Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Had my SVR for 2 weeks now, when delivered the oil level was 2 notches down, now after 1200km it is 5 notches down the screen says the oil level is OK. Should I top it up or wait until it tells me to add oil. For those of you who have had your SVRs for a while do they use much oil?

Andrew

·
Registered
1967 Massey Ferguson 165
138 Posts
I don't have an SVR, but I shouldn't think that any new car should use oil. I have a 1963 Jaguar that uses a bit of oil and leaks a bit of oil, but back then "a Jaguar that did not leak oil had no oil in it"!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think my 2020 was delivered right at the low line. After many thousands of mile I went back and checked it myself. It said something that let me know I should go buy a quart. But it didn't say it was low unless I went in and looked. Not sure how your car works, but the 2020 is a pain to get right reading out of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my 2020 was delivered right at the low line. After many thousands of mile I went back and checked it myself. It said something that let me know I should go buy a quart. But it didn't say it was low unless I went in and looked. Not sure how your car works, but the 2020 is a pain to get right reading out of.
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Many new engines will burn some oil during the first few thousand miles while the rings are seating. Just depends on the manufacturer and how you break in the motor. But obviously keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
21 F-pace SVR
71 Posts
How reliable is the digital oil level indicator in the 21 models? I took my SVR to the dealer (first visit as a new jag owner) for the incontrol software update and while there I had them do an oil early change at 3,500 miles. Now my indicator is showing overfilled at cool engine temp. One would think it’s pretty hard to mess up something so basic but I’ve not had great service experiences with other brands. Is this something I should have them look at?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Do the new P400 models have no dipstick also? Not an improvement in my opinion....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My S was overfilled after a previous service. Service Manager said it was ok to drive the short (less than 10 miles) distance back so they could remove the excess. I always check the electronic dipstick now before leaving the dealership. From the manual on overfill:
Seek qualified assistance immediately. Do not drive the vehicle as this will cause serious damage to the engine”.

·
Registered
21 F-pace SVR
71 Posts
My S was overfilled after a previous service. Service Manager said it was ok to drive the short (less than 10 miles) distance back so they could remove the excess. I always check the electronic dipstick now before leaving the dealership. From the manual on overfill:
Seek qualified assistance immediately. Do not drive the vehicle as this will cause serious damage to the engine”.
Thanks sky! Now when I tap the service information menu, my oil reading went back to showing “information unavailable” (which it has done since I took delivery) and only displays my VIN. I’m thinking perhaps it’s an issue with the sensor or software vs it actually being overfilled. The dealer also did a software reprogram for the VSS issue as well as some other wonky software related things I was seeing like this.

I drove to and from work yesterday (around 100 miles round trip) and there doesn’t seem to be any issues. If there was an issue, would the vehicle throw a warning light on the dash? Or is the only measure the level indicator which doesn’t seem to work in my vehicle?

thnx!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My understanding of an overfill is foaming of the oil can occur, which is not a good thing.
There will be no warning or check engine lights.
As far as the electronic dipstick, you can only check the oil with the engine off.

The engine oil level is not monitored when the engine is running, or when the vehicle is in motion.

Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

1. The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.
2. The vehicle is on level ground.
3. The engine oil has reached its normal working temperature (oil is hot).
4. The engine has been switched off for 10 minutes. The system does not give an accurate reading until the oil level has stabilised.

The oil level can then be checked as follows:
1. Switch on the vehicle's ignition. Do not start the engine. See SWITCHING ON THE IGNITION
2. Select Oil Level from the Vehicle Information instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

The engine oil level indicator is displayed in the message centre.

Reactions: mleigh360

·
Registered
21 F-pace SVR
71 Posts
My understanding of an overfill is foaming of the oil can occur, which is not a good thing.
There will be no warning or check engine lights.
As far as the electronic dipstick, you can only check the oil with the engine off.

The engine oil level is not monitored when the engine is running, or when the vehicle is in motion.

Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

1. The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.
2. The vehicle is on level ground.
3. The engine oil has reached its normal working temperature (oil is hot).
4. The engine has been switched off for 10 minutes. The system does not give an accurate reading until the oil level has stabilised.

The oil level can then be checked as follows:
1. Switch on the vehicle's ignition. Do not start the engine. See SWITCHING ON THE IGNITION
2. Select Oil Level from the Vehicle Information instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

The engine oil level indicator is displayed in the message centre.
Thanks Sky. I did exactly what you prescribed and it still shows overfilled. Will call dealer tomorrow. Appreciate the assist!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts