Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Inhave 18c and I'm in the process on downloading the 19b.
I have a Jaguar tech friend and before he "pushed" mine via the VIN#, he said that some can be done without any assistance OTA, some need the push to enable and some need to come in to the dealership.
He also tells me that JLR corporate doesn't actually tell them anything about the systems and why it's such a mess, beyond what we already all know.
I very much agree with you guys, why no progress bar and does the vehicle need to be on or can it still use the wifi and update when the car is off? Seems a pity to have it running for 5 hours while it downloads esp when I can't see if it'll even work? What a joke!

·
F Pace Expert
2,663 Posts
Seconding skyking, just let it happen and ignore, don’t worry about keeping car going for whole download/install. My service manager recommended that but it wasn’t feasible for me in a condo building garage so I just let it do it’s thing over course of a few days. The exception would be where you are worried about data usage but were it me I’d switch over to cell phone connection for data and shut off sim for duration of download or connect to a fast home wifi and leave vehicle running until download is done. PS: i looked through all the technical info i have and could not figure out if wifi keeps going when vehicle is turned off. I doubt it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They updated my SVR in the shop while they were checking out the squealy rear brakes. took about 2 hours but am now on 19B. I don't know if they just hit the update button since it was already available, or did it the old-fashioned way.

I did notice some brief audio clip noise, which I hope was just a download issue with the playlist I had going... have not had it happen prior to now and haven't driven it enough to hear it again.

backup camera issue appears to be fixed now, no longer cuts out when backing into a parallel parking spot, at least 3/3 so far, previously was a 90% chance it would blank out the screen and then come back a few seconds later.

only remaining issues are the brakes which they ordered and will call me when ready to replace the pads and rotors, and I'll probably pay for an oil change while they're doing that (4200 miles)

for the wifi - pretty sure if the car is off the wifi is off, but the SIM will continue to operate (so you can check it's location/remote start/lock/unlock etc from the app)

·
F Pace Expert
2,663 Posts
for the wifi - pretty sure if the car is off the wifi is off, but the SIM will continue to operate (so you can check it's location/remote start/lock/unlock etc from the app)
As you point out, thr TCU does keeps some level of communications going for the built in SIM to support Remote stuff for a couple of days. That’s why I was wondering about Wifi since the actual data transmission is also handled by TCU. But, thinking it through more, since WiFi connection is handled through ICTP (eg all the early problems with having to reconnect on ICTP start) I think you are right, no ICTP, no WiFi.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yes I think Jaguar Remote communication (Remote start, Etc..) is thru the built in sim and good for the 5 year thing. But update data downloads are the "Other" sim thing and have to be watched for overages. I'll prob just tough it out and let it run on my home WiFi till downloaded each time. Been lucky so far with FreedomPoP. Don't want to goof up a good thing...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes I think Jaguar Remote communication (Remote start, Etc..) is thru the built in sim and good for the 5 year thing. But update data downloads are the "Other" sim thing and have to be watched for overages. I'll prob just tough it out and let it run on my home WiFi till downloaded each time. Been lucky so far with FreedomPoP. Don't want to goof up a good thing...

I'm not sure this is true. I don't have an 'other' SIM, and I've had a few OTA updates pop up, so those updates had to have come from either wifi when the car is parked beside my house, or the built in sim.

·
Registered
236 Posts
hmm interesting. one way to find out for sure. if you're not on 19B and eligible for the update, pop the SIM out, and see if it can find and/or downloand an update. also if your app still works to remote start. it wouldn't suprise me if they programmed it to pull down over your data plan first and built-in secondary to save a few $$

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So my F-Pace SVR is in for service this week, and I asked them to check the software to see if any updates were due. I had just received 19B_19.40 OTA, and my Service Advisor told me that there were software updates necessary. So it's seems OTA covers ICTP base software, but other software may need to be updated as well. So when you take your F-Pace in for normal service, I'd ask the SA to check to see if any other software needs updating even if you have been getting successful OTA updates.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm not sure this is true. I don't have an 'other' SIM, and I've had a few OTA updates pop up, so those updates had to have come from either wifi when the car is parked beside my house, or the built in sim.
I'd say you may be getting lucky enough to "automatically" hook up to your homes Wifi… Mine just won't do it.. I find it hard to believe it would download data on the built in SIM card, but I could be wrong...
hmm interesting. one way to find out for sure. if you're not on 19B and eligible for the update, pop the SIM out, and see if it can find and/or downloand an update. also if your app still works to remote start. it wouldn't suprise me if they programmed it to pull down over your data plan first and built-in secondary to save a few $$
It sounds like he is saying he doesn't even have the other card in to pop out ??

So my F-Pace SVR is in for service this week, and I asked them to check the software to see if any updates were due. I had just received 19B_19.40 OTA, and my Service Advisor told me that there were software updates necessary. So it's seems OTA covers ICTP base software, but other software may need to be updated as well. So when you take your F-Pace in for normal service, I'd ask the SA to check to see if any other software needs updating even if you have been getting successful OTA updates.
There is no doubt that theses OTA updates are ITCP related only. Its too bad we couldn't receive ANY needed updates over OTA for engine, Transmission, etc. updates...But I'm sure they will want it brought in for those things....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I successfully installed the OTA update yesterday from 18C to 19B. It looks like it took 2 tries based on the data usage, over 300mb total. I think it tried to install once, was not successful and then restarted from the beginning. I'm guessing this is because the first download was over about 8 short trips. Yesterday I let the car idle until it finished.

@stbentoak , I can't consistently get a WIFI connection either.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd say you may be getting lucky enough to "automatically" hook up to your homes Wifi… Mine just won't do it.. I find it hard to believe it would download data on the built in SIM card, but I could be wrong...
I'll check that when I get home.

It sounds like he is saying he doesn't even have the other card in to pop out ??
Yep. This i correct. I've just never bothered to get one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I didn’t see, what are the benefits going from 18B to the new update?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My update failed twice, after 40 minutes waiting each time

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Something odd happened on my first attempt and it redownloaded the update and tried to install. I've been stuck at "Installing new software..." for a long time. The F-Pace sat locked for a week and a half while on vacation and the update screen still says it's installing new software. Hopefully this sorts itself out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't think it tries to update when the car is off. Mine seemed to have trouble installing over a series of short trips. I ended up letting it idle for about half an hour and it completed.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I agree with MKaufm, I don't think it installed on shutdown, but rather start up or maybe a combination of both. I would leave it run for a bit like he did and see if it completes.

·
F Pace Expert
2,663 Posts
Something odd happened on my first attempt and it redownloaded the update and tried to install. I've been stuck at "Installing new software..." for a long time. The F-Pace sat locked for a week and a half while on vacation and the update screen still says it's installing new software. Hopefully this sorts itself out.
have patience

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yep, mine took over a week of short trips, and then a 3 hr drive to my daughters before it finished installing. I almost forgot about it ! They left out a few real world scenarios in the JAG FAQ's for this, like can you start and stop the down load and the install? Does the vehicle need to be or stay running during load or install? How big are the files we are down loading ( And how long would the downloads typically take..?) and that down loads with be coming over potentially paid for data on YOUR plan, not theirs...

·
Registered
150 Posts
So if you don't have a data plan, (or be connected via wifi), you will not get these system updates? Doesn't seem like a good way to get these SOTA updates out there. I can see the system using your data plan if it's available, if not available then it would download on JLR's dime. As far as how long these updates take, all depends on file size and your data connection.

·
Registered
924 Posts
How big are the files we are down loading ( And how long would the downloads typically take..?)
My initial SOTA update displayed the size of the update.
As far as how long, depends obviously on your connection. Agree they should display a progress bar.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts