Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got the email today as well but didn’t get a pop up yet.
i did have it in the list of things for scheduled service Friday so figured they had just enabled it for OTA.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
A cou[le of basic unanswered questions are:

Do you have to leave the vehicle run during download and install? Will it continue to load if you shut it off both downloading and installing?

I'd advise to be near to and hooked up to WiFi for this as it looks like it takes quite a long time and may be a pretty huge file. My WiFi connection is decent on comcast and it still took a solid 45 min to down load....

·
Registered
150 Posts
A cou[le of basic unanswered questions are:

Do you have to leave the vehicle run during download and install? Will it continue to load if you shut it off both downloading and installing?

I'd advise to be near to and hooked up to WiFi for this as it looks like it takes quite a long time and may be a pretty huge file. My WiFi connection is decent on comcast and it still took a solid 45 min to down load....

You don't need to leave the vehicle running during download and install. It will download and install in pieces while the vehicle has a wifi connection. If you make short trips, the entire process can take several days to complete as it will download what it can during your trip. Naturally leaving the vehicle running or while making a long trip it will download and install all in one shot...actually at least 2 shots as the system needs to be shut down after the download before it can install the update. An interesting thing I see with I'm not sure exactly which update but the ability to turn updates on or off is now not a choice. Future updates will be pushed to the vehicle when JLR decides to send one, your ability to remain at a particular software version will be gone.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
One crazy thing with my vehicle is it will NEVER voluntarily connect to wifi even while well in range. It is turned on but I have to physically prompt it to connect every time. I want to limit these down loads to WiFi as I'm on the Freedompop free plan ( Which works well for me BTW). Is there a way to only get download when you allow them VS any time they want to jam them?
Also, It needs no data during installation correct? How long does it take to actually install? Mine has shown installing for about 24 hrs, with the actual power on time being about 2 hrs during that 24...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My update downloaded as I was driving to work today. It is installing on the shutdown and should be ready to go when I start the car at lunch. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Update time will depend on what version you're currently running. Those on a 19A/B build were seeing update sizes under 10MB. Updates from 18B/C were seeing 100+MB downloads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don’t think these downloads use your data plan, provided you are still on JLR’s connect ( or whatever they call it!) Do you still have complimentary remote start etc?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don’t think these downloads use your data plan, provided you are still on JLR’s connect ( or whatever they call it!) Do you still have complimentary remote start etc?
Yes I do, But I was under the impression this update data came over your SIM cards data plan ( ATT, T Mobile, Freedom Pop...)
Am I wrong? It would be nice to know for sure....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check your data usage. It would make sense either way, but if it has to ride your data then it becomes a matter of is it worth paying for the 100MB or however much it takes compared to taking it in for service to have the software updated manually?
I’m on tmobile unlimited data plan for I think $10 or $15 a month for the car SIM on top of my Iphone’s unlimited for $30 or $35 a month. So definitely worth not having to make a 45 minute drive each way plus wait for it to get installed.
If your phone has more data than your car sim, maybe pop the sim out and connect it to your phone’s hot spot for the update?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Looks like 19B_19.40 was installed this morning for me. All looks good so far on my short run on lunch.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes I do, But I was under the impression this update data came over your SIM cards data plan ( ATT, T Mobile, Freedom Pop...)
Am I wrong? It would be nice to know for sure....
Your are correct, it comes over the sim. I have Freedom Pop as well and was hit with an overage charge.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yes mine downloaded as I was driving into the office this morning over my AT&T Cellular connection in the car. I have about a 40 minute drive.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Check your data usage. It would make sense either way, but if it has to ride your data then it becomes a matter of is it worth paying for the 100MB or however much it takes compared to taking it in for service to have the software updated manually?
Neither require taking it in now....
What it really comes down to is connected free over home WiFi, or pay a guaranteed overage with FreedomPoP...
If I start the download over Wifi at home, would it continue even if the vehicle is powered off, or does it need to sit and run while wifi downloading?
BTW I pay Zero per month with FPOP and still get all the traffic and related data needed. Any heavy data is handled by Phone functions.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Checked today when I got back into town. Currently on 18C and the download is 193MB. Can see the data meter on my AT&T SIM increase so the data is coming in over prepaid SIM. I did connect to WiFi for a bit but it still has data to download. Will check later tonight and get it connected to WiFi and let it finish downloading.

·
F Pace Expert
2,663 Posts
For those concerned about using up fixed data plans on their sims couldn’t you just switch the vehicle over to relying on cell phone when you know there is an update under way?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not sure about later versions, but the lack of progress bar in 18C is maddening when you're trying to gauge how complete the update process is.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not sure about later versions, but the lack of progress bar in 18C is maddening when you're trying to gauge how complete the update process is.
For sure, as I really don't know what I'm doing, and for all the Q&A on the jag website, Not one answer about if the vehicle has to stay on during phases or if it would get corrupted if interrupted ... How hard would it have been to show a progress download and install progress bar...? I let my vehicle run for an hour to finish... as delicate as this system is, I couldn't take a chance on it being all screwed up if I didn't let it finish. Anyone who writes instructions for processes should have to perform the process personally on at least 5 different vehicles before reporting....!

·
Registered
924 Posts
For sure, as I really don't know what I'm doing, and for all the Q&A on the jag website, Not one answer about if the vehicle has to stay on during phases or if it would get corrupted if interrupted ... How hard would it have been to show a progress download and install progress bar...?
No need to keep the car running. It will pause the download or installation and resume later.
I agree that a progress bar would be great.
Remember, not to long ago we didn't even have voice activated navigation.
Baby steps.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts