Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't want to wait around for the 10 minute timer to check your oil after a run, or if you want to check the oil level when it has sat for some time...

There is a quick check method or a short-cut if you will, you can perform;

1. Open the Hood

2. Get in the car with the key-fob and close the doors

3. Push start button without touching the brake

4. Let all the electronics settle down and then use the Menu/OK button on the left side of the steering wheel...navigate around until you get the "Vehicle Information" screen..

5. Select "Oil Level"..If it says "information not available"...Press the cruise control "CANcel" button twice..the Oil Level will then be displayed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dip stick??

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to get into any hairy discussions about the Dip Stick or lack there of...

But I too hate not having one to check the oil with

..Instead Jag has used this ultra-sonic method of measuring oil level..a PIA IMO.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
DPK , For being a New Owner , YOU sure are one heck of a *INFORMATIVE* SUM BEACH !!! >:)
That's a *Compliment* , by the way !!! ;)
I also Greatly Appreciate the way you take the time to *Break It Down* for "Dip Sticks" like GR !!! :)
THANKS , DPK !!!

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
575 Posts
No dip sticks on these? Does anybody do their own oil changes? What happens if you have to add oil? Is it just a guess as to how much to add at time based on what the electronic readout tells you? It does seem like a PIA.

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
Only diesels have dip sticks. If you need oil it will tell you. From the online OM.

Engines without a dipstick feature an electrical monitoring system. The engine oil level is not monitored when the engine is running, or when the vehicle is in motion.

Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

1. The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.

2. The vehicle is on level ground.

3. The engine oil has reached its normal working temperature (oil is hot).

4. The engine has been switched off for 10 minutes, as the system does not give an accurate reading until the oil level has stabilized.

The oil level can then be checked as follows:

1. Switch on the ignition (do not start the engine).

2. Select Oil Level from the Vehicle Information menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

The engine oil level indicator is displayed in the message center.

An indication of the oil level is displayed in the indicator. Messages to the right of the indicator advise of any action to be taken.

Message - Action
OK - No action required.
Overfilled - Seek qualified assistance immediately. Do not drive the vehicle as this will cause serious damage to the engine.
Low - Add 1.6 U.S. quarts (1.5 liters) of oil, then recheck the level.
Critically Low - Seek qualified assistance immediately.
Add XX Quarts - Add the advised quantity of oil to the engine, then recheck the level.
Not Available - The oil level is stabilizing. Switch off the ignition, wait 10 minutes, then recheck the oil level display.
ENGINE OIL LEVEL MONITOR SYSTEM FAULT Seek qualified assistance immediately.

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
BTW it beats getting out of the car opening the hood finding a rag just to check the oil level. I know you want to do that while in a jacket and tie.:eek:

·
Registered
575 Posts
BTW it beats getting out of the car opening the hood finding a rag just to check the oil level. I know you want to do that while in a jacket and tie.:eek:
You do that BEFORE you go out for the evening in your shnazzy duds. I much prefer to have a dipstick, thought sounds like a personal problem. :eek:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Naw, I'd rather check it myself. Don't trust those new fangled electronic things. Glad I have a dip stick with mine :D

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
You do that BEFORE you go out for the evening in your shnazzy duds. I much prefer to have a dipstick, thought sounds like a personal problem. :eek:
Naw, I'd rather check it myself. Don't trust those new fangled electronic things. Glad I have a dip stick with mine :D
Not worried about oil level in cars. Cars are to new to burn oil and if there was a leak I would see it. I change my own oil not afraid to get dirty. Have two lifts to work on my vehicles. Dip stick is the least of my problems.>:)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If you don't want to wait around for the 10 minute timer to check your oil after a run, or if you want to check the oil level when it has sat for some time...

There is a quick check method or a short-cut if you will, you can perform;

1. Open the Hood

2. Get in the car with the key-fob and close the doors

3. Push start button without touching the brake

4. Let all the electronics settle down and then use the Menu/OK button on the left side of the steering wheel...navigate around until you get the "Vehicle Information" screen..

5. Select "Oil Level"..If it says "information not available"...Press the cruise control "CANcel" button twice..the Oil Level will then be displayed.
Hood doesn't have to be open.

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hood doesn't have to be open.

That is good to know, thanks...My XF, it does need to be open, so I figured they did the same for the F-Pace..

I just tried it after the car had been setting a few hours and you're right..I didn't need to open the hood...

Question..Did you try it right after a run too, within the 10 min timer time frame?..I didn't start and run to check that out...I will tomorrow though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not worried about oil level in cars. Cars are to new to burn oil and if there was a leak I would see it. I change my own oil not afraid to get dirty. Have two lifts to work on my vehicles. Dip stick is the least of my problems.>:)
Not to play devil's advocate here, but that is most certainly not true. Cars with improperly set rings can go through oil with no leaking under the car and very little smoke noticed from the exhaust. And if the oil is from a hose or fitting higher up on the engine, it could pool on top of a component and you wouldn't see it as it cooked off from the hot engine. Neither is catastrophic oil loss, but it IS oil loss that you won't see.

That being said, the lack of a dipstick is most definitely not going to steer me away from buying one of these in a few months. They would have to leave out the engine for that to happen ;)

Since you mentioned changing your own oil (as I like to do), I hear the service intervals for these are pretty long. Is this something you plan on doing (or have down) in between the dealer service?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
That is good to know, thanks...My XF, it does need to be open, so I figured they did the same for the F-Pace..

I just tried it after the car had been setting a few hours and you're right..I didn't need to open the hood...

Question..Did you try it right after a run too, within the 10 min timer time frame?..I didn't start and run to check that out...I will tomorrow though.
Yeah, im glad they evolved because that would annoy me if I had to open the hood in order to check the oil from inside of the car.

Unsure what you mean by the 10 min timer time frame? Can you elaborate on that?

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
The 10 minute timer would be the time in theory needed for the majority of oil in the upper engine area to make its way down into the oil pan.

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
........... it could pool on top of a component and you wouldn't see it as it cooked off from the hot engine. Neither is catastrophic oil loss, but it IS oil loss that you won't see. Since you mentioned changing your own oil (as I like to do), I hear the service intervals for these are pretty long. Is this something you plan on doing (or have down) in between the dealer service?
I take no issue with your statement but in modern engines if the piston rings are not seated properly you've got bigger problems than loosing a little oil. On the other hand I may not see it but if it is being burnt off in the engine compartment I will surely smell it.

What would make anyone think that an engine could not run a quart or so less than full and still not have a problem. The one year or 15K mile free oil change is something I would take advantage of. But in the interim with a two and four post lift I'm able to do any work I need. Fifteen minutes and the oil is changed. Simple and easy. Bring your car to my hobby garage and I'll show you.

I know the dip stick issue will not be a deterrence but many JLR vehicles have not had one and I don't see people getting rid of them for that reason. Hope you get to enjoy yours.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ken, I appreciate the offer, but I'm quite handy with my cars. I can easily do the oil in my driveway no problem :). When I first heard the one year/15K service interval for the oil, I was a little shocked....and knew I'd be changing mid-year all by my lonesome.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts