Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a very low mileage driver and the maintenance schedule calls for a once a year oil and filter change for my mileage.

Notwithstanding the maintenance schedule, I want to change my oil and filter every six months. I just don't reset the maintenance schedule on the computer at the 6 month interval as it is not scheduled maintenance. Followed the same schedule with my previous two Bimmers.

Most technicians will tell you that changing oil more frequently than the maintenance schedule call for, if you are a short distance, stop and go driver with low mileage is the best medicine you can give your vehicle.

I am coming up to the six month mark soon and I have purchased aftermarket oil filters on EBay for about 1/3 of the OEM filter. I now have a supply for a few years.

My question is what are the suggestions for oil, make, type and viscosity other than the Jaguar oil available at the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also having the same inquiry~ I feel it will be fine to change oil and filter whenever the onboard computer tells you to, I thought it's free to let the dealership handle the oil and filter change?

When you say: "Most technicians will tell you that changing oil more frequently than the maintenance schedule call for, if you are a short distance, stop and go driver with low mileage is the best medicine you can give your vehicle." Do you mind to elaborate? I don't seem to understand what you mean by "with low mileage is the best medicine."

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am a very low mileage driver and the maintenance schedule calls for a once a year oil and filter change for my mileage.

Notwithstanding the maintenance schedule, I want to change my oil and filter every six months. I just don't reset the maintenance schedule on the computer at the 6 month interval as it is not scheduled maintenance. Followed the same schedule with my previous two Bimmers.

Most technicians will tell you that changing oil more frequently than the maintenance schedule call for, if you are a short distance, stop and go driver with low mileage is the best medicine you can give your vehicle.

I am coming up to the six month mark soon and I have purchased aftermarket oil filters on EBay for about 1/3 of the OEM filter. I now have a supply for a few years.

My question is what are the suggestions for oil, make, type and viscosity other than the Jaguar oil available at the dealer.
For oil I would suggest you use the viscosity specified by JLR, full synthetic, and a good quality product like Castrol.
I would however not use a non JLR filter, unless you get it approved by your dealer In writing.
This way you should not have any issues with warranty in the future.
Make sure if you are doing it yourself, you keep good, accurate, detailed records of the maintenance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would however not use a non JLR filter, unless you get it approved by your dealer In writing.
This way you should not have any issues with warranty in the future.
I agree, if you use a aftermarket filter, and have motor problems, the first thing they will say is filter failure caused the problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stop and start, short distance, extreme heat or cold are all hard on an engine and the useful life of motor oil. spending a little more each year to change the oil every six months is according to most technicians the way to ensure less wear on the motor.

as for free changes there is no free maintenance in Canada only the first service. even in the USA only scheduled maintenance is covered, if you want to do extra like extra oil changes, you pay.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I guess I fall into the low annual miles category..I have always went the full year but well under the 15,000 miles mark and the dealer did the oil change...I try to drive a good distance on the highway whenever I get a chance, to get a good hot run on the engine....Boils out any moisture in the oil from the short runs to Sonic and back.

I don't have an oil sucker like the dealer does..But there is an oil pan drain plug if you want to do it the old fashioned way..Which I recommend at least at the first oil change to get all the sediments off the bottom that the sucker don't get..We measured and about 1/8 of quart of old oil remains on the bottom...(that is, if you can talk your dealer's tech into removing the underbelly panel..which is held in place by 27 million friggin' 10MM bolts...Once you get past that..oil draining is a snap...

Anyway, refilling with new oil filter should takes about 7.6 quarts (V6/3.0L) ....Monitor the last quart and a half while filling with your Oil Level sensor reading in the Vehicle Information menu to be sure you don't over fill. (See my post about http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/25249-oil-level-check.html)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I fall into the low annual miles category..I have always went the full year but well under the 15,000 miles mark and the dealer did the oil change...I try to drive a good distance on the highway whenever I get a chance, to get a good hot run on the engine....Boils out any moisture in the oil from the short runs to Sonic and back.

I don't have an oil sucker like the dealer does..But there is an oil pan drain plug if you want to do it the old fashioned way..Which I recommend at least at the first oil change to get all the sediments off the bottom that the sucker don't get..We measured and about 1/8 of quart of old oil remains on the bottom...(that is, if you can talk your dealer's tech into removing the underbelly panel..which is held in place by 27 million friggin' 10MM bolts...Once you get past that..oil draining is a snap...

Anyway, refilling with new oil filter should takes about 7.6 quarts (V6/3.0L) ....Monitor the last quart and a half while filling with your Oil Level sensor reading in the Vehicle Information menu to be sure you don't over fill. (See my post about http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/25249-oil-level-check.html)
Great taste in vehicles but you need to upgrade your palate. Sonic does not cut it with a Jag!!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Reactions: MTGRL

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Got my Oil changed today..7.6qts of that liquid gold of Castrol's..0w20..Now I'm happy my engine is well broke in.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with Toronto's comments on short distance driving and extreme weather. I'm not quite as extreme on changing synthetic oil every 6 months, but did pay oop to have an early initial oil change. Being in the US, I'll get free annual changes for the balance of the warranty period. Given moderate climate and mileage, I'm fine with that going forward.

One important consideration I would make is to use an OEM filter and oil. Secondary market filters often do not match the design and function needed on high performance engines. Also, in the manual you'll find a spec standard on the oil that only comes on Castrol EDGE Professional. You can generally find an alternative source on Amazon or eBay that will save you a bit vs the dealer.

I hate for anyone to lose their warranty coverage over a few bucks on an oil change -- especially someone who's trying to take extra care of their car.

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Good points uncheel..

I have an extra qt on hand I got at the dealer for perodic top-ups if I need..they sold the Castrol Edge Pro..for $9.95/qt...Not out of line at all IMO..PepBoys sells their Castrol Edge (not the Pro stuff the dealer uses) but they get about the same price for it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Has anyone found the Diesel oil anywhere beside the dealership? In my short time searching I only find it over in Europe. Castrol Edge Professional E 0w-30 to spec STJLR.03.5007

Has any one found anywhere in the states that this can be bought relatively easy?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Typically..the oil recommended for JAG cars can only be bought in Europe or at a US dealer..kind of a monopoly IMO

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always was one to do a oil change at 1/2 the milage they recommend. I then always trade in vehicles around 50,000 miles, and someone gets a well maintained vehicle, at my cost.
Now with the F-Pace warrantee I figure I will be trading it in about when the car comes out of warrantee, I am just going to save the money, and go along with what they recommend.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I always was one to do a oil change at 1/2 the milage they recommend. I then always trade in vehicles around 50,000 miles, and someone gets a well maintained vehicle, at my cost.
Now with the F-Pace warrantee I figure I will be trading it in about when the car comes out of warrantee, I am just going to save the money, and go along with what they recommend.
Hey Lawn mower man...You are a guy after my heart...I don't put more than 5000 to 7000 miles a year on mine..so I'm content with the annual oil change schedule...I did however, just change the oil/filter with the factory spec'd oil at the dealer at 1500 miles just to get the original break-in crap out, on my dime.;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Lawn mower man...You are a guy after my heart...I don't put more than 5000 to 7000 miles a year on mine..so I'm content with the annual oil change schedule...I did however, just change the oil/filter with the factory spec'd oil at the dealer at 1500 miles just to get the original break-in crap out, on my dime.;)
Lawn Mower man. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Nice!!!:)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Lawn Mower man. :)
THANKS Kubota , now I am suffering from *Lawn Mower Envy* !!! ;)
What's that , about $20K worth , with the bucket ???

NOW , for the important question !
How Much for the *Good Humor Ice Cream* Sign ??? >:) THAT'S an AWESOME Piece !!! :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

How Much for the *Good Humor Ice Cream* Sign ??? >:) THAT'S an AWESOME Piece !!! :)
..But I do know of a sheriff that's looking for whoever took the Stop sign and Speed limit sign from the road out front. :nerd:

Reactions: MTHM and GRVR

·
Registered
118 Posts

About $13,000 with the mower deck. Love that little tractor.

The sign isn't for sale it was a gift, but look at a few of the trucks I restored in the past. I had a extensive collection of GH stuff at one time. I use to restore the trucks and do corporate events in the Chicago area. I have restored 9 trucks over the years, but now they are too hard to find.
The stop sign and speed limit sign all were acquired legally. 0:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts