Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I had an Oil and Filter Change at the Dealer as part of the first servicing.

After the servicing and when checking the fill level, I had a constant overfill warning. Returned to the dealer and they drained a small amount off as I recall about 200ml or less than a 1/4 of a litre.

From that point on when I check the fill level, mostly it indicates maximum fill but within the okay range. Once in a while and there is no pattern to when this occurs, the indicator again warns of an overfill.

I returned to the dealer again but they were not able to replicate the condition and told me that the oil level was within recommended capacity.

I told them I think it must be a defective sensor and they agree it could be but will not change it because they can not replicate the condition and they say no codes of any problems are on the computer system.

Anybody have a similar experience?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your oil level may just be a hair above the MAX level so the overfill warning will appear under certain conditions. Different oil temp / oil pressure and engine loading may affect the oil level a bit... try remove another 1/4 L and see what happen. Oil level between MIN and MAX are OK. Personally i would recommend 3/4 level at the oil level meter. As I told in a recent thread, topping up the oil at MAX level could risk yourself at overfilling.

Does your engine have a dipstick btw?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your oil level may just be a hair above the MAX level so the overfill warning will appear under certain conditions. Different oil temp / oil pressure and engine loading may affect the oil level a bit... try remove another 1/4 L and see what happen. Oil level between MIN and MAX are OK. Personally i would recommend 3/4 level at the oil level meter. As I told in a recent thread, topping up the oil at MAX level could risk yourself at overfilling.

Does your engine have a dipstick btw?
I have a S model supercharged motor, does it have dip? My BMW did not? Frankly I never looked.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a S model supercharged motor, does it have dip? My BMW did not? Frankly I never looked.
I guess you have a 3.0L petrol V6. Then you should have no dipstick and you have to check your oil level in your car computer. I ask because those 2.0 engines have a dipstick and have different procedures to check oil level. One could be misreading the level if they are not following the correct procedures. You are good as your computer only display the oil level when the condition is OK.

If your level keep reminding at the MAX level, I'd suggest you remove 1/4 L oil and test again.
If your level is 3/4 full (at the meter) or less but keep having overfill warning, your sensor may be defective.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a S model supercharged motor, does it have dip? My BMW did not? Frankly I never looked.[/QUOTE

If you are checking the oil level too soon after turning off the car it might show either oil level not available or over fill. Please wait for at least 10 minutes or may be 15 mins and then try checking it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
This is prob one area where automation HASN"T fixed something. Sorry, but I would be always nervous in a vehicle that didn't have a dipstick..(Thank you 20D), How many threads are there on here about sensors that have misread, malfunctioned, thrown errant codes etc. Oil level is something that needs to be physically checked, if for nothing more than peace of mind.

That being said, it's pretty highly unlikely that the 3.0 burns any oil either, and as long as all is well... well, all is well. But I always make it a habit to pull that stick at least once every 2 weeks. You can learn a lot by looking at the level and condition of the oil as you pull the stick out.....

Reactions: DPK and TLockhart

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
About a month ago I had an Oil and Filter Change at the Dealer as part of the first servicing.

After the servicing and when checking the fill level, I had a constant overfill warning. Returned to the dealer and they drained a small amount off as I recall about 200ml or less than a 1/4 of a litre.

From that point on when I check the fill level, mostly it indicates maximum fill but within the okay range. Once in a while and there is no pattern to when this occurs, the indicator again warns of an overfill.

I returned to the dealer again but they were not able to replicate the condition and told me that the oil level was within recommended capacity.

I told them I think it must be a defective sensor and they agree it could be but will not change it because they can not replicate the condition and they say no codes of any problems are on the computer system.

Anybody have a similar experience?
Yes, I've had it both times after the dealer has changed my oil. My situation is this, go to pick up car at dealer. Turn it off, engine is semi cold, check oil, it's fine. Drive home. Leave car for 10 minutes, check oil again and it's overfilled. If the oil is cool, the level if fine. If the oil is hot, it's overfilled.

Told the dealership this and they say it's fine, they confirmed they put in the proper amount of oil. I'm not so sure. I think they are filling the oil when cold at my dealership and running it right up to the line and then when it gets hot it ends up reading overfilled.

How do you guys suggest removing a 1/4 liter or quart of oil from the V6 since there is no dipstick? Is there a port i could slide a oil suction pump straw down to do that which I have not yet found?

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Already have one of the extractor due to my boat. I never knew the F-Pace had this! Awesome. Thanks for the info DPK!

5 minutes after reading this post, my F-Pace is no longer showing overfilled! THANKS DPK!

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
@PA-FPace-F...You are so welcome..Always happy to help..;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a S model supercharged motor, does it have dip? My BMW did not? Frankly I never looked.[/QUOTE

If you are checking the oil level too soon after turning off the car it might show either oil level not available or over fill. Please wait for at least 10 minutes or may be 15 mins and then try checking it.
Patience is not my virtue but I will try your suggestion when the overfill appears and see if that works. Actually in the last week or so the problem seems to have disappeared. Could be a little cooler weather we were having. Weather has warmed up again so I will see if it reappears and it weather related.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Along this line again, I noticed after my annual service that my oil level is about I'd say 1/4 of a quart too high... about 1/4 of an inch above the full mark. Mind you the distance between the low oil level and the full level marks on the dipstick is probably 2 inches on a 20D. ( I assume that distance may equal 1 quart?)

Anything to worry about?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Stbentoak, I would tell your service advisor about this. I would ask him about it being that high and see what they say. If you have an extractor, I would pull a little out if you could. It can't be good for it to be high.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I do have an extractor, So I'll prob do it on my own. I don't REALLY think it will hurt anything... but my opinion is they extracted it but didn't get all of it, and then just dumped in the 7 quarts nominal on top. Its better than being a quart low, so I'll prob just deal with it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts