days when dealers didn't have as much experience delivering these vehicles and the Jaguar knowledge base (e.g. Topix) and toolset used for PDI were not as extensive and refined as they are today. Also, for those newer to the forum, early on there were some systemic hiccups (bunk isolators, poor ATT SIM registration process, ICTP glitches, etc) that are history now and no longer included.
thumb up! 2) gives the new owner a checklist of items to remember when taking delivery so the excitement of delivery day doesn't overwhelm getting some essentials completed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Would the letter change at all with the 2018s? Do we need an updated letter?
I think this answered in post number 4 in this thread. Until the MY18's have been on the road enough for any new issues to be identified, I believe you are good to go with the current letter. That's my plan, assuming mine ever gets released from diesel jail.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
i have bought over 40 brand new cars & i think most dealers will throw this letter out & just do the minimal ck fluids & wash

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Feel free to not use the letter. I'd say at least 40-60 people on here have found it useful which you may see when you get to reading past threads on this forum.

The Jaguar PDI process is about 50 steps not including much of the setup stuff for ICTP and associated accounts covered in the letter so perhaps your past experience isn't a guide for what to expect with Jaguar. Included in these steps are items like a full run of diagnostic software to deliver completely up-to-date installation and making sure all outstanding service bulletins for that model are addressed.

The need for letter has lessened as dealers have gained experience with the F Pace and as early bugs have been eliminated. There are however lots of posted problems on this forum that could easily have been avoided using the letter up front. It serves a second purpose as well which is to keep the excitement of delivery day from overwhelming the owner by giving them a checklist to insure some key setup items have happened.

In my case my dealer service shop manager introduced himself on delivery day and handed me back a copy of the letter with each item initialed and some notated and a copy of his PDI reported stapled to it.

But again, don't use it if you see it as a waste of time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great letter, too bad Jaguar of London Ontario ignored it for my 2018 R-Sport rec'd on Saturday. Most was ok, but tires were at 50 psi and set for heavy load

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have sent it to my Dealer, in anticipation of picking up my 2018 R-Sport. It's just as much for me as it is for them - I'll take a copy with me & use it as a checklist, so I make sure that I go over everything I want. It was also a helpful reminder for them to install my license plate bracket (dropped that off a month ago), and *not* install the roof rack cross bars. I asked them to just put them in the boot - I'd like to zip around without them for a while. I still have the Mini with a roof rack for my SUP, anyway.

I also think it's a nice touch to tell the service department that I'd rather they put on a few extra miles & make sure everything is just right, before I take off with it (assuming it EVER gets to Wisco, that is).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great letter, too bad Jaguar of London Ontario ignored it for my 2018 R-Sport rec'd on Saturday. Most was ok, but tires were at 50 psi and set for heavy load
this is my point if your dealer delivers more than 1 car a week they are not going to have time to go thru this whole letter i understand up dates & recalls but setting tire pressure & looking for dents are we as consumers that helpless we cant do these small things. i know when my tires need air i dont go to the dealer i just fill them. just my 2 C worth

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The one good thing about the letter even if they don't follow it, is it lets the dealer know you aren't stupid and you are checking up on them. I don't know if they will follow it either, but they were impressed that I took the time to prepare it for them... ( they think I WROTE it...). It puts them on notice that you know a few things too and aren't going to just lets stuff slide....

If it helps me avoid one return trip, it will be well worth it.....

I'm also surprised more dealers don't monitor this site.. I'm sure they have better things to do, but if I was the GM of a Jag dealership, I would check it once a week for hot topics..... It would bring some good fodder to the Monday morning all hands meeting to help improve customer service for all models etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i agree if the dealers would ck these sites they would solve many warrenty problems that the factory has no clue about. i have been on a diesel site for 8 yrs now & they know more about our trucks than the dealer does sad but true

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dealer's service manager keeps an occasional eye on this site.

Much of the letter parallels the existing Jaguar mandated PDI process so they should be go through all these steps anyways. The dents and body alignment items came of out multiple customer experiences early on. For $75k+ they can darn well set the tire pressure the way I want it ;)

Stbentoak's point above is crucial, that is perhaps the most important function of the letter, establishing an equal relationship between customer and service department.

If you don't think it will be useful don't use it.

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've done some minor tweaking to the pre delivery letter based on last few month's problem posts on here and to reflect the new 3.0x of ICTP. Dropped a few items that we haven't heard a peep about it in a while. As a reminder this letter is a handy new owner checklist for delivery day even if you don't send it to your dealer. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts