Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought of something that will help ease my mind and feel more comfortable about taking this car off the beaten path a little. I am not talking about going up Jeep trails, but some of the roads to campsites or trailheads in Colorado can get a little bumpy with lots of rock, and it's not a good idea to do this in a fully inflated tire (though I risked it, stupidly, in my Mercedes and turned out okay). Ideally you'd drop the PSI down to 20-25 for that kind of driving, but then you need a way to increase the PSI when you get back onto pavement. Most recently I experienced this on the Blue Lakes trail road (Road 7, I think, between Ridgway and Telluride) and on the road to the upper Mount Elbert trailhead south of Leadville.

Has anyone installed (or would you install) an air compressor to re-inflate your tires? I am wondering if there's space where the spare tire goes to accomodate a small compressor, if there's anywhere on the body behind panels or up under the rear bumper that would allow a hard-mount solution for a small compressor.

Colorado F Pacers, I'm looking at you!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Won't get my FP back from the dealer till tomorrow so I can't check but it'd probably just be easier to take a little portable compressor with you when you go off road. Given the lack of storage elsewhere, I seriously doubt you'd be able to fit a compressor anywhere. Especially not a compressor and a 15' air line.

There was quite a bit of room underneath the front seats. You might be able to fit a portable compressor underneath like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Inflator-Compressor-FamilyTool-Automotive/dp/B00YQE53XU/

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just thought of something that will help ease my mind and feel more comfortable about taking this car off the beaten path a little. I am not talking about going up Jeep trails, but some of the roads to campsites or trailheads in Colorado can get a little bumpy with lots of rock, and it's not a good idea to do this in a fully inflated tire (though I risked it, stupidly, in my Mercedes and turned out okay). Ideally you'd drop the PSI down to 20-25 for that kind of driving, but then you need a way to increase the PSI when you get back onto pavement. Most recently I experienced this on the Blue Lakes trail road (Road 7, I think, between Ridgway and Telluride) and on the road to the upper Mount Elbert trailhead south of Leadville.

Has anyone installed (or would you install) an air compressor to re-inflate your tires? I am wondering if there's space where the spare tire goes to accomodate a small compressor, if there's anywhere on the body behind panels or up under the rear bumper that would allow a hard-mount solution for a small compressor.

Colorado F Pacers, I'm looking at you!
I use a portable cordless "power inflator":
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P737-18-Volt-Inflator-Included/dp/B017JIWT9U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492106715&sr=8-2&keywords=cordless+air+compressor
I store it with other stuff in the Jag Accessory:
http://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/f-pace/interior/interior-
protection/t2h7752-luggage-compartment-collapsible-organiser/

Clipped to the side of the cargo area.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a portable is probably the best way to go. Just have to find one that is small and doesn't take too long to do the job. I'd feel a lot safer driving in the mountains if I had one.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I use this one, with a 12/120v power inverter on the Cayenne I traded for the FP, but have not used it with the FP yet. Mostly positive reviews, and I found it does about one PSI per minute. On larger tires - I have used it with my Wrangler that sports 33x12.5 on 15" rims - it chugs away and have gone from 10 PSI to 30 in about 20-25 minutes. Not the fastest, but of course you get what you pay for.

Husky 120-Volt Inflator-HY120 - The Home Depot

Edit: Looks like there is a 12v version if you do not want to mess with the inverter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A common complaint in the reviews of these things is blowing the supply fuse, since a lot of them draw current very close to the 15A limit. If you use a 12V inflator out in the middle of nowhere, I'd probably be sure to have a spare or two with you.

I've used this one for the last year to top up once or twice a month without incident. It has enough mass to feel like it's not a total kludge, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one like this, works well, not the fastest but very convenient coming in its own house so to speak.

https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-75-35664-Portable-Compressor-Light/dp/B003WJXADA

PS: I have yet to have the guts to do any semi serious off roading in vehicle though lots of time on steep dirt roads.
Do you camp? Most of the great dispersed camping sites are found at the end or along pretty rocky roads that could split your tread if you drive on it with tires at 35+psi. I got really lucky not having that happen to me in my Benz when I camped near Telluride last summer. The F Pace with 20-inch rims actually has a little more sidewall than my current car, even though I have 19-inch rims right now. I'd like to air down and feel safe along those roads.

I just thought of something, though...doesn't the F Pace have nitrogen-filled tires from the factory? Has anyone filled their tires with regular air? Do you just deplete the nitrogen and then fill with regular air? I've never had the green valve stem caps on any car I've owned.

I think I'd be willing to spend $300 for a really good portable unit that is efficient to avoid blowing a fuse and can inflate a tire by 10PSI or so within 5 minutes.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
I'm going to be doing more camping so will face some this soon. Last fall I got about 100 yards up Tomboy Road (rough spectacular road over Imogene Pass to Ouray) before chickening out and turning around.

I'm still trying to figure out if FP could handle White Rim Trail in Moab/Canyonlands. Did it once in my then Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just thought of something, though...doesn't the F Pace have nitrogen-filled tires from the factory? Has anyone filled their tires with regular air? Do you just deplete the nitrogen and then fill with regular air? I've never had the green valve stem caps on any car I've owned.

I think I'd be willing to spend $300 for a really good portable unit that is efficient to avoid blowing a fuse and can inflate a tire by 10PSI or so within 5 minutes.
I opt for an 80% nitrogen blend. Work fine. Tires stay up. And check out the 18V Ryobi pump from Home Depot for a portable unit. The one I have has a small LCD panel that displays your tire pressure and fills to a pre-set pressure then shuts off. Works great and was relatively cheap on sale.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A good travel-sized portable is the answer, DenverSeth. I've had one for 10 years. It is slow compared to newer compressors but works every time on every car. You have some great recommendations on this thread to choose from.

·
Administrator
1,970 Posts
I opt for an 80% nitrogen blend. Work fine.
Nitrogen in your tires?, track cars use 100% Nitrogen. You don't need that and BTW do you know the composition of the air we breathe?

By volume, dry air contains

78.09% nitrogen
20.95% oxygen
0.93% argon
0.04% carbon dioxide
Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1% at sea level.

So, if you are paying for a "blend" you are wasting your money. Nitrogen is moisture free and totally unnecessary for your routine daily drive.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Of course, @RoonieQ was eluding to the air around us with his "80% nitrogen blend" comment. I found it brilliant.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This may not help you but, how about a manual air compressor?

I use my bike pump to inflate my tires all the time. Gauge is pretty accurate plus I it's good exercise...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
This may not help you but, how about a manual air compressor?

I use my bike pump to inflate my tires all the time. Gauge is pretty accurate plus I it's good exercise...
"Good Exercise" ??? I don't think you are taking into consideration that you are talking to a group of people who complain that they have to go through the aggravation and very time consuming process of reaching into their pocket , and pulling out the FOB , just to open their doors !!! Or that they have to reach ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way over to the center console to MUTE the Radio !!! :eek: >:) ;) >:) :laugh:

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
188 Posts
"Good Exercise" ??? I don't think you are taking into consideration that you are talking to a group of people who complain that they have to go through the aggravation and very time consuming process of reaching into their pocket , and pulling out the FOB , just to open their doors !!! Or that they have to reach ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way over to the center console to MUTE the Radio !!! :eek: >:) ;) >:) :laugh:
Or worse yet, reach all the way to the console and push the "ASS" button!

Reactions: VZX-CO and GRVR
1 - 18 of 18 Posts